Burson Supreme Sound Audio V5-OPA-D,V5-OPA-S Review
Jan 14, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #76 of 173
I received my V5 duals today.  They're burning in and sound really different - I'll leave it at that, for now, as they will probably change after several hours.  

My only complaint is that one of them doesn't sit squarely over the DIP8 socket of my amp's PCB because that particular V5's DIP8 adapter is rotated easily 7 degrees about the vertical axis, relative to the red case from which it protrudes.

If I like the sound after a good burn-in, I'll be requesting an exchange (and go back into another 16-day wait, I suppose). I intend to machine holes into the lid of my amp and I want both holes to be parallel to the case, instead of cutting one of them cockeyed to align with the twisted V5. There's absolutely no play in the V5 itself, so it's not something I can fix by applying torque.

If I don't like the sound after a good burn-in, I'll just return them for a refund.

This is a crude drawing of what I had planned...

Mike

Update:  I'm feeling less disappointed.  Listening as they burn-in and just 30 minutes out of the box, they're improving dramatically - starting to win me over with a few attributes that are really special.  

Something wonderful is about to happen.

biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #81 of 173
Yeah, but will they come to my house, re-package the V5s, label the parcel, take it to the post office, fill out the declarations forms and pay for postage?  My time is precious. 

Sorry, they won't do that but I would not be surprised if they just sent you a replacement and not ask you to sent the defective one back.

I had one that the casing was rising. It sounded fine but they sent a replacement. They started to ask for a return because they were not sure what happened but I sent some photos and they figured out how it happened. Then there was no reason to send it back.

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #84 of 173

Sorry about the hassle you have to go through.  The cost of return postage is ridiculous, which is why I am surprised they are requiring that.  I know they established a CA firm to handle the Lycan in the US so I am surprised that you can't send the V5D there for an exchange.

I have 2 V5D and 4V5S and none of them look to have the issue  you experienced.

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #85 of 173

Sorry about the hassle you have to go through.  The cost of return postage is ridiculous, which is why I am surprised they are requiring that.  I know they established a CA firm to handle the Lycan in the US so I am surprised that you can't send the V5D there for an exchange.

I have 2 V5D and 4V5S and none of them look to have the issue  you experienced.

I haven't contacted Burson yet, as I wanted to give myself a good bit of time to decide between seeking a refund or exchange. It's leaning heavily toward doing an exchange at this point. I don't yet know what the postage will be.

I know of another person (bongieto) who has recently received a twisted Burson V5 Single...

d1fa5e93_DSC01469-Bongieto_wonky_Burson_V5S_with_twisted_case_x720.jpeg

http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/4170#post_12255637

... but he will be covering it when he puts the lid back onto his Gustard H10 amp.  

If the V5s are going to be completely out of sight, it's not as big a problem as when they'll be protruding through square holes cut in the lid of a portable amp. 

And what about people who have DIP8 sockets that are closely set on the PCB - with just enough room for properly centered V5s - any twisting would make it impossible to mount them - you can't trust the case dimensions if they're going to arrive with varying amounts of twist.

Meanwhile, the sound is remarkable.  

redface.gif

Mike

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #87 of 173
Hey guys, I just finished my first impressions of SS Audio V5 MKP cap tweak.

The soldering was relatively straightforward. You do not need to worry about polarity.
I'm using a WIMA 0.1 100-SN on each of the V5-S.
My testing platform is the SS Lycan.
I had more written, but the file got deleted. I know, old school mistake.

The team at Burson told me that this mod will also improve IC Opamp performance.

My main observation sounds a little contradictory, but that's how I heard it. So overall there is a little more dynamics/contrast. The exciting bits of the song pops out a little more, which gives the song more energy. Better PRaT.

On the other side, it is somehow smoother to my ears, a little more natural, less graininess, not that there was much to begin with.

You notice I used "a little" a lot. I would say all the improvements are about a 5% performance increase. Totally worthwhile given that it's a quick mod.

FYI V5S and V5D have different pins that need soldering.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #89 of 173

I know of another person (bongieto) who has recently received a twisted Burson V5 Single...

d1fa5e93_DSC01469-Bongieto_wonky_Burson_V5S_with_twisted_case_x720.jpeg

http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/4170#post_12255637

... but he will be covering it when he puts the lid back onto his Gustard H10 amp.  

rolleyes.gif
 These are nice pics! 
L3000.gif

I suppose, as I'm 'butting in' here, I should comment about the Burson op-amps. But, there's no need; just follow the above link and you can read my impressions (courtesy of bongieto). 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back