Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Aug 22, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #451 of 533
First off, thanks once again to Burson Audio and Bhav for providing me with the Classic V6 opamps in exchange for providing my honest review. At this point in time, the opamps must have 200 hours of use on them, so this will definitely be a fair assessment of the sound quality that they offer. I will start out by saying that I prefer the sound of the V6 Vivid opamp, but the V6 Classic is certainly amazing sounding as well.

Bass: These opamps have excellent bass extension. The sound is lush, warm, and rich from the sub bass to mid bass regions. In comparison to the V6 Vivid opamps, the Classic certainly has more mid bass emphasis. The difference is not insanely drastic, but is certainly noticeable. The Classic is also a tad looser in its presentation of the bass. I am certainly not stating that this opamp has a loose bass response. It is just that when comparing with the V6 Vivid, that the Vivid is just quicker and tighter in the lower bass region. On the Classic, kick drums reach right down into the lowest registers. These opamps have a lush characteristic that reminds me of listening to a vinyl recording. The mid bass though is a tad too elevated for my taste, and it does bleed into the mids. This does not happen on the V6 Vivid opamps. I am certainly not taking anything away from the Classic. It is an excellent in its own right. The V6 Classic relies more on offering an even deeper bass response, along with a richer mid bass body. Bass guitars and kick drums are rendered with very high resolution and texture. Everything is a tad warmish sounding, yet still very detailed.

Midrange: Burson has decided to offer a more colored sound tuning with this opamp. Interesting enough, even though the mid bass hump on this opamp does bleed a tad into the mids, all of the midrange detail is fully present. This is extremely rare to find. Usually, a mid bass hump will cause a loss of details within the mids. This is not the case with the V6 Classic. Vocals sound stunning on this opamp. In this regard, the V6 Classic beats the V6 Vivid. Vocals on the Vivid are slightly layed back. On the Classic, vocals are perfectly presented. Voices, male and female, sound very natural, resolving, realistic, and engaging. I think that the Classic has the best vocals thus far that I have heard from any opamp. This opamp certainly offers the "singer is in the room" experience". If you close your eyes while listening, it certainly does feel like the singer is within the listening room with you. Guitars, piano, bass guitar, as well as other instruments are presented with a somewhat warmish, yet precise presenation. Instruments are layered, cohesive, and realistic. Soundstage on this opamp is impressive. It has excellent width, height, and depth. However, it is just not at the same level of the V6 Vivid. The V6 Classic is more narrow than the V6 Vivid. Despite this, the Classic still has excellent instrument positioning. Locating where everything is within the recording is a breeze. Micro and macro details are revealed everywhere, and imaging is very impressive.

Treble: The upper freqencies with the V6 Classic are very smooth. There is no harshness present in any regard. There is no way that anyone could possibly find this opanp to be sibilant. The Classic offers the ability to listen for endless hours without ever needing a break. Extension is excellent, but the Classic is not quite as analytical and dynamic in nature as it is on the V6 Vivid. Resolution, cleanliness, detail retrieval, and articulation are all excellent on the V6 Classic. Interesting though, is that the upper frequencies on this opamp are presented with just a hint of warmth as well. This once again adds to the analog feel that these opamps offer in their sound signature. The mid treble region from 6-10kHz on the Classic is clean and revealing. The upper treble though is where I think the V6 Vivid is just more dynamic and detailed, allowing for additional micro details to come through. The Classic offers such a smooth upper frequency response that it honestly does allow for the listener to turn the music up louder and louder without experiencing any fatigue. For my taste, it is just a tad to rolled off in the 14-16kHz region.

I have had an excellent experience with these opamps. They are very resolving, musical, with excellent midrange detail, and with bit of a lush/vinyl presentation. I would say though that the V6 Vivid is still my favorite opamp from Burson Audio. I just love it's dynamic and energic presentation, along with the stunning soundstage width and depth that the opamp offers.

