Buying headphones: refurbished or used?
Apr 10, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 6
I always buy used or refurbished whenever possible.

Refurbs are terrific because companies test the snot out of them. Beancounters hate returns because they're bad for the bottom line. What's even worse than refurb is getting a refurb back a second time. That's a real profit killer, so the beancounters are keen to never see a refurb again. So refurbs, generally, get a more thorough QC than new products. Plus you get to buy them at a discount and you usually get a warranty, too. Refurbs are a no-brainer.

Used is also a terrific way to go. Having been here a few years, I've seen how obsessive people are about their headphones. When people sell, it's usually to fund an upgrade. So you'll get somethin that's been looked after and cared for.

Either is a good way to go.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 6
Refurbished is used/damaged and made new by the manufacturer by replacing major parts. Refurbished items may have slight cosmetic damage though. Used is well...used. You can save some pretty good money by going refurb and it will be like a new product.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I always buy used or refurbished whenever possible.

Refurbs are terrific because companies test the snot out of them.

Refurbished headphones have snot in them? Gee, I'm glad it's removed before sale.

But seriously...yes, I try to buy used or refurb too.. A lot of people have hangups about used headphones but I've never had a problem. Sometimes it's the only way to try out a lot of different models without taking too big a hit.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 6
:)

Forgot to add that refurbs are terrific for all electronics. Buy refurbished computers, TVs, Blu-Ray players, cameras, and anything else. You can often buy them through the manufacturer's website.

I've saved a lot of money and every refurb I've had has been completely reliable.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 6
Are there any advantages of buying used opposed to buying refurbished? This is what I was wondering about thus the thread, I wanted a comparison of refurb vs used. I've always considered refurbished in a higher regard, but I see that in some cases used headphones cost more than refurbished unit. Why is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back