Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Dec 17, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #136 of 553
Sorry guys, promised to write this sooner, but led a really busy lifestyle for past months and "didn't have time" :)

Burson did a great job with packaging and it took exactly 14 days to arrive to Europe

2pyys15.jpg

Didn't know what to do with zip ties though, OpAmps already fitted really tight in my card.

15z5mc6.jpg

Yes, I cleaned my box afterwards :)

2aiha9h.jpg

Because of my PC configuration I could only fit them in the lowest slot, right above power supply. I hope this is not too bad from interference standpoint?

I put together some day-to-day notes in first 2 weeks about my "in the moment" experience with these amps burning in.
If you want to read it, it's below:
  • As for the 1st day, sound was already more detailed,
    but couldn't tell much difference coming from stock amps which came with this card.
    Those must have burned in nicely, being used for more than half a year.

• In 5th day: opamps went haywire.
    For some time, speech was unlistenable, almost like ultrasound. It made my ears bleed.

• 6th day: My ears got healed as highs became much softer and more enjoyable than they were previously.
    I was able to hear someone talk again.

• 8th day: Still some occasional cancerous hissing at high-mids, but luckily less disturbing than before.

• 9th day: I could hear little details which I couldn't have left unnoticed before.
    What previous op-amps just weren't able to deliver. Wider, more defined soundstage..

• 12th day: A pleasant surprise. Even smoother and wider, yet more defined soundstage.
    Even more (not silent either) details, which I couldn't have missed in songs before.
    Enrique Iglesias ft Nadiya. Tired Of Being Sorry, completely transformed and
    David Bowie - Starman, uncovered some small details never heard before.
Although I've heard this song more than 10 times,
I could now easily hear and separate bass guitar from acoustic playing at the same time.
Highs could still come along a bit too harsh, but much less frequent than week ago.

Couple of months later now, I can tell You from my experience, this is definitely a worth buy.
If you consider it as a long-time investement, 150$ is not that much if you're lucky enough to live in a first or second -world country and have a job.

Songs are more detailed than ever, soundstage is more open and positioned, bass is more punchy and smoother, yet more contained.
Take this with a grain of salt, but some songs seem to sound much different than before, though I could not tell what was missing then.
If you play PC games, in FPS shooter games you gain massively, as I could hear and position predictable enemies easier than ever before.

Of course you also need some good equipment to really benefit from this. Although my small Logitech 2.1 speaker setup cost more than 200€,
but unlike before, it cannot compete with good pair of Sennheiser's I now prefer to wield out more.

If you're still deciding whether Bursons is a worth upgrade, Go for this and you will never look back :)

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #138 of 553
Hi, great modding. However, I would remove the spacers (additional DIP8 sockets) to allow a bit of the airflow.
I could, but I'm afraid about that little capacitor guy, and that his leg may brake brake if I choose to do so..
No problems so far, so I guess temperature stays at acceptable level.
I will soon buy a new PC case and, if situation looks about same, extenders for amps as well :)

Edit: Sound is still improving and it sounds AMAZING !!!!!!!1

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #139 of 553
Alright, I have received my V6 Vivid Singles now for the Buffer Stage on my Creative ZXR now. I have had the V6 Vivid Duals in the IV Stage for several weeks now. I have to say that everything I said previously with having the LME49710HA Metal Can opamps in the buffer stage with the Duals in the IV stage needs to be updated. Having the V6 Vivids everywhere in this sound card has completely changed the sound quality of this ZXR. I am in 100 percent complete shock here. I am only 5 hours in so far with the Singles and I am completely blown away. The detail retrieval and soundstage is just unbelievable with having the Vivids everywhere in the card. Sadly, I could not fit these in the card with the heatsinks on. My ZXR is the 3rd revision of the sound card, and has even tighter space between the buffer opamps. There is a cap right between the opamps, and it is just not going to allow the heatsinks to stay on with these opamps.I tried for 20 minutes to fit them in. There is just no way. They installed in the card without the heatsinks just fine. I was able to fit the duals in with the heatsinks no problem, but the singles will just not fit. After 100 hours use, I will put up an updated review. I am completely blown away at this point though. The sound quality of this card is totally transformed.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #140 of 553
I am not aware of heatsinks on the V6 Vivids. Are you referring to the plastic cover with the grooves? Maybe I am wrong but I thought they were a cosmetic cover to seal over their design.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #142 of 553
No, not the sound card shroud. Yes, the plastic covers on the opamps. I only got 2 hours sleep last night. I made a bit of an error in my description. They can't fit in the buffer stage with the plastic covers on. There is no way. I had to put the opamps in without the red covers. My sound card is the third revision that was made of the ZXR. On that card, the opamps in the buffer stage are a tiny bit closer together. There is a capacitor that sits between them. It is impossible to put the opamps in while leaving the plastic covers on. No big deal though.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #143 of 553
I know what you're saying, I needed to remove myself the plastic shell to fit 2 x SS V6 Classic in my Matrix HPA-3B headamp (voltage amp. stage) so I can close the case properly. :)