Thanks again to Burson Audio and Bhav for the opportunity to the sample the opamps.

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #452 of 533
BURSON AUDIO - Burson V6 Vivid Op-amp

“A beginning is a very delicate time. Know then, that it is the year 2021. The known Head-fi Universe is ruled by the Padishah Emperor Jude, Head-fi’s father. In this time, the most precious subforum in Head-fi is the headphone amplifier subforum. The op-amp extends life. The op-amp expands consciousness. The op-amp is vital to audio perfection. The Burson Audio Guild and its navigators, who the op-amp has mutated over four-thousand years, use the orange or red op-amp, which gives them the ability to finesse audio. That is, reproduce music in any part of the Universe without soldering. Oh yes, I forget to tell you. The op-amp exists on only one planet in the entire Universe. A desolate, dry planet with vast deserts. Hidden away within the audio gear of these deserts are a people known as headphone enthusiasts, who have long held a prophecy, that a man would come, an audiophile, who would lead them to improved audio. The planet is Burson. Also known as Burson Audio.” - Frank Herbert, Dune

Burson Audio has gained notoriety for producing high-end audio gear, including my favorite pieces of the headphone audio chain, headphone amplifiers. Here we find implementation of the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp which has been optimized through an evolution of 6 multiple generations, hence the V6 designation. Burson uses the V6 Vivid in their own Burson amplifiers but they can also be easily used in other amplifiers that have removable op-amps. John Burson offered to send me one of his latest iterations of these op-amps for my Little Dot headphone amplifiers in exchange for honest feedback. Which makes this point perfect for the segway to me, with my ”About Hottyson” paragraph.

About Hottyson
Hottyson has been an audio gear hoarder, er… headphone enthusiast I mean, for over two decades. He has a growing suspicion of reviewers that include the disclaimer, “Opinions expressed are solely my own and not been compensated ...bla ...bla ...bla” He does NOT have a monetized YouTube channel and hasn’t a care in the world about numbers of views or subscribers. Instead, Hottyson’s enjoyment stems from his interaction with audio gear and opportunities sharing it with others. His collection of headphones stems from $7 earbuds to $1,200 headphones. His true passion lies in collecting headphone amplifiers and constructing audio cables. Hottyson finds it odd writing paragraphs in the third person about himself. He wonders if this ”About Hottyson” paragraph is long enough and if he should end it with this sentence. He almost did.

IMG_7024.jpg

Chapter 1 Grado flourish on tubes
The Head-fi $400 secret recipe from ten years ago:

• Little Dot I+ headphone amplifier ($140)
  • LT1364 opamp ($15)
  • Sylvania Gold Brand GB-408A (gold pins) tubes (±$50/pair)
  • Grado SR225 headphones ($200)

Little Dot I+ has been a $140 wonder bringing tubes to the masses at entry level prices. It’s design is over a decade old but has gone through slight revisions that mostly replaced pin jumpers for switches. In its early days, with only a few inexpensive upgrades, the Little Dot I+ was THE budget amplifier for Grado headphones that shined particularly well with rock music, characteristically described in the forums as close-in-your-face headbanging. Eventually, at some point MassDrop offered the Little Dot I+ for $103, and the Grado SR225 revised to newer generations making $150 commonplace on the closeout/used market, making it possible to put together this secret recipe at a $100 savings for a pretty decent complete budget setup coming in at only $300.

