Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Aug 3, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #421 of 554
First of all big thanks to Bhav from Burson Audio for pair of V6 Vivid Dual samples. I have had at home also pair V5i-D for comparing. I like sound of Bursons. Please forgive my english, it’s not my native language :relaxed:

PC -> DAC Topping D10 -> Xindak A06 -> SHAN Loundspeakers (Speakers modified)

B-P1240943.jpg
B-P1240944.jpg
IMG-20200508-144732.jpg
P1240950.jpg
P1240946.jpg
P1240952.jpg

DAC has originally opamp LM4562 and Xindak has opamp AD712. I replaced both for V6 Vivid.

For my review I have chosed the music different genres of Jazz & Rock: Zaz, CC Coletti, Amanda Brecker, Diana Krall, Jheena Lodwick, Eva Cassidy, Dire Straits, REM, Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Metallica.

Big improvement over AD712. The first thing I noticed was the big sound stage. The bass is very deep, speed and contured. It looks cultivated. The mids and highs are very pleasant, detailed and and intelligible especially vocals. All instruments are clearly located. The highs are plenty and they are refined, do not tire. There is a lot of space between instruments. I imagine each instrument in sound stage. For example the album from CC Coletti in Binaural+ is amazing and very impressive.

PC -> DAC Topping D10 -> Pro-Ject Head Box SE -> Audio-Technika ATH-M40x

P1250310-75.jpg
P1250312-75.jpg

P1250319.jpg

Pro-Ject has two opamps JRC4580, each for alone output. It's very simple to compare sound quality different opamps. I have installed the sockets and changed film and electrolytic capacitors for superior.

The sound is warm and detailed. The bass is deep and very good controled. The mids and highs are just right. I can listen to music for long hours without fatigue. All instruments are clearly located in space. The sound is clear without color. The music plays exactly the artist intended.

I compare also V6 Vivid with next opamps like OPA2134, OPA1692, OPA627x2, MUSES8920 (biased into Class A) and V5i-D. V6 Vivid wins in all comparisons. The nearest opamp is V5i-D but V6 Vivid is certainly better in each device. I can definitely recommnend V6 Vivid like replacement if you have space in device. I did not notice any problems (overheating, oscillation etc.). I would like to test also V6 classic for jazz and instrumental music.

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #422 of 554
burning smells from V6 VIVIDS while using it on my hybrid tube amp Little Dot I+ I took it out immediately when I smelled burn but after reinstalling I tested and it was still working, now Im wondering what caused the burning smell and why V6 OP amp still working??

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #424 of 554
Check power rails voltage, if higher than +/-16V I don't recommend V6 opamp. However, I've seen several guys using V5 in the past with good results.
Are you 110% the opamp was correctly fit into the DIP8 socket? Maybe it was a bit loose and one pin didn't made the perfect contact in there...just saying.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #425 of 554
Check power rails voltage, if higher than +/-16V I don't recommend V6 opamp. However, I've seen several guys using V5 in the past with good results.
Are you 110% the opamp was correctly fit into the DIP8 socket? Maybe it was a bit loose and one pin didn't made the perfect contact in there...just saying.

Yes I'm 110% sure the op amp was correctly fitted, I have read lot of reviews on head-fi about LITTLE DOT I+ with V6 Vivids/Classic and no one had any powering problems.

In my case maybe you were right one or two legs were loose when I smelled the burn, I've been using it for a months now never had problems and this was the first time I experienced plastic burning. but good thing is it's gone now and the v6 still working 👍🏼

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #426 of 554
The V6 added vent holes which made all the difference in passive cooling.

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #428 of 554
Interesting that on Burson's own website, the Playmate and the Swing are offered now either with the stock op-amps or upgraded with the Vivids only. The Classics have disappeared from the upgrade option, although they are still available separately.
Probably because Vivids are the most neutral between the two

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #429 of 554
Part Two of my Burson Review: Link to Part One

Thanks to Burson, a set of V6 Vivids have arrived to compare the V6 Classics I've been listening to now for a couple of months.

IMG_7045.jpeg

First off, they do sound remarkably different than the V6 Classics, it's not subtle.

