Buying new headphones! HELP!
Jun 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SunnyDaze

New Head-Fier
Well, I'm thinking about upgrading the cans. I currently own Grado sr225's and sr60's. I'm considering going to the sr325is's, AKG 702's, Sen 600/650's, or Beyer 880's or 990's. Part of the "problem" is this: I have grown fond of the Grado sound. They were the first insight that I had into the audiophile realm. I bought the 225's as a birthday present to myself when I turned 24. I plugged them into my Pioneer SX-450 (oh, how I wish I still had her), and I was blown away.

Since then, I've owned and heard equipment that I feel is more "neutral" and faithful to the source material. I know that Grados are famous for that Grado "sound". People either love it and swear by it, or detest it and move on from Grado.

My question is this: In the $300 price range, which cans will yield the most faithful reproduction of the source material? I've read the AKG K701/K702 vs rs325is vs hd 600 vs 880 vs 990 arguments. Unfortunately, I have zero experience with Sens, Beyers, or AKG's. I was wandering if anyone here would like to toss in their two cents concerning my dilemma.

Again, my decision will not be based upon multiple factors of subjectivity. Statements such as "I like the sound of the _________'s because of their ability to ____________" do not interest me. I absolutely love how my 225's sound. I'm not looking to become enamored with the cans that I purchase, I'm simply looking to hear the most true reproduction of the audio signal within my price range. 

Thanks a billion folks! 

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 11
I don't think there is such a thing with headphones. They all present sound in their own way, you just have to find one that you like. Unforunately the only sure way to do that is to listenfor yourself. Any of those can you mentioned are good candidates.

If your not amping, personally I'd skip the AKG and the Senns which will only sound their best with proper amping.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 11
Most faithful to the source material? Beyer DT48 probably.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Everybody's definition of neutral or transparent is different, you'll have to hear for yourself to find the headphone which fits your definition of neutral. Buy from a store with good return policy or buy used.

Many of those headphones you listed will perform better if they're amped properly, decent headphone amps are affordable fortunately. I've heard several Dynalo based amps and I think they are really good, I've not heard the Sheer Audio HA-006 myself, but knowing it is based on Dynalo, I'm confident that it is a decent amp. Another amp to consider is the new Schitt headphone amp, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497614/cool-looking-schiit
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497902/schiit-asgard-unboxing-and-first-impressions

Finally, the following thread is good for both newcomers and experienced members:
http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 11
May I ask why Tigerhawk? Actually, the 702's are the ONE set of cans on this list that I'll get to preview beforehand. One of my friends is about an hours drive away, but has a set I can hear. 

I like the Grados because I like the Grado sound. I'm not so much interested in getting cans that I "like" in terms of flavor. I suppose I'm after accuracy. Also, like Francis said, there may be no such thing. It could all boil down to personal preference.

In which case, I just keep my 225's and 60's and be happy! :) 

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 11
The K702s can make some of the most intimate music sound distant and detached, especially coming from more upfront headphones.  This especially happens with a lot of electric guitars and such.  Bass is there but overall I found it to be lacking; it has the punch when it's needed in the song, but then other times it is just non-existent.  The clarity and quality of the audio is excellent of course, and the spaciousness adds for an interesting experience, but IMO the headphone is more analytical than musical.  Even though the K702s sound great for classical, I actually found the HD600s to seem more realistic a lot of times.  Its just as if the K702s stretch the sounds out too far, and this really flops for music that's not meant to be that way.  The HD600s for example, seem to be jack of all trades, and sound the most natural of the two headphones; they make intimate music sound like it should, and spaced out open music sound as it should, nothing else.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 11
Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone. As far as the DT48's go, I'd like to keep it open. I have B-A-D hearing from working as a bouncer during my undergrad. The pressure of a closed can drives me up a wall. 

Honestly, I'm leaning least toward the 325's. From what I gather, a lot of people don't consider going from the 225 to the 325 an upgrade at all. On headphone.com, the response graph of the DT880 and the K702 are very similar. Of course, in the real world...

What about the AT ATH-AD700's? Are they worth a consideration? As far as the 600's go, a fellow who lives near me is willing to let me try his 650's out. I believe he has a set of 600's as well. I really should capitalize on that. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone. As far as the DT48's go, I'd like to keep it open. I have B-A-D hearing from working as a bouncer during my undergrad. The pressure of a closed can drives me up a wall. 

Honestly, I'm leaning least toward the 325's. From what I gather, a lot of people don't consider going from the 225 to the 325 an upgrade at all. On headphone.com, the response graph of the DT880 and the K702 are very similar. Of course, in the real world...

What about the AT ATH-AD700's? Are they worth a consideration? As far as the 600's go, a fellow who lives near me is willing to let me try his 650's out. I believe he has a set of 600's as well. I really should capitalize on that. 

Please, don't even think about the AD700s lol.  They aren't that great for music anyways.  Thought you wanted to go in the $300 or so range anyways, not $8X.  Another thing regarding the K702s, is that they are indeed harder to drive than the HD600s and most other headphones.  At least try out the HD600s and HD650s, you may like them.  I haven't tried the HD650 but a lot of people say its slightly darker than the HD600 and so on.  Ultimately, it comes down to trying out the headphones and you picking out what sounds best for your ears and music you listen to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back