IMG_9903.jpg

I fired up the secret recipe, which is my Little Dot I+ / Sylvania Gold Brand GB-408A / LT1364 and plugged in my trusty old Grado SR225. Transported back a full decade, here was that all too familiar sound that brought sweet rock music to my ears. Once again, I was right up front row, center stage rocking out right in front of the musicians. Directly next to the secret recipe was an exact duplicate setup of the secret recipe with the same magical tubes but with one minor change. The LT1364 op-amp had been swapped out in favor of my newly acquired Burson V6 Vivid op-amp. So, here we had in front of me two setups ready to battle it out. In one corner, the reigning rock champion, our tried and true secret recipe. Versus our new challenger, a twin with only the Burson op-amp upgrade.
83D49E98-68F6-4177-865B-118927E4BFD8.jpeg

Not knowing what to expect, I placed the headphones on my ears and the battle commenced. Right off the bat, the Burson upgrade displayed more refined highs compared to the untamed highs of the LT1364. The harshness of the highs common with the LT1364 was also reduced by the Burson upgrade. As a soundstage lover, I proceeded to compare it next. The Burson upgrade presented a smoother, more wide open soundstage. The Burson also presented more realistic cohesion of instruments and also with voices. Going back to the LT1364, conversely, the instruments seemed disjointed. Comparing further, I found that the overall sound of the Burson was more pleasing. The Burson was full sounding, displaying more substance. More of a weighty and satisfying presentation.

Round one had ended. Burson had won by knockout. What did I learn from this battle? First of all, it brought my $140 amplifier performing closer to one of my $400 amplifiers. To verify this, I brought out one of my $400 solid state amplifiers. This headphone amplifier was a Schiit Jotunheim 2. Listening back and forth I tried to pick the better of the two with my Grado SR225. The Burson upgraded amp won again beating this $400 amplifier. What did it do better? The Grado SR225 can be harsh sounding. And I mean harsh like an Army boot camp drill sergeant yelling directly into your ear harshness. This is where tube magic comes to the rescue and magically turns our drill sergeant into a sparkly unicorn. Combining the Burson op-amp with tubes accomplished this magic. We took an old system and basically used the Burson op-amp to bring it into the realm of modern amplification. Value/performance-wise, we doubled the value of the amplifier. How could I test this? I thought, why not bring out one of my favorite headphone amplifiers, the Singxer SA-1 $500 and then compare it to the Burson upgrade setup, in terms of reproduction of detail. When comparing them side by side, the Burson upgrade setup had the benefit of the magical wet tube sound that I enjoy, but yes. Yes, the detail was there in spades with both setups and the Burson upgrade setup could almost keep up in terms of detail. So, I had reached my conclusion. The Burson upgrade setup might best a $400 amplifier with Grado SR225 but perhaps not a $500 amplifier.

E4066E08-A7DA-4F41-955A-83311487ABF1.jpeg
B341773C-73F1-42AB-A77E-263BFC9FA7F7.jpeg

That is great and wonderful hottyson, but now you are talking to yourself. What about a modern Grado? Okay, fine. Even though the Little Dot I+ came out more than a decade before the Grado Hemp, I shall provide some listening observations. Overall, the Grado Hemp is the most bang for buck modern production Grado headphone. The Grado Hemp will scale with high end amplifiers and thereby more easily benefit from improved amplification. So, I listened again with the Schiit Jotunheim 2 and the Singxer SA-1 versus Burson upgraded Little Dot I+. The Jotunheim 2 with Grado Hemp was an unbridled wild steed revealing hyper texture through instruments. The Singxer SA-1 with Grado Hemp was more polite and precise. The Little Dot I+ with Grado Hemp had harsh mids. The Burson upgraded Little Dot I+ tamed the harsh mids and produced a fuller sound. This means that I learned that the old setup did not mesh well with the new Grado Hemp like it did with the old Grado SR225. However, the new Burson op-amp was able to play well with the Grado Hemp.
16E67C13-6250-462D-A07A-0240A57FAD63.jpeg

Continuing with song after song, and just having lots of fun going from system to system with Grado Hemp, I was able to narrow down what the overall benefits of the Burson op-amp upgrade were in terms of tonality. Switching back and forth through these amplifiers with the Grado Hemp I heard refined highs instead of crushed highs. Mid range presented smooth vocals and intelligent cohesion in the center of the soundstage. Bass became full, warm, and enveloping. It was a more defined bass with an increase in sub bass presence. Can I provide a tier list? Yes, but this is only the tier list with the Grado Hemp as headphones react very differently when paired with different amplifiers. With Grado Hemp, this was my preference of amplification;

