Business Suit and Tie
May 4, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #16 of 104
I was always told that a wool, navy blue suit was the way to start a business wardrobe. Gray would be the next choice. Something with a subtle pinstripe to it so it's not too flashy but at the same time, not too plain. Also, unless you're being interviewed by a company that you are positive is into cutting edge fashion ( like a fashion manufacturer/magazine or something), it's safer to make a conservative first impression with either white or a solid light colour shirt .... which will also allow you the widest choice of ties. Good quality, or at least polished shoes, are also important. Once you get the job, you can probably loosen up a little ... or better yet ... dress like your boss. Kissing butt really can help you climb that ladder faster.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's true that a bowtie, safari suit, or cowboy hat, tie, and boots look, will make a lasting impression ... but not necessarily always a positive one.

May 4, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #17 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the American power look. The British power look is different.

This is ultra-conservative. But it is absolutely American classic, and you can't go wrong. Later you can mix in fancier and bolder stuff, but not on a one-suit budget.

What does the British power look look like? In Hong Kong I'm interviewing for a British law firm one moment and then an American firm the next... it's a headache.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
24, 5' 4", dark skin, 165lbs with slight muscular build, and I'm an international business major but it doesn't really matter, MA.

In this field you can't go wrong with something conservative for the interview. Don't do anything crazy, look for the personal hygiene etc... I mean, with clothes it's more a matter of not messing up than impressing people... You and your resume should do that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was always told that a wool, navy blue suit was the way to start a business wardrobe. Gray would be the next choice. Something with a subtle pinstripe to it so it's not too flashy but at the same time, not too plain. Also, unless you're being interviewed by a company that you are positive is into cutting edge fashion ( like a fashion manufacturer/magazine or something), it's safer to make a conservative first impression with either white or a solid light colour shirt .... which will also allow you the widest choice of ties. Good quality, or at least polished shoes, are also important. Once you get the job, you can probably loosen up a little ... or better yet ... dress like your boss. Kissing butt really can help you climb that ladder faster.
smily_headphones1.gif

+ 1. Always have the blue suit. Polish the shoes. Cut the fingernails. If anything, look out for skincare. Don't make up, but make sure to wash your face and shave. Styles may come and go, vary from place to place, but neatness is always needed.

May 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #18 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does the British power look look like? In Hong Kong I'm interviewing for a British law firm one moment and then an American firm the next... it's a headache....

make sure to wash your face and shave. Styles may come and go, vary from place to place, but neatness is always needed.

Yep I should have mentioned the haircut and shave. Several later posters did, and that's right on.

In London you will find bolder shirts, usually a broad stripe, with a solid color (but very nice silk, and often a bold color) tie, and a larger knot. And European-cut suits vs American-cut ones:

Suit Silhouettes: American and European | Men's Wearhouse

OP -- you're young and can carry a sharper look than ultra-conservative American, but if you are only buying one I still say (as others have): dark blue/navy. Next a dark gray, finally a blue pin-stripe, with very subtle stripes.

May 4, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #19 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by wlvca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, many young people dress inappropriately for a job interview. I've interviewed and hired many people over the years. If you are interviewing for a job that requires a suit and tie, here are a few tips.

Black is rarely the right choice of color for a suit - dark grey, yes or navy blue, yes. Always buy wool suits, not man-made fabrics. Black suits in man-made fibers get shiny and look cheap very quickly.

Never wear an all black tie for business unless you are interviewing to be a limo driver or a waiter or you are wearing a tuxedo.

Black shoes and black belt - and make sure you polish those shoes. Black dress socks, too, and not the ankle high ones where skin shows if you cross your legs.

Tie should contrast but coordinate with the suit - red and maroon are safe. Striped or neat prints are your best choices.

Dress to appeal to the person doing the hiring, not to appeal to your contemporaries.

A white shirt is always appropriate, never a black shirt. Expand from there as you get to know the environment - striped shirts and checked shirts are OK if you know how to choose the right tie to go with them.

If you are interviewing for a job that requires a suit and tie its most likely a conservative work environment - dress appropriately.

Get the job first, make fashion statements later

Remember, always dress for the job you aspire to.

If at all possible, visit the work environment before you interview and buy your clothes so you can see how people there dress for work - then you'll know for sure.

You can find a decent suit for $250 to $300. A white shirt (all cotton, pressed) can be had for $30 to $40. You can find a decent tie for $30 to $40 - silk is the only fabric choice for a tie. You can get what you need for $500 or less if you shop carefully.

Excellent advice!

May 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #20 of 104
I agree with all this. Go with Navy Blue or Gray. Haircut, shave and shine shoes. Another important factor that I have always found helpful is to always look the people in the eyes when answering questions and greet them properly when you go into the interview. I have never failed at an interview and I have had plenty. Be yourself and don't be afraid of smiling. It is not a execution. I have interviewed alot of people in my day and the above was something I always looked for.

May 4, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #21 of 104
I think the gents before me have nailed it with the attire, but I can't stress this enough. Make sure you have a neat haircut and you're clean shaven. Clean your fingernails and have them trim. Don't wear any cologne. What smells awesome to you could be awful to someone else. I once remember a young lady that wore perfume that made the HR person she came in to see sneeze for like 20 minutes. Hard to conduct an interview when the person you came to see if having an allergy attack because of your scent. No gaudy jewelry or rings outside of a wedding band and a conservative watch. Leave the bling at home. Have earrings? Leave them at home. This should be all standard stuff, but I'm never short of amazed by the people who don't follow these simple rules.

