Buying a Beyer DT990/600 and an O2/ODAC amp. Is this a good thing?
Apr 1, 2014 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Shammikaze

New Head-Fier
Hey! 

So, I'm new here, and I'm new to this whole high quality sound scene.  I've pretty much decided that I'll be getting the following setup today or tomorrow, unless someone changes my mind.

Headphones: Beyer DT990 600 ohm 
Amp: O2/ODAC 

Am I doing this right?  Also, anyone know where to find good .flac music?  Finally, if I'm using this headset with my PC do I care about the difference between blu-ray and DVD for movie audio?

Give me your thoughts, or convince me to buy a different (cheaper) headset.  I will not go up in price.   :wink:

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 19
Hmm,

which music are you going to listen to?

Cheers,
K

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 19
  Hmm,

which music are you going to listen to?

Cheers,
K

I listen to a lot of drum and bass, electronic, alternative, hip hop, and pretty much anything in general (just not as much).  I'm also a huge gamer and watch a ton of movies on my computer, so that's a big consideration as well.

Thanks for the quick replies :)

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 19
It will work, but the 250 ohms version might actually sound better with the O2.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 19
It will work, but the 250 ohms version might actually sound better with the O2.

I don't know much about ohms or what they mean to me...  What makes you say that?  I was under the impression (due to outside influences) that more ohms was better?

Also, on that note, do I want a 200mA plug or a 1000mA plug for this amp?  What's the difference and why does it matter?

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 19
I don't know much about ohms or what they mean to me...  What makes you say that?  I was under the impression (due to outside influences) that more ohms was better?

Also, on that note, do I want a 200mA plug or a 1000mA plug for this amp?  What's the difference and why does it matter?

In general, you have the right impression. But 600 ohms is a lot of resistance. Technically, the O2 can do it but I trust the people who argue that it isn't ideal. As the differences between the 600 and 250 versions are minor, I was suggesting that it would be better to go with the 250 because it certainly works well. I think it will pair better, resulting in better sound overall. As to the plug, get the weaker one for 250 and the stronger for 600.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 19
In general, you have the right impression. But 600 ohms is a lot of resistance. Technically, the O2 can do it but I trust the people who argue that it isn't ideal. As the differences between the 600 and 250 versions are minor, I was suggesting that it would be better to go with the 250 because it certainly works well. I think it will pair better, resulting in better sound overall. As to the plug, get the weaker one for 250 and the stronger for 600.

Ah, see, this is what concerned me.  I haven't been able to find anyone saying it wasn't ideal.  So, 250 sounds like a safer bet...  How much bass am I going to lose?  Alternately, is there a better amp if I wanted to stick with the 600 ohms?

::EDIT:: Also, I've seen the Beyer 770 referred to as "the king of gaming headphones".  Why?  This interests me.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 19

I listen to a lot of drum and bass, electronic, alternative, hip hop, and pretty much anything in general (just not as much).  I'm also a huge gamer and watch a ton of movies on my computer, so that's a big consideration as well.

Thanks for the quick replies :)

Ok that should work fine with this headphone. More Ohm is not necessary better. You won't loose any bass at all. I would recommend the 250 Ohm version too, easier to drive and just as good.

Cheers,
K

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 19
Ah, see, this is what concerned me.  I haven't been able to find anyone saying it wasn't ideal.  So, 250 sounds like a safer bet...  How much bass am I going to lose?  Alternately, is there a better amp if I wanted to stick with the 600 ohms?

There was an objective/subjective argument about this on the O2 thread. Objectively, it can and does drive 600 ohms. Subjectively, it probably doesn't sound as good as something like a Violectric.

I don't think you'll lose bass; you'll lose a little refinement in the treble. Actually, you'll probably have more bass as the O2 can get it out of the 250 much more easily.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 19
There was an objective/subjective argument about this on the O2 thread. Objectively, it can and does drive 600 ohms. Subjectively, it probably doesn't sound as good as something like a Violectric.

I don't think you'll lose bass; you'll lose a little refinement in the treble. Actually, you'll probably have more bass as the O2 can get it out of the 250 much more easily.

So, I'll probably go with a 250 ohm version instead then.  I don't even know as though my ears would perceive the difference, having never owned nice headphones before.

Since I edited the first post I'll ask you again - any idea why the DT770 are considered to be really good for gaming?

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 19
So, I'll probably go with a 250 ohm version instead then.  I don't even know as though my ears would perceive the difference, having never owned nice headphones before.

Since I edited the first post I'll ask you again - any idea why the DT770 are considered to be really good for gaming?

I don't play, but I should think the reason is the depth of DT770's soundstage. But unless you need isolation, open beats closed.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 19
But unless you need isolation, open beats closed.

That's what I was looking for.  I don't need isolation.  In fact, I often like to be aware of what's going on around me.

Exactly how wary are we of trying to power the DT990/600 headphones with the O2/ODAC amp I linked?  Like is it, "you can power them, with some room to spare," or, " you can power them, but barely," or, "you can't reliably power them." ?  In another thread on this site I saw lots of people saying they're able to power them just fine, even up to and beyond 50% on the amp.  Would the type of power adapter I purchase affect this?

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 19

That's what I was looking for.  I don't need isolation.  In fact, I often like to be aware of what's going on around me.

Exactly how wary are we of trying to power the DT990/600 headphones with the O2/ODAC amp I linked?  Like is it, "you can power them, with some room to spare," or, " you can power them, but barely," or, "you can't reliably power them." ?  In another thread on this site I saw lots of people saying they're able to power them just fine, even up to and beyond 50% on the amp.  Would the type of power adapter I purchase affect this?

It can power the 600 adequately, but the pacing and some fine details probably won't be ideal. The stronger plug doesn't output more power unless you need it. Most others have been using the normal one to drive the 600 ohm models and I'm guessing one gets slightly better results with the stronger plug. But I still trust the subjectivists on this one. The O2 is a good amp--I currently own two and plan to sell one--but I don't have a hard time believing that a Violectric or DAC1 is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back