Buying Blindly, HD650 or DT880
Aug 26, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rock, Prog rock, Metal - DT880
Jazz,classical,acoustic,soft music in general,female vocals - HD650

x2

And electronica is KNOWN to be better on the DT880.

FWIW, I'm a 90% electronica only guy (ambient, techno, IDM, drum and bass etc) and after reading hundreds of posts I actually compiled recommendations based on senior head-fier's, and the DT880 came out in first place for electronica and deftly defeated the HD650 by a landslide.

As you should know by now, the HD650 is soft, polite, dark and laid back and has more bass quantity and less treble quantity than the DT880.

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #32 of 44
Note: Don't confuse quantity with extension in the bass department. From my experience, 650 has more quantity, but dt880 extends further down so it can hit lower frequencies better.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note: Don't confuse quantity with extension in the bass department. From my experience, 650 has more quantity, but dt880 extends further down so it can hit lower frequencies better.

Well said. The HD650 definitely has more mid-bass, but even in terms of quantity, my perception is that the DT880 has more deep bass.

I'll also echo Catharsis' comments in terms of generally preferring the DT880's for drum and bass, for their crispness up top and punch way down low (although I won't purport to have taken any polls on the topic). But I think the descriptors "soft and polite" are not entirely accurate with respect to the 650's. The 650's simply are not bright in the top end, but they are still plenty revealing. In fact, from the standpoint of tonality, I think the 650's surpass the 880's in the upper registers. Strings and brass have more treble texture and sound less digital.

If you really want the lead guitar to "scream" in your ear, you might prefer the 880's for rock. But I far prefer the lush, meaty rhythm guitar and bass reproduction on the HD650's when listening to anything under the broad umbrella of rock.

Maybe it's a source/amp synergy issue, but of those of you who are recommending the 250ohm DT880's over the HD650's for rock, what is it about the sonics, specifically, that you prefer?

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #34 of 44
just adding a little objective info to the mix:

graphCompare.php

also there is no reason to believe differing DT880 impedance really have differing frequency response - different # of turns on the voice coil with the same total conductor mass gives identical electro-acousitic response with low impedance drive

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

And electronica is KNOWN to be better on the DT880.

X3. I always found electronica to sound good through my DT880s. I must say I am very disappointed with how the HD600 handles electronica.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #36 of 44
buying blindly is the preferred way around here - for some because they use their ears instead, for others because they buy what online avatars tell them they like.

as for myself, I tried hd600 and hd650 for extended periods, and now own neither. you should really try them for yourself... maybe even buy both and sell here the one you won't keep. they both have enough followers, as you can tell.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also there is no reason to believe differing DT880 impedance really have differing frequency response - different # of turns on the voice coil with the same total conductor mass gives identical electro-acousitic response with low impedance drive

Oh really:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...thread-429371/

I've personally had the 250ohm '03 DT880 and my current 600 ohm DT880 = uh yes, there is a major difference tbh.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just adding a little objective info to the mix:

graphCompare.php

I have measured the frequency response of both the 250 and 600 ohm versions of the DT880 and can say the 600 ohm has less energy in the midrange presence region and high treble.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #40 of 44
It would be nice if Beyer published frequency response curves with production distribution limits

what impedance drive/load were you using? - there could be more interaction with drive impedance similar to the load

I have speculated that since less conductor fits in the same space with higher # of turns electro-acoustic properties could change

but why wouldn't substantially different fr lead the manufacturer to give them different model numbers rather than risk confusing their customers ?

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #41 of 44
I measured them both with near zero ohm and 100 ohm drive and saw similar differences between the 2 headphone impedances.

The 2 versions do have a similar sound, cut from the same cloth, but do have differences. Which sounds better is personal preference.

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #42 of 44
I would say I will listen to HD650 80% of my time and DT880 20% when I'm on a serious mood, both are excellent although HD650 is more relaxing thus less tiring to listen for long period

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back