Right off the bat, the bass is more impactful and they treble is more extended. So many comparisons come to mind, HD6xx vs HE4xx, Sonus Faber vs Klipsch, and on and on.

Bass: I'm not going to saw there is more bass but it seems to hit a little harder, but not quite as low/deep as the Classics with more mid-bass presence and kick.

Midrange: It actually seems pretty darn neutral compared to the Classics. It's not shouty or pronounced but just not as inviting and rich. Really no complaints, it's Goldilocks.

Treble: I was expecting these to sound bright in my setup but they really don't, they sounded extended comparted to the Classics but not aggressive or harsh at all. Similar to the Midrange, probably closer to the neutral line. I think the Classics might sound a bit rolled off in comparison.

Soundstage: Even using closed headphones, I felt the Vivids offer a wider and deeper soundstage presentation. I felt the Classics offer a more intimate performance. For anyone who's owned the HD58x and the He4xx, this is about the same difference I find with the comparison.

In the end, I have my own personal favorite but I have to say they both offer a substantial improvement over the stock opamps in my DAC.

For certain genres especially Rock and specifically the Grateful Dead, I preferred the Vivids. But as my overall preference, I really enjoy the presentation of the Classics.

Looking at my listening notes, they really align with what Burson has in the comparison chart on their website.

Stay tuned for part three, when I mix and match the Classics and Vivids for what could be the best configuration.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #430 of 554
Bass: I'm not going to saw there is more bass but it seems to hit a little harder, but not quite as low/deep as the Classics with more mid-bass presence and kick.

I find the Vivids have more lower/sub bass, while the Classics are a little bit, hmm.. boomier maybe not the right word, slightly loose and focused on the mid/upper bass range, probably that's (partially) why Vivids have cleaner and the Classics more fatter mids.

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #431 of 554
Part Two of my Burson Review: Link to Part One

Thanks to Burson, a set of V6 Vivids have arrived to compare the V6 Classics I've been listening to now for a couple of months.

IMG_7045.jpeg

First off, they do sound remarkably different than the V6 Classics, it's not subtle.

Right off the bat, the bass is more impactful and they treble is more extended. So many comparisons come to mind, HD6xx vs HE4xx, Sonus Faber vs Klipsch, and on and on.

Midrange: It actually seems pretty darn neutral compared to the Classics. It's not shouty or pronounced but just not as inviting and rich. Really no complaints, it's Goldilocks.

Treble: I was expecting these to sound bright in my setup but they really don't, they sounded extended comparted to the Classics but not aggressive or harsh at all. Similar to the Midrange, probably closer to the neutral line. I think the Classics might sound a bit rolled off in comparison.

Soundstage: Even using closed headphones, I felt the Vivids offer a wider and deeper soundstage presentation. I felt the Classics offer a more intimate performance. For anyone who's owned the HD58x and the He4xx, this is about the same difference I find with the comparison.

In the end, I have my own personal favorite but I have to say they both offer a substantial improvement over the stock opamps in my DAC.

For certain genres especially Rock and specifically the Grateful Dead, I preferred the Vivids. But as my overall preference, I really enjoy the presentation of the Classics.

Looking at my listening notes, they really align with what Burson has in the comparison chart on their website.

Stay tuned for part three, when I mix and match the Classics and Vivids for what could be the best configuration.

Last update, I put the stock opamps back in today. The difference is pretty remarkable. It's not that the stock opamps sound bad, they actually sound really nice, nice and smooth, nice and rolled off, nice and round. Veil is so overused in audio but the difference is like putting stuffing cotton in your ears. That being said, I could see some people preferring the stock sound signature if they had really V shaped headphones. It's really pleasant, but really gives up body and resolution compared to discrete opamps.

In the end, I think I will settle on the Classics for my favorite but it's a pretty tough call.

Oct 11, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #432 of 554
Well, my trusty old audio-gd preamp from 2010 has finally gave out - I love the sound a preamp gives my headphones so I had to get another!
This time it's the Gustard P26, which has one opamp per channel. I already had one each of the Vivid and Classic opamps, now I need to pick up the same again to upgrade my new preamp! Time to relive the burn-in process again...

