burson vs m3 diy amp?
Feb 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

clocker

New Head-Fier
Anyone have any recommendations for which would be better for driving k702s? The Burson's build quality will of course be better and also more expensive, but how would the M3 amp sound compared to it? Would it be enough to drive the k702s? I can have someone in my family build me an M3 if I order all the parts, and have enough leftover for a gamma2 as well. 

If price was no option, and between these two, what would be the "better" buy or "best bang for the buck"?

Sorry, I would have searched, but "M3" returns a lot of results that may not have answered my questions. Thanks for your time.

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 16
The difference is:

M3 could drive the 702's, but not at its full potential. 
While the HA-160, drives them properly...since its a powerful amp. 

I can vouch for the last one, as many users here have/have tried AKG hp's with the 160. They're happy with it. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Type Mini3 (or m3) at google, and let me know whats the first result. 

They are the same one. 
tongue.gif

Considering that is only $100 or less, its good for the money. But only for that...

The mini³ and M³ are definitely 2 separate amps.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Type Mini3 (or m3) at google, and let me know whats the first result. 

They are the same one. 
tongue.gif

To be honest, i haven't seen threads or reviews with the M3 driving Akg Hp's. 

Not sure what you are googling, but when I type in 'mini3' I get the appropriate link at amb's site. When I type 'm3', I get a bmw results but if you do 'm3 amp' the appropriate (and different from mini3) link to amb's site comes up.

I am not really sure how much it costs to build a m3, probably depends largely on what kind of casework is done, but it will almost certainly be cheaper than the burson since I often see them in the for sale section for ~500. Based on the published specs, the m3 has generally better specs, with fantastic thd, crosstalk, and a very flat freq. response. The burson has a bit more power, but this is probably only an issue if you are trying to drive something very difficult like akg1000 or he-6. The burson also uses a 24 stepped attenuator, which seems somewhat coarse to me.

All that being said, I have not heard either of these amps so hopefully someone who has heard both can chime in with some impressions. I know if I were to pick one it would be the m3, not in small part because I really enjoy diy projects.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Not sure what you are googling, but when I type in 'mini3' I get the appropriate link at amb's site. When I type 'm3', I get a bmw results but if you do 'm3 amp' the appropriate (and different from mini3) link to amb's site comes up.

I know and thats why i edited my post. 

Still, i keep my words. A comparison would be nice. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 16
The M³ is a powerful amp. It can even be made to output 6W rms into 8Ω speakers. I have never owned any AKGs so I can't comment directly on that. But I'm driving my HD650s and HE5-LEs with an M³ to excellent results.¹ 

¹ To put this in context, I have also heard the HE5-LEs powered from the speaker terminals of a Denon receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back