1. Burson upgraded Little Dot I+
  2. Schiit Jotunheim 2
  3. LT1364 upgraded Little Dot I+
  4. Singxer SA-1
D01D430D-4932-47C3-B73A-D252E7963EDA.jpeg

As you can see, I did not enjoy the Singxer SA-1 with Grado Hemp. While the Singxer SA-1 is one of my favorite solid state amplifiers, and #1 at most technical reproduction of music, I did not enjoy it’s pairing with the Grado Hemp. After the hours of Grado listening, my ears needed a break from the listening fatigue that Grado can build up after time. So I reached for my best headphones of my collection and some VERY warm tubes, the Western Electric 408A. That is where we shall visit in Chapter 2.

Will combining Burson V6 Vivid op-amp with warm tubes bring about the apocalypses or audio nirvana?
Will the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp upgrade play nice with my best headphone?
Does the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp upgrade make a Little Dot I+ sing with a high end planar?

Tune in next post! Same bat time. Same bat channel.

Coming soon!
Chapter 2 Hybrid Burson tube amp with my best headphone

Coming soon!
Chapter 3 Hybrid Burson tube amp begs for a higher-end planar

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #453 of 533
Coming soon!

Coming soon!

Attachments

• IMG_7024.jpg
    IMG_7024.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9903.jpg
    IMG_9903.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 83D49E98-68F6-4177-865B-118927E4BFD8.jpeg
    83D49E98-68F6-4177-865B-118927E4BFD8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • E4066E08-A7DA-4F41-955A-83311487ABF1.jpeg
    E4066E08-A7DA-4F41-955A-83311487ABF1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • B341773C-73F1-42AB-A77E-263BFC9FA7F7.jpeg
    B341773C-73F1-42AB-A77E-263BFC9FA7F7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 16E67C13-6250-462D-A07A-0240A57FAD63.jpeg
    16E67C13-6250-462D-A07A-0240A57FAD63.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • D01D430D-4932-47C3-B73A-D252E7963EDA.jpeg
    D01D430D-4932-47C3-B73A-D252E7963EDA.jpeg
    952.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #454 of 533
Coming soon!

Attachments

• wall 2.jpeg
    wall 2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 10801352-543E-412C-9F9E-DB32B839D4B5.jpeg
    10801352-543E-412C-9F9E-DB32B839D4B5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 87E08309-69EA-4E42-81EF-9707F6204B41.jpg
    87E08309-69EA-4E42-81EF-9707F6204B41.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 9DFE1233-FDC4-4230-A062-3392507C4A8D.jpeg
    9DFE1233-FDC4-4230-A062-3392507C4A8D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #455 of 533

Welcome back!

In Chapter 1, we established that the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp was able to bring my Little Dot I+ into the era of modern amplification in a big way by turning my $103 amplifier into $400 sound just by adding in a Burson V6 Vivid op-amp. It made sense that I had started this write up with Grado headphones because in the past the Little Dot I+ was notorious for successful pairing with Grados. However, with the unexpected success of the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp upgrade, it would be a logical progression to take my Little Dot I+ to the next level with some other headphones. With it’s new new life and breath via a Burson V6 Vivid op-amp, I am going to pair it with a modern planar headphone. What will happen? Let's find out!

I have a spending limit on my headphones and amplifiers. Nothing can be priced over $1,200. I have acquired about fifty headphones under this price. What I have found from my collection is that the best sounding headphone to me is a Monoprice M1570 planar headphone. Yes, it sounds even better than any of my more expensive popular planar headphones from Audeze, Focal, Hifiman and the like.