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #433 of 554
For head-fiers needing opamps or a Playmate combo, here's the AD I got this morning in my mailbox:

Burson Click Frenzy - Playmate and Opamps sale - 3 days only
For the next 72 hours only we are taking 25% off the price of our Burson Playmates and 20% off our entire range of world-renowned audio opamps.
The Burson Playmate is our best selling product.
  • ESS9038 DAC, Xmos USB receiver, capable of processing DSD512, 32/796khz.
  • Over 2Watts pc in Class-A,
  • The option to go remote control and roll opamps.
With 25% off, who doesn't want one? Use Coupon Code: CFPLAYMATE
The Burson opamps are core to our R&D. With their incredible sound, ease of use, reverse voltage protection and a life-time warranty, they are the go-to choice for any DIYers. With 20% off, now is the time to upgrade your audio system. Use Coupon Code: CFOPAMP

Burson Online Store: https://www.bursonaudio.com/shop/
Terms and Conditions:
* Coupon Code: CFPLAYMATE & CFOPAMP (Effective between 11th - 14th November)
* Discount applies to purchases from Burson Audio web-store only.
* Order during click frenzy will ship 3 to 5 working days after the end of the campaign.
* Standard 30 days satisfaction refund guarantee applies.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #434 of 554
I would like to very thank to Bhav from Burson Audio for pair of V6 Classic Dual (V6CD) samples. I have had at home also V6 Vivid Dual (V6VD) and V5i-D for comparing.

My testing audio devices this time are:

1) PC -> DAC Topping D50s -> Pro-Ject Head Box SE -> Audio-Technika ATH-M40x

P1250402.JPG

P1250403.JPG

2) PC -> DAC Topping D50s -> 6J9 Integrated Amplifier -> Audio-Technika ATH-M40x

P1250413.JPG

P1250417.JPG

P1250434.JPG

3) DUAL DT 450 -> Dynavox TC-2000 -> Xindak A06 -> SHAN Loundspeakers (Speakers modified)

P1250408.JPG

P1250410.JPG

DAC D50s has originally opamp LME49720NA that I replaced by V5i-D. Xindak has originall AD712 replaced by V6CD or V6VD.

I chose the music different genres of Jazz & Rock: Vanessa Fernandez, Zaz, Amanda Brecker, Diana Krall, Jheena Lodwick, Simone Kopmajer, Dire Straits, Queen, REM, Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Metallica and many others.

1) DAC D50s is much better than my old DAC D10. D50s has fast and clear sound without digital feeling. I has compared V6CD with V6VD in Pro-Ject Head Box. The differences are very small but are there. V6CD has intimate sound suitable for jazz listening. Vocals are amazing and atmosfere in soundstage is electrifying. The basses, mids and highs are very exact.

2) I have changed Pro-Ject for 6J9 Amplifier. I have had to modified my 6J9 Amplifier for V6CD. V6CD are big for this small amplifier. 6J9 uses 2 pair of opamps and 2 pair of tubes. After burning of tubes and opamps was sound excelent. V6CD+tubes are perfect combination for jazz listening especially for vocal listening. The sound is very warm, bass is very deep and impact, highs don't tire my head. The midrange are fantastic. I found best combination for headphone listening.

3) I have heard hum and foreign noise after I have changed V6CD for NE5532 in Dynavox. If I used V5i-D everythig was OK but with V6CD not. I have changed it repeatedlly but with the same result. Probably V6CD is not suitable for this phono preamplifier. I can't try V6VD because I haven't 2 pairs.

The Burson opamps are much better than most other opamps. That was confirmed to me again. V6CD and V6VD are just little different. V6CD for jazz, vocals and classic music. V6VD for rock, pop and electronic music. I can definitely recommend V6CD.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #435 of 554
While Burson Audio was previously offering all their products in several op-amps versions, especially with the V6 Classics or the V6 Vivids, now they seem to have chosen the Vivids as their default op-amps. Personally I was generally more in favor of the V6 Classics, or at least the "Everest" combo of the Classic + Vivids.
Just wondering what made the Vivids being now the "house" Burson op-amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back