Business Suit and Tie
May 4, 2010 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeah, I'll apply and hopefully interviewing for work (business field) in the near future. Any recommendations for a suit and tie? Color? Type? Brand? (Budget, trying to keep it under $500 for the set)

May 4, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 104
The way I've always done is black suit, white collar shirt and red tie. I don't think brand really matters. I like the 3 button suits so that's what I stick to.

May 4, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 104
Probably not a great person to listen to considering I'm just a graduating senior, but I think a grey suit with checked shirt looks good. Black shoes, black belt. A tie with diagonal pattern. Just make sure the tie-color coordinates with the color in the shirt.

May 4, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 104
Brands are irrelevant. Do what Atol said and get a decent suit, and just have it altered. As for a shirt and tie, if you're going with a black blazer/pants, nearly anything will work, so long as it's matched. Just use your judgment, it's not too hard.

May 4, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way I've always done is black suit, white collar shirt and red tie. I don't think brand really matters. I like the 3 button suits so that's what I stick to.

This.
I've always gone with this when I've had to wear a suit, granted I'm probably even less help than most since I'm 15 and have only needed to wear it about 15 times in my life.

Good luck on your endeavor! Hope you stay though.

May 4, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 104
Just never mix navy blue and black or button the last button on the jacket, they're fashion crimes of the third degree.

Also, suits are very cheap at thrift stores.

May 4, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 104
I'd stay away from canary yellow for a suit colour. I worked with a bloke in the seventies who bought one. He wore it one day and never wore it again, but we never let him forget about it.

What about a nice safari suit? That would differentiate you from the other interviewees and show that you are a man of action and can think outside the square, instead of being a mindless drone.

May 4, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 104
The suit that Billy Preston is wearing in this movie:

YouTube - Billy Preston

But seriously, you could go many different ways with this. Black coat, matching slacks, white shirt and black tie is your classic business suit, but depending on the hiring person or just what kind of job in particular you're applying for, it may or may not be appropriate.

Some interviewers like hiring people who express that they're different, some like the classic representation and others just don't give a damn what you're wearing.

I'd recommend something like a plain black jacket (single breasted), matching slacks, a white or black shirt (whichever you feel suits you best) and a tie that has a little life but keeps things formal still. I have a tie with a black and white paisley design and I find it's a nice balance of business class and showing that you're not some lame run-of-the-mill kind of guy.

May 4, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 104
I need to know your age, physique, and the specific type of business to give proper advice. Plus your location.

But I'll give some general thoughts. I differ with some of the previous posts. First of all, start with shoes. This is as important as the suit itself. You will look best in dress black tie shoes, not loafers, with leather (not rubber) soles. These are called Oxfords usually, wing tip or cap toe are OK but so is plain. They should be as simple as possible, new and well-polished. (In theory you should have thin, waxed laces, but whatever laces come with the shoes will be OK). Plain black loafers can work too.

Socks should be thin, high, and black-on-black pattern (or all black). If you are thin yourself, then you can have a subtle color pattern in the sock, but if you are heavy, no.

Most men look better in a dark navy suit than a black one, and dark navy is more acceptable in some business settings. Belt should be smooth black leather, with a silver or gold buckle depending on which looks better with your skin tone. Silver if you don't know.

Thus the shoes, socks, and belt are black, even though the suit is blue. In general I agree you don't mix blue and black, but this is the exception.

You will again look better in a pale blue shirt, rather than white. It should be solid for sure, and button-down is more acceptable in many businesses than spread color. If you are thin, a spread color can work, but not if your face is fat. Be sure the sleeve length is long enough so that a little shirt cuff shows when you have the suit jacket on.

The tie should be silk, slighty shiny (not too much), basically dark red with some subtle pattern, like blue and white. It should have a slight "pop". Learn to tie a half-windsor (unless you chose a wide spread collar, then go for a full windsor). Not too small and not too big on the knot.

This is the American power look. The British power look is different.

If you are young and not heavy, then a blue pin-stripe suit can work. Or a pin-stripe shirt (but not both). If the pin stripe is subtle enough, the tie can remain patterned with color. Otherwise a very high quality dark red solid, or better tone-on-tone dark red pattern must be paired with the pin-stripe.

This is ultra-conservative. But it is absolutely American classic, and you can't go wrong. Later you can mix in fancier and bolder stuff, but not on a one-suit budget.

Target has amazing quality for very low prices. You can put this entire outfit together there.

May 4, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 104
24, 5' 4", dark skin, 165lbs with slight muscular build, and I'm an international business major but it doesn't really matter, MA.

May 4, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 104
First, many young people dress inappropriately for a job interview. I've interviewed and hired many people over the years. If you are interviewing for a job that requires a suit and tie, here are a few tips.

Black is rarely the right choice of color for a suit - dark grey, yes or navy blue, yes. Always buy wool suits, not man-made fabrics. Black suits in man-made fibers get shiny and look cheap very quickly.

Never wear an all black tie for business unless you are interviewing to be a limo driver or a waiter or you are wearing a tuxedo.

Black shoes and black belt - and make sure you polish those shoes. Black dress socks, too, and not the ankle high ones where skin shows if you cross your legs.

Tie should contrast but coordinate with the suit - red and maroon are safe. Striped or neat prints are your best choices.

Dress to appeal to the person doing the hiring, not to appeal to your contemporaries.

A white shirt is always appropriate, never a black shirt. Expand from there as you get to know the environment - striped shirts and checked shirts are OK if you know how to choose the right tie to go with them.

If you are interviewing for a job that requires a suit and tie its most likely a conservative work environment - dress appropriately.

Get the job first, make fashion statements later

Remember, always dress for the job you aspire to.

If at all possible, visit the work environment before you interview and buy your clothes so you can see how people there dress for work - then you'll know for sure.

You can find a decent suit for $250 to $300. A white shirt (all cotton, pressed) can be had for $30 to $40. You can find a decent tie for $30 to $40 - silk is the only fabric choice for a tie. You can get what you need for $500 or less if you shop carefully.

May 4, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 104
The brand of suit shouldn't matter in the least as long is it looks good (i.e. no loose threads, rips, or significant wear). My personal preferences when it comes to interviews is very dark gray suit jacket and pant (or with very light pin-striping), a white/off-white shirt and a solid tie. As long as the tie and the shirt match, pick colors that suit you, but be careful to avoid very loud colors like orange, etc. Beyond that, a good belt, with an understated buckle and clean shoes complete the ensemble well.

May 4, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 104
The best suit for an interview is one that you feel comfortable in.

You have to try on many suits, shirts, and tie combos to you find what matches you.

A great suit on me may not be the right one for you because the color may not match your skin color and how your face looks.

For example, a bowtie will look silly on me, but looks great on Orval Reddenboker.

It's best to go with someone who works in the field or has good fashion sense. Try reading GQ or some fashion magazine for tips on how to dress.

An interviewer will know if you are not comfortable in your suit. Try to find one you like.

As a general rule of thumb, unless you are the godfather, stay away from double breasted and pinstrips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back