Buying my first amp/dac - could use some advice
Dec 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Onikage0

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using HD 555's and I just nabbed a pair of HD 650's last night on sale. So, I guess that means it's time to invest in an amp and some kind of dac-- or combo. These headphones are going to stay put, so portability is not necessary. Currently my 555's are just connected to my desktop computer's audio port.

My wallet is hurting after this purchase, so my budget for the amp/dac is only about $250. That's not a hard budget, but I really can't stretch it too much beyond that. Is that way too low to get the job done properly?

Would my best bet be an amp/usb dac combo? I want something powerful enough to give the 650's all the juice they need. Added bonus if they have multiple inputs so I can connect PS3 and/or TV to the amp along with my desktop computer. How do you really measure dac's?

Something like the Matrix M-Stage USB maybe? Just one I stumbled across.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: I will definitely be doing gaming/videos with the headphones as well. Would it just be best to get something like the Xonar Essence STX?

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 3
i'm not too well versed on the HD650's needs or the Magni/ Modi's capabilities but that amp/ dac combo seems to be highly regarded in the sub $300 range. there's also the O2 and ODAC from JSD labs for around $260 i think it is. someone more knowledgeable will chime in i'm sure though, but those are two to consider in your range.

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
i'm not too well versed on the HD650's needs or the Magni/ Modi's capabilities but that amp/ dac combo seems to be highly regarded in the sub $300 range. there's also the O2 and ODAC from JSD labs for around $260 i think it is. someone more knowledgeable will chime in i'm sure though, but those are two to consider in your range.

Thanks for the reply!

After spending some hours reading threads asking the same question, I think I've just about settled on the TubeMagic D1 Plus. It's pretty similar to the ones you mentioned, but a lot of folks have indicated that it pairs well with the 650s. And, has several input options so I can have more than one source connected to it. The one complaint I heard was with the dac, which, has been corrected in the latest version.

I do appreciate your advice though. It's good to hear as many opinions as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back