Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Mar 27, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #2,896 of 3,132
Has anyone tried the iFi iPower Elite (granted it’s 2.5a @ 24v instead of 3a) or the iFi DC iPurifier2 with the Supercharger and did it make any difference with the noise floor?

The Soloist 3xp is the first sub $2k headphone amp I’ve tried that doesn’t clip or shut off at my listening volumes on the HE6SEv2 when going through my test playlist. On top of that it sounds great (using SparkOS opamps and a Supercharger).

However, the noise floor with pretty much all of my other headphones is annoying. No noise on any gain with the HE6Sev2 plugged in obviously. I use balanced everywhere and I’ve tried it in poweramp mode. Noise floor doesn’t change, noise floor also didn’t change for me when adding the Supercharger (no better, no worse). Noise floor also doesn’t change with volume, which leads me to believe it’s an amp/design thing, so attempting to clean up the power anymore won’t make a difference. I don’t use IEMs so low gain is actually dead silent with all of my headphones, but it doesn’t get loud enough with a majority of my headphones in low gain. Plus, I think med gain sounds better.

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #2,897 of 3,132
Since this is a topic here atm ...

I am a HE1000V2 and Soloist 3XP owner as well and the Soloist 3XP is the best (affortable) amp I was able to find the last 2-3 years (I tried approx. 20 - 30 different amps the last couple of years). For me and my personal taste, this amp just fits perfect to the HE1000V2.
I am using the Soloist without the bypass mode and 4 V6 Vivid OpAmps. I have tried Sparkos ss3602 and the Burson V6 Classics as well, but I prefer the stock V6 Vivids.
Was not asked, but I just prefer top notch measuring DACs like Topping D90SE, Gustard X18 etc with the Soloist 3XP and HE1000V2. Why? Because the Soloist already adds some musicality. I think a smooth, musical and sometimes muddy DAC (like most R2R DACs are for example) is to much for me. But everyone is different and everyone has to make her/his own experience.
100% correct.
Only realized this when I changed my DAC to the x26pro.
The He1000v2 paired with an Ares2 R2R DAC doesn't have the best synergy - the sound signature was too soft.

I read that you prefer medium gain but I find that medium gain introduces noise that I can hear with I.E.Ms
Power amp mode in low gain has zero noise which I find helps with sound separation and layering.

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,898 of 3,132
I’m using my vintage Marantz 2245 as a preamp into my Burson Soloist and then into a 375 watt power amp. Sounds much better than the Burson straight into the amp. Anything wrong with this setup? I guess it’s like preamping twice? Marantz 2245 pre> Burson Pre> power amp.

Apr 15, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #2,899 of 3,132
I’m using my vintage Marantz 2245 as a preamp into my Burson Soloist and then into a 375 watt power amp. Sounds much better than the Burson straight into the amp. Anything wrong with this setup? I guess it’s like preamping twice? Marantz 2245 pre> Burson Pre> power amp.
I've tried preamping twice and I thought it sounded good at the time, but really it is just deviating father from linear with each component, I was using a preamp with Burson Classic opamps to a tube amp, to the 789. Up to you if you really like it but I would cut out either the Marantz or the Burson and compare.

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #2,900 of 3,132
I've tried preamping twice and I thought it sounded good at the time, but really it is just deviating father from linear with each component, I was using a preamp with Burson Classic opamps to a tube amp, to the 789. Up to you if you really like it but I would cut out either the Marantz or the Burson and compare.

My reason is for listening to Phono source on the Burson. I run my TT into my Marantz phono stage. Then preamp out into the Burson. I would use Tape Out and bypass my Marantz preamp but the RCA input level is unacceptably low. So I am
Preamping twice.

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #2,901 of 3,132
My reason is for listening to Phono source on the Burson. I run my TT into my Marantz phono stage. Then preamp out into the Burson. I would use Tape Out and bypass my Marantz preamp but the RCA input level is unacceptably low. So I am
Preamping twice.
I think in this case the phono stage doesn't quite count as a preamp (although maybe it technically does), I would use it your way if I had that setup. :)

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #2,902 of 3,132
I think in this case the phono stage doesn't quite count as a preamp (although maybe it technically does), I would use it your way if I had that setup. :)
To bypass the Marantz’ preamp I would have to use the REC/Tape output on my Marantz. This works but is so quiet it cannot drive the Burson to an adequate volume level.

That said, I can flip the input button on my Burson remote and easily compare with and without the Marantz in the chain (XLR directly from DAC into the Burson) and (RCA from DAC to my Marantz and then Preamp output to Burson). Turns out I can barely pick them apart in a blind test. Marantz volume must be at 3pm to match the DAC on its own .

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #2,904 of 3,132
it seems like there have been a ton of bursons listed in the classifieds recently. are people realizing that they don't need so much power?
That's gotta be it. Just the other day I was thinking the same thing about my Ferrari. It just has too much power. What a waste.

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #2,905 of 3,132
That's gotta be it. Just the other day I was thinking the same thing about my Ferrari. It just has too much power. What a waste.
I mean, I think having a Ferrari for stop and go commuting would be a waste. but yeah, silly question. could be anything from preferring a different sound signature to poor synergy in their current set-up to needing some cash or wanting a smaller footprint on the desk

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #2,907 of 3,132
it seems like there have been a ton of bursons listed in the classifieds recently. are people realizing that they don't need so much power?

There is always an upgrade potencial :D I am reaaaaaaly happy with by Soloist 3XP, but already hand full friends bought a HA-A3 recently and am considering this step as well. Its nothing against the Soloist.

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #2,908 of 3,132
Speaking as one of those burson sellers, I just bought two of them to see which one suited me better so I am offloading the other one haha. I also needed different flexibility to the setup, I got a conductor and am thinking about getting an rme instead of the dac portion to have eq options that arent software.

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #2,909 of 3,132
Speaking as one of those burson sellers, I just bought two of them to see which one suited me better so I am offloading the other one haha. I also needed different flexibility to the setup, I got a conductor and am thinking about getting an rme instead of the dac portion to have eq options that arent software.
...guess I find myself wondering how different the GT sounds than the 3XP...not that I'm aching to make a change but still, it's quite a bit more and I am only interested in the sonic differences, not the added features (if memory serves there are a few things the GT does that I personally don't need).

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #2,910 of 3,132
...guess I find myself wondering how different the GT sounds than the 3XP...not that I'm aching to make a change but still, it's quite a bit more and I am only interested in the sonic differences, not the added features (if memory serves there are a few things the GT does that I personally don't need).
I just want to know if the supercharger does anything or if Im being tempted by snake oil haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back