I've tested both Classic and Vivid in my amp and need to say that details retrieval is huge with the Vivids. However, when pairing the amp with a detailed or brighten DAC or headphones you might need to try the Classics too. I find them pairing better with my Essence One DAC and K701 headphones. Also, scene seems to be increasing a bit and sound gets a bit more laid-back; at least for Jazz and Blues I find the Classics better for my taste.

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #144 of 553
With my K712 Pro, I am getting a very impressive experience. This headphone already has a great soundstage, and nice detail retrieval. These opamps are just offering an even better experience when paired with this headphone. I am quite impressed.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #145 of 553
I have to say that the sound quality change I am experiencing is drastic. I previously had LME49710HA metal can opamps in the IV stage, and buffer stage in my card. I was then sent two of the V6 Vivid Duals by Charles to put in the IV stage of the card for my honest review a couple pages back. The difference in sound quality was noticeable, as expected. However, now that I have taken out the other LME49710HA metal can opamps that I had in the buffer stage, and replaced them with the V6 Vivid Singles that I received the other day, I am amazed. Detail retrieval and treble extension are just awesome. Everything is just so bloody crisp, revealing and smooth. There is immense air and detail, yet there is not a hint of harshness or grain at all. Soundstage has huge depth and everything is nice and spacious. Instruments are forward and accurately presented. If I am getting this experience after only 10 hours, I can't wait to see what I am going to experience at 100 hours. My V6 Vivid Duals probably have 150-200 hours on them at this point. I am trying to get these V6 Vivid Singles burned in as quick as possible to do an updated review. I am extremely impressed. These completely destroy the LME49710HA metal cans I was previously using in the card.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #146 of 553
No, not the sound card shroud. Yes, the plastic covers on the opamps. I only got 2 hours sleep last night. I made a bit of an error in my description. They can't fit in the buffer stage with the plastic covers on. There is no way. I had to put the opamps in without the red covers. My sound card is the third revision that was made of the ZXR. On that card, the opamps in the buffer stage are a tiny bit closer together. There is a capacitor that sits between them. It is impossible to put the opamps in while leaving the plastic covers on. No big deal though.
I also had problems getting the V6 Vivid dual fitting with the red case at the PCB, so my solutions was to use a raps and a sharp knife to remove some of the plastic near to a capacitor.

And I do not think either the red or orange plastic cover/shell is used as a heat shrink, and I also do not believe it´s so good for shielding as most shielding are made of some metals, such as aluminum or copper. I think the main purpose of it are to make the Opamp look nice and maybe also it will avoid some dust to stick on the it, and also Burson will be shure no one will mod or use an solder iron, as that will this will lost the warranty. The downside with the plastic cover are it will make it go more hot and it will need more space - but luckily it will now have open holes at the top, so it will not get as warm as the V5.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #147 of 553
I also had problems getting the V6 Vivid dual fitting with the red case at the PCB, so my solutions was to use a raps and a sharp knife to remove some of the plastic near to a capacitor.

And I do not think either the red or orange plastic cover/shell is used as a heat shrink, and I also do not believe it´s so good for shielding as most shielding are made of some metals, such as aluminum or copper. I think the main purpose of it are to make the Opamp look nice and maybe also it will avoid some dust to stick on the it, and also Burson will be shure no one will mod or use an solder iron, as that will this will lost the warranty. The downside with the plastic cover are it will make it go more hot and it will need more space - but luckily it will now have open holes at the top, so it will not get as warm as the V5.

The outer casing also shows which way round they should be installed, as there is no indication on the pins which way round they should be installed (unless you leave the DIP socket on them). To install in the Burson Play you have to remove the DIP socket otherwise they are too tall.