May 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #22 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you get the job, you can probably loosen up a little ... or better yet ... dress like your boss. Kissing butt really can help you climb that ladder faster.
smily_headphones1.gif

A woman who may or may not have been my boss a few years ago not only liked it when employees dressed like her, she liked them to be dressed like her that day. So when she was dressed up, you were doomed if you were dressed down, and when she dressed down, it was awesome to her if you were dressed down, too. Ahh, narcissism.

I agree: navy, grey, safari. From the guy who doesn't own a suit at present.

May 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #23 of 104
Thanks guy, I've been looking some of the suits at Macy's online. I shave my face and my hair looks like this:

david_beckham1_300_400.jpg

May 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #24 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by wlvca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, many young people dress inappropriately for a job interview. I've interviewed and hired many people over the years. If you are interviewing for a job that requires a suit and tie, here are a few tips.

Black is rarely the right choice of color for a suit - dark grey, yes or navy blue, yes. Always buy wool suits, not man-made fabrics. Black suits in man-made fibers get shiny and look cheap very quickly.

Never wear an all black tie for business unless you are interviewing to be a limo driver or a waiter or you are wearing a tuxedo.

Black shoes and black belt - and make sure you polish those shoes. Black dress socks, too, and not the ankle high ones where skin shows if you cross your legs.

Tie should contrast but coordinate with the suit - red and maroon are safe. Striped or neat prints are your best choices.

Dress to appeal to the person doing the hiring, not to appeal to your contemporaries.

A white shirt is always appropriate, never a black shirt. Expand from there as you get to know the environment - striped shirts and checked shirts are OK if you know how to choose the right tie to go with them.

If you are interviewing for a job that requires a suit and tie its most likely a conservative work environment - dress appropriately.

Get the job first, make fashion statements later

Remember, always dress for the job you aspire to.

If at all possible, visit the work environment before you interview and buy your clothes so you can see how people there dress for work - then you'll know for sure.

You can find a decent suit for $250 to $300. A white shirt (all cotton, pressed) can be had for $30 to $40. You can find a decent tie for $30 to $40 - silk is the only fabric choice for a tie. You can get what you need for $500 or less if you shop carefully.

What he said

Except I would wear a yellow tie more bold and seperates you from the masses. Try to set up an interview for a Friday afternoon. Everyone is in a good mood and trying to rap things up. Goodluck

May 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #25 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guy, I've been looking some of the suits at Macy's online. I shave my face and my hair looks like this:

david_beckham1_300_400.jpg

YOU'RE DAVID BECKHAM!?

But seriously, a nice shaved head looks clean and focused... Unless you're a big angry tattooed white guy walking down the street in a wife-beater, then most people will assume you're a Neo Nazi.

Remember, suits and clothes matter, but your personality and demeanor throughout the interview matter much more.

May 4, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #27 of 104
Quote:

But seriously, a nice shaved head looks clean and focused... Unless you're a big angry tattooed white guy walking down the street in a wife-beater, then most people will assume you're a Neo Nazi.

I'm a short angry-looking Asian guy who walks down the street in wife-beater, most people assume I'm a bank CEO.

Well, I bought a wool, navy blue suit. I believe it's this one: Jones New York Suit, Navy Wool - Navy Suits Suits & Suit Separates - Men's - Macy's

It's pinstriped, but the lines are even and very narrow. Not sure if it's too flashy, but it was really the only one that fit me proper. Thanks a bunch for the information, now I just need shoes, ties, dress shirt, etc.

May 4, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #28 of 104
Personally, I'd recommend against the red tie....go for something more conservative and more subtle. Also, I wouldn't get button-down shirts either.

But then what do I know? I still wear my pastel-colored sports jacket with rolled-up sleeves. Of course, with no socks.

May 4, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #29 of 104
Where on earth are these black suit recs coming from? He's not going to a funeral.

For a business interview (esp. finance or law), you should wear a navy (preferably) or charcoal grey suit with a white shirt (straight point collar). Burgundy tie with a subtle pattern or some other muted, serious color should suffice. Shoes should be black lace-ups and polished. You can buy a nice pair of Alden #8 cordovans after you land the job. Belt should be black, too, of course. Socks should match suit, though I think with a navy suit, you can get away with black socks (if wearing black shoes).

Remember, you are seeking to distinguish yourself based on personality/experience/whatever--not on your dress.

Some solid info here: Job Interviewing

May 4, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #30 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where on earth are these black suit recs coming from? He's not going to a funeral.

For a business interview (esp. finance or law), you should wear a navy (preferably) or charcoal grey suit with a white shirt (straight point collar). Burgundy tie with a subtle pattern or some other muted, serious color should suffice. Shoes should be black lace-ups and polished. You can buy a nice pair of Alden #8 cordovans after you land the job. Belt should be black, too, of course. Socks should match suit, though I think with a navy suit, you can get away with black socks (if wearing black shoes).

Remember, you are seeking to distinguish yourself based on personality/experience/whatever--not on your dress.

Some solid info here: Job Interviewing

Alden Cordovans are all I wear. Very easy to shine up with just a wisk of a horse haired brush. Do not forget the shoe trees. Get more than one pair and alternate. Pricey but worth it in the end. Great shoes are more easily regonized than a great suit IMHO. The Shoe Mart is running a sale on irregulars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back