So I plug my Monoprice M1570 into the Little Dot I+ that still had the LT1364 op-amp. The first thing I noticed was that a tube change was needed. The tubes that were chosen for Grado did not mesh with the M1570 headphones. So I rolled some tubes and op-amps. I settled with Western Electric 408A tubes with an OPA2107 op-amp. What I got in return was instant warmth, mellow, dark, dull, non fatiguing sound. I could describe the sound as being reminiscent of similar characteristics to my Focal Elegia or Sennheiser Massdrop 6XX which have a laid back non fatiguing sound that many appreciate for loud or long term listening. This was sounding pretty amazing and now we were ready to get down to business.

I grabbed another Little Dot I+ amplifier to set up the side-by-side comparison. In this Little Dot I+ I placed another pair of identical Western Electric 408A tubes, but of course put in the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp. With the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp and WE408A the warmth mellow dark from the tube was there, but the dull had transformed to clarity. The clarity arrived in terms of mid vocal presentation. A very laid back non fatiguing sound. I was experiencing a very full, round tubey vocal sensation that solid state amps can never create along with the clarity that a $400 or higher amp would bring. This was a great combination.

wall 2.jpeg

I continued listening for a while comparing the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp vs the amp with the OPA2107. As I began to move away from rock tracks to modern electric and synthetic instrumentation like Dua Lipa and The Weeknd, I was hearing the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp setup exceeding with very accurate solid-state three dimensional reproduction in terms of sound stage and imaging. Even though I was hearing very enjoyable tubey goodness from both setups, what I was witnessing was a great combination of tube and Burson V6 Vivid op-amp that placed this combination up to par with the OPA2107. Did this combination beat the $28 OPA2107? No, it was a draw. This is a complication of explaining favorable tube sound on a forum. I might like one setup more than another, then the person right next to me might prefer the opposite. But, let it be said that both setups were wet and tubey and I enjoyed both of them. Ultimately, I am going to call this one a draw.

87E08309-69EA-4E42-81EF-9707F6204B41.jpg

So, I knew I needed to bring in the big guns in order to compete with the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp setup. The Singxer SA-1 is an amazing amp that pairs extremely well with the M1570. This pairing exceeds the Schiit Jotunheim in both sound stage and imaging with a very airy and open presentation. So now I wanted to test if this was a more level playing field. Burson V6 Vivid op-amp and WE408A versus the much higher priced $540 Singxer SA-1.
Having already spent countless hours with the Monoprice M1570 headphone and Singxer SA-1 amplifier, I have developed a strong familiarity with the resulting sound. The Singxer SA-1 brought three dimensional accuracy and powerful dynamic control. I was hoping to witness some magical feat of victory from this inexpensive Burson setup to beat my Singxer champion. But perhaps this was asking too much of a $103 amplifier upgraded with an $85 Burson V6 Vivid op-amp.

10801352-543E-412C-9F9E-DB32B839D4B5.jpeg

I plugged the Monoprice M1570 into the amplifiers. What I was hearing from the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp and WE408A setup was a sacrifice of some three dimensional accuracy and powerful dynamic control compared to the Singxer. BUT, and that is a lot of BUT, once again I was greeted with the best of both worlds. I can speculate that what was happening was that the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp was creating the foundation of decent clarity and accuracy for the tubes to build their magic tubey goodness upon. The Western Electric 408A tubes accentuated the three dimensional portrayal that one would normally get from a solid state amp. The additional micro-reverberation from the tubes made the three dimensional experience over the top to a degree that I have never before experienced on Little Dot I+ amplifiers. For me as a personal preference, this is a good thing. The depth and width of the soundstage reverberated the horizon and the heightened stage rose up into the sky like bottle rockets. In terms of tube sound, this little cheap amplifier was punching way above its weight in terms of fun. Plugging back into the Singxer SA-1 brought me back to my room aware of the headphones and the exact placements of instruments and vocals. However, I was here for fun. The urge to go back to the tubes was too great for my willpower to fight.