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #149 of 553
First of all many thanks to Charles for reaching out and providing me a free sample of a Burson V6 Vivid Dual opamp.

I'm using an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 soundcard which uses AKM AK4396VF DACs. The Burson opamp replaced the soundcard's default LM4562NA. My computer has a Seasonic M12II-520 EVO for power supply.

8yzvnNb.jpg

Ym8E1B2.jpg

ByMlj4n.jpg

7OlMaQt.jpg

8xmB5jk.jpg

43JloBK.jpg

HnDs43X.jpg

VxlgOMB.jpg

JW8hTXj.jpg

I'm using an Edifier R1900TII 2.0 for speakers and foobar2000 for audio player using ASIO. My soundcard is set to Audio Creation Mode with Bit-Matched Playback mode enabled.

Initial impressions: goood.
Even out of box, without any burn-in, this opamp sounds better than the LM4562. It doesn't have that slight metalic sounding piercing highs, it's smooth yet very detailed, like something has calmed down inside my speaker. Sometimes it almost sounds like there are more instruments on the tracks but weren't before. For example there is an Evanescence song with a small crackling sound with the LM4562, but with the Burson it tured out to be a sound of a string. In The Rolling Stones - She’s A Rainbow the trumpets are more prominent or better seperated. At first i thought that my speakers are a little bass shy, maybe they are too, but with the Burson there is a little bit more bass now, a few additional decibel below 100Hz adds more body to it, but until it's fully burned in i'll use it flat. The mids were layed back too on the LM4562, or rather it was high focused, maybe overly so, human speech now sounds more forward.

Apocalyptica, Murray Gold, Clint Mansell, Star Wars themes, and bunch of other music likes this opamp.

Never thought these speakers can sound this good, at the same time i don't want to wonder how the Burson V6 Vivid could perform on more pricey / quality speakers.

How should i say, it's easier to listening to songs and to spot different musical instruments, layers of the music. It's definite step up from the LM4562, and it barely got out of its box, can't wait to see/hear what it's truly capable, it's definitely gonna be awesome! For now i'm really content with it!

By the way, is there any mod which can make it sound even better?

Update 2018.03.11: So... almost 2 months later and at least 200 hours of playback. Time to add some more stuff to this writing. There was a time period when i didn't like the sound of this opamp probably due to its burned in, like it scratched my ears / brain, slight exaggeration of course :) I was listening to music, watch same movie, animes, tv series and played games.

It's no doubt that this opamp excels in detail of humans' voices. It comes in very handy in movies and tv series when there is a lot of speech. And it makes the singers' voices more detailed more textured.

So here are a few of my observations:

Roxette - How do you do --- Sounds really good, especially the male singer has who cool relaxing voice, can even hear when he breaths in air, more detail, definietly an improvement. Naturally all songs sounds better.

Sunrise Avenue --- The same exact same thing can be said about this band as observed in Roxette's songs: the singers have a very similiar soothing voices, easy to listen to it.

Faithless - We come one --- like the effects' seperation here.

Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence --- the singer's voice excells again. Piano keys and guitar strings also sound really good.

Apocalyptica --- All of these tracks sounds really good with this opamp, different kind of string instruments seperated and positioned nicely.

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound Of Silence --- Getailed trembling voices, simply just enjoying the music

The Rolling Stones - She’s A Rainbow --- Guitar, violin, trumpet, piano, ulala-ulalala, happy smile from ear to ear :D

In This Moment --- Voices are much clearer, easier to hear what she sang, though english is not my primary language. Guitars are more distinguishable and prominent. Even the shrieks are more detailed.

I think that's it for now, later i will probably extend this post further with a few songs and bands. Though I'm not a musician so can't really express myself that very well in musical terms but it's no doubt an upgrade from the integrated opamps. Lots of small details come forward so to speak. It is true what others said, you can hear things what was hidden before even on the LM4562. The biggest improvement are the voices and mid range, it's a very clear sounding opamp with lots of detail in everwhere. It adds more bass too.

I can really recommend it anyone who can afford it. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this. Like others mentioned it, it requires some time to improve and bigger space then the small integrated ones.

Thanks goes again to Charles from Burson Audio!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #150 of 553
You want to burn these opamps in for 100 hours. The sound of these will continue to develop over that time period. Once you hit about 80 hours and beyond, things really begin to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back