Buying a Beyer DT990/600 and an O2/ODAC amp. Is this a good thing?
Apr 1, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #16 of 19

It can power the 600 adequately, but the pacing and some fine details probably won't be ideal. The stronger plug doesn't output more power unless you need it. Most others have been using the normal one to drive the 600 ohm models and I'm guessing one gets slightly better results with the stronger plug. But I still trust the subjectivists on this one. The O2 is a good amp--I currently own two and plan to sell one--but I don't have a hard time believing that a Violectric or DAC1 is better.

Do you have a suggestion as to a specific Violectric or DAC1 that would be good for a newbie like myself?  Or is that getting into the range of unwanted price increases?

Realistically I may just take a 250 ohm and be happy with that.

Also, I really appreciate the time you've spent on me today.  Thanks for that.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #17 of 19

Do you have a suggestion as to a specific Violectric or DAC1 that would be good for a newbie like myself?  Or is that getting into the range of unwanted price increases?

Realistically I may just take a 250 ohm and be happy with that.

Also, I really appreciate the time you've spent on me today.  Thanks for that.

The two that I tried were the V200 and the DAC1 Pre, but not really long enough to get a fair impression of either. (The former sounded warmer; the latter, clearer.)

The question is whether you want to spend $700+ for a used one. I would be hesitant to because both firms are currently upgrading or have just upgraded their products, especially Violectric. So I think of the O2 as a good stopgap for figuring out your next step--if you decide it's even necessary. But if you later buy an especially power-hungry model, you'll probably want a better amp to go with it. The chances of that happening are getting a little smaller every year as firms are developing more efficient models because of DAPs. Besides all that, you're most welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back