9DFE1233-FDC4-4230-A062-3392507C4A8D.jpeg

What did I learn from all of this? The Burson V6 Vivid op-amp had brought a level of enjoyment and fun that surpassed my $540 Singxer SA-1. If you love wet tubey sound with over the top micro-reverberation, then the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp is a winner when paired with your favorite tubes.

Also, prior to this, the OPA2107 was one of my favorite op-amps for the Little Dot I+. I think the Burson has ruined me. I don’t know if I can ever go back to the OPA2107 when the Burson can extract so much performance out of my tubes!

Are we done? Where do we go from here? Well, I am satisfied with my findings of the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp. It is a winner with my favorite headphone, the Monoprice M1570. However, I am certain that some would want me to share my findings with a more popular expensive planar headphone. For the third and final installation of this tri-audio-thon, I shall bring in the $1,200 Audeze LCD-X headphone!

SO…, tune in again for more Burson V6 Vivid op-amp excitement!

Coming soon!

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #456 of 533
Hello,
Interesting contribution.
With which Dac did you actually gain your listening impressions?

I found the Matrix audio ipro mini 2S (Ess chip) as a preamp connected to the Little Dot 1+ clearly too sharp and listener fatiguing.
With the Lcd2 as well as Aeon R/T.
The whole thing changed considerably with an Akm or Cirus Logic chip Dac.

I also have a Vivid V6 here but not tested after the modification.
I found the V5i better.
I didn't like either of the op amps as much with the standard design as I did with the original op amp.

Since my Ld1+ failed 2 months ago because of a defective capacitor and tube socket of the left channel.
I repaired it myself and modified it a bit.
I replaced the sockets with two new ones with gold pins.
Replaced the defective capacitor in pairs with Audio Note and replaced the Elna's with Nichicon Fg and two new Mex foil capacitors.

After the small modifications, I initially used the original op amp and soon noticed that something was missing.
I then tried the Burson V5i and was able to make gains in all areas right away.
However, I have not yet tested the V6.
But the V5i is even better with the additional modifications.
I found the sound less fat and coloured than before.
And with the Lcd2C and Aeon R/T, the sound has really improved.

Overall, I agree with you that the LD1+ is still stunning for the money if you have the right tubes on it.
It is also expandable and clearly has no problems handling planar headphones.

However, I found that by replacing the capacitors and op amp, you gain even more than if you only replace the op amp.

My impression at the time was that without the capacitors the V6 sounded extremely fat with the Brimar and Mullard tubes.
The V5i was better but coloured too much for me.
And I also tested the Au627, which was a little better than the V5i but still coloured me.

Apart from that, I think it's a bit of a shame that Little Dot have skimped on their concept in terms of components.
And unfortunately they didn't update it after 10 years to make it better, although it deserved it.

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #457 of 533
Hello,
Interesting contribution.
With which Dac did you actually gain your listening impressions?

I found the Matrix audio ipro mini 2S (Ess chip) as a preamp connected to the Little Dot 1+ clearly too sharp and listener fatiguing.
With the Lcd2 as well as Aeon R/T.
The whole thing changed considerably with an Akm or Cirus Logic chip Dac.

I also have a Vivid V6 here but not tested after the modification.
I found the V5i better.
I didn't like either of the op amps as much with the standard design as I did with the original op amp.

Since my Ld1+ failed 2 months ago because of a defective capacitor and tube socket of the left channel.
I repaired it myself and modified it a bit.
I replaced the sockets with two new ones with gold pins.
Replaced the defective capacitor in pairs with Audio Note and replaced the Elna's with Nichicon Fg and two new Mex foil capacitors.

After the small modifications, I initially used the original op amp and soon noticed that something was missing.
I then tried the Burson V5i and was able to make gains in all areas right away.
However, I have not yet tested the V6.
But the V5i is even better with the additional modifications.
I found the sound less fat and coloured than before.
And with the Lcd2C and Aeon R/T, the sound has really improved.

Overall, I agree with you that the LD1+ is still stunning for the money if you have the right tubes on it.
It is also expandable and clearly has no problems handling planar headphones.

However, I found that by replacing the capacitors and op amp, you gain even more than if you only replace the op amp.

My impression at the time was that without the capacitors the V6 sounded extremely fat with the Brimar and Mullard tubes.
The V5i was better but coloured too much for me.
And I also tested the Au627, which was a little better than the V5i but still coloured me.

Apart from that, I think it's a bit of a shame that Little Dot have skimped on their concept in terms of components.
And unfortunately they didn't update it after 10 years to make it better, although it deserved it.
I completely understand where some upgrades would improve the Little Dot I+. While it is able to produce sonic magic with the Burson op-amps, it is lacking in power compared to full tube amps and modern high end solid state amps. Any upgrades to add some muscle to this amplifier are welcomed upgrades.

The DAC that I used for this write up was the $100 Schiit Modi 3+. A higher end DAC would have improved the sound, but I do not feel that it would change any of my statements made of the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp.

Little Dot I+ is a simple and cheap amplifier. I too had to repair one of mine. It was not getting A/C power due to the cheap fuse switch male power socket that they chose to use. I also have another Little Dot I+ that is at full volume all of the time, so I think that the potentiometer might need replacing. My first generation Little Dot I+ have the crappiest little switches in them that sometimes don't fully engage unless you give them a swift push when using them, which had me scratching my head on why it wasn't working when I first got them. However, I expect quirks and build quality issues from such an inexpensive amplifier. It has no doubt been a true bargain for the sound that it can produce.

Do not read this paragraph if you don't like spoilers.
SPOILER ALERT:
I have not posted the third installment of my write up yet. However, you already predicted in your post what tubes I switch to. With my Audeze LCD-X I end up with Mullards paired with the Burson op-amp.

Deleeh, Thank you very much for providing some of your insight and sharing your experience.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #458 of 533

Why not try high end planar headphones on this amp. After all, it is a hybrid amp, which means tubey goodness of tubes and the flexibility of solid state amp circuitry able to drive pretty much all dynamic and planar headphones. This last installment will be short and sweet as we drive the Audeze LCD-X (2020) with our Burson V6 Vivid op-amp upgraded Little Dot I+.
Audeze.jpeg

I continue my listening by firing up some Post Malone and The Weeknd to get these Audeze moving some bass like they were built to do. Some might call the Audeze LCD-X bass heavy. I would rather state that they are capable of turning out the lowest frequencies. However, the truth of the matter is that they are easy to drive well, so even a $103 Little Dot I+ should be capable of producing the lowest lows. So this begs me to try this amplifier with the Audeze LCD-X. As expected, bass lovers rejoice! The bass is there in spades. After rolling my tubes a few times, I end up pairing the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp with a pair of Mullard 6AK5W.
Mullard.jpeg
Mullard 2.jpeg

This time I want to battle with a modern amplifier that is used by many. I also want the amplifier to be a hybrid amplifier. This leaves me with just one choice; the $500 Schiit Lyr 3. They are both hybrid tube amps, meaning they have solid state and tubes. However, as stated earlier, the Little Dot I+ uses op-amps. So, with the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp in place, which one sounds better? Now, you might expect me to say that this Little Dot I+ cannot compete with the $500 Schiit Lyr 3. However, with the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp upgrade it kept pace right alongside the Schiit Lyr 3. Despite the price differences, I cannot say that either one was better than the other but each did certain things better.

First of all, the sound stage because I am a lover of good sound stage. The Schiit Lyr 3 projected a large rounded smoothed out sound stage in Schiit like fashion. This is somewhat part of the Schiit house sound, and is also predominant in the Jotunheim 1 and Jotunheim 2. So the Lyr 3 combines Schiit house sound with added benefits of tubey goodness. Win win for Schiit Lyr 3 in this respect.
Schiit lyr vs.jpeg

What does the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp bring to the Little Dot I+ better than the Lyr 3? With the Burson V6 Vivid, I was hearing an underlying refined articulate detail usually only brought out in amps like my $900 RSA HR-2 or my $540 Singxer SA-1. Clear like crystal. Guitar strings rang. Grit in vocals were textured with air and rasp in such fine detail. I was hearing ultra detail, and with tubes to boot! This was an addicting winning combination. And yet, the soundstage grew to a wide airy presentation that I did enjoy. The Burson V6 Vivid / Little Dot I+ combination made Audeze LCD-X seem like they were much higher end headphones than what I had paid for.

If you have made it to our ending, thank you for reading about my adventure with the Burson V6 Vivid op-amp! I had a blast doing this. Thank you John Burson for providing me with a Burson V6 Vivid op-amp.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #459 of 533

Attachments

• 20210930_164029.jpg
    20210930_164029.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210930_164245.jpg
    20210930_164245.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210930_164304.jpg
    20210930_164304.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210930_165358.jpg
    20210930_165358.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210930_165403.jpg
    20210930_165403.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210930_165406.jpg
    20210930_165406.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 16, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #460 of 533
Someone who used V6 Vivid and Classic for a very long time can confirm ?

I have some of these in my old Burson Play. I've posted some comparisons long time ago here. But I noticed recently that there is almost no audible difference in those I've used since the beginning - whatever I use, Vivid or Classic, the sound is the same. Maybe (?) a bit more punch for Vivid. In a blind test I cannot hear the difference - after more than 2000 hours of use - perhaps even 3000 hours ( I've stopped counting long time ago. )...
I bought a new pair of Vivids and the new ones sound as I remembered before.

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #461 of 533
Someone who used V6 Vivid and Classic for a very long time can confirm ?

I have some of these in my old Burson Play. I've posted some comparisons long time ago here. But I noticed recently that there is almost no audible difference in those I've used since the beginning - whatever I use, Vivid or Classic, the sound is the same. Maybe (?) a bit more punch for Vivid. In a blind test I cannot hear the difference - after more than 2000 hours of use - perhaps even 3000 hours ( I've stopped counting long time ago. )...
I bought a new pair of Vivids and the new ones sound as I remembered before.
I am trying out a pair of Burson Classic opamps right now. Last time the bottleneck was my $160 LItle Dot amplifier. This time I am going all out and pairing them with my most expensive solid state headphone amp the Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2. Stay tuned for my impressions in the not too distant future ...

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #462 of 533
I am trying out a pair of Burson Classic opamps right now. Last time the bottleneck was my $160 LItle Dot amplifier. This time I am going all out and pairing them with my most expensive solid state headphone amp the Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2. Stay tuned for my impressions in the not too distant future ...
I are you sure you can close the case with the Bursons? Typically Ray's amplifier case is not tall enough for the Bursons chips. Ray's latest recommendation is the OPA1611 mounted on a Brown Dog adapter.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #463 of 533
I are you sure you can close the case with the Bursons? Typically Ray's amplifier case is not tall enough for the Bursons chips. Ray's latest recommendation is the OPA1611 mounted on a Brown Dog adapter.
Very observant of you. You are wise and you are correct.

The Burson opamp is too tall and I have the top of the case off for now. I am thinking that I might need some extension leads from Burson in order to close the top of the amplifier case.
https://www.bursonaudio.com/product/35mm-extension-lead-x-2/

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #464 of 533
Very observant of you. You are wise and you are correct.

The Burson opamp is too tall and I have the top of the case off for now. I am thinking that I might need some extension leads from Burson in order to close the top of the amplifier case.
https://www.bursonaudio.com/product/35mm-extension-lead-x-2/
I have tried those on my Apache and one of the wires broke. I tried the Burson V5i, which fits perfectly but it wasn't the best. I currently use the Sparkos Labs SS2590 but they just fit as their width was almost too much. Height was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back