Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Dec 1, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #2,791 of 3,128
From Burson's website, the Conductor 3XP is 6W XLR and 3W SE. The soloist is 8W balanced and 4W SE. Just wanted to put this out there. The Conductor is not less than half the power of the Soloist as someone previously stated.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #2,792 of 3,128
Shipped out today, should be there tmrw!

Tracking Number - 1Z57FR490336293313

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #2,795 of 3,128
Hello,

I bought a used Soloist 3x yesterday and when I turn on or off the unit there is a moderately loud POP sound if my headphone or active speakers are plugged in.
My only temporary solution is to power on the Soloist and then plug my headphones in. When I am finished, unplug the headphones before powering the Soloist off.

Is this normal, or is this device faulty?

Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #2,796 of 3,128
Hello,

I bought a used Soloist 3x yesterday and when I turn on or off the unit there is a moderately loud POP sound if my headphone or active speakers are plugged in.
My only temporary solution is to power on the Soloist and then plug my headphones in. When I am finished, unplug the headphones before powering the Soloist off.

I did not have that experience with my 3XP. Can't say for others. But I would follow your temporary solution to be safe.

How do you like the Soloist and HEKV2 pairing? :)

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #2,797 of 3,128
I did not have that experience with my 3XP. Can't say for others. But I would follow your temporary solution to be safe.

How do you like the Soloist and HEKV2 pairing?
I have spent more time reading the forums troubleshooting rather than listening to the unit.
Will share impressions later.

What amp did you upgrade to?

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #2,798 of 3,128
I have spent more time reading the forums troubleshooting rather than listening to the unit.
Will share impressions later.

What amp did you upgrade to?
I have not upgraded to anything else yet. I felt that the 3XP did bring out the best technical performance from HEKV2 though so far...haven't tried anything else like Violectric or Ferrum yet so...

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #2,799 of 3,128
Hello,

It is in the manual to plug in headphones after powering up and before powering on, with no audio playing. Worth a quick read.
Just got mine Saturday:
system final.jpg

need to organize cables and the room. I just hacked together that headphone cable after the new tripowin Granvia got a short in one connection. I didn't have the correct paracord sizes. It was really hard dealing with 24awg, and the stupid tiny solder point of the rean 3.5mm connector. (I also need to build speaker cables.)

By the way I strapped a usb fan I had to the power cord of the SMSL to blow on the Burson. It's to loud at low setting so I ordered a variable speed 120mm fan with wall plug. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092C65F3P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

system fan.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #2,800 of 3,128
FWIW, this has been my standard procedure with all amps and headphones for years (and with no audio playing, of course). Easy to do and I haven't lost a headphone yet.

And a segue: has anyone heard the new Violectric V220? That and the Soloist are my final candidates for a new amp (purchase contemplated for February after I save a bit), with the Soloist the favorite ATM. The V220 is a couple of hundred USD more than the Soloist, but once you add in the $99 stand (which I intend to buy along with it) and the $300 supercharger (which I know I won't be able to resist within a couple of months of purchase) it actually comes out around a hundred bucks cheaper.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #2,801 of 3,128
FWIW, this has been mu standard procedure with all amps and headphones for years (and with no audio playing, of course). Easy to do and I haven't lost a headphone yet
Guess my Singxer sa1 spoiled me.
As I could never could make my headphones or active speaker pop

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #2,802 of 3,128
Hello,

I just bought a new one and that sound is loud and annoying. Not liking it at all. Might be going back to a store...

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #2,803 of 3,128
It is strange there is not a built in relay

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #2,804 of 3,128
I have not upgraded to anything else yet. I felt that the 3XP did bring out the best technical performance from HEKV2 though so far...haven't tried anything else like Violectric or Ferrum yet so...
Care to share your settings when paired with the Hekv2?
i.e which gain? Bypass mode?
Which op-amps are you using?

I am troubleshooting this issue with the 4 Sonic Imagery Labs op amps that came with the unit.
When all 4 are installed, on low and medium gain - a loud hiss can be heard from my active monitors (making it unusable). On high gain - there is a high-pitched coil whine.
Hopefully, someone with a similar setup can chime in.

The current solution is to use only 2 of the Sonic Imagery Labs Ops and 2 of the Stock Vivid op-amps.

Does anyone know where I can buy a spare case screw as one of the case screws was badly stripped?
The troubleshooting continues.

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #2,805 of 3,128
Care to share your settings when paired with the Hekv2?
i.e which gain? Bypass mode?
Which op-amps are you using?
Medium gain worked well for me. Not sure what Bypass mode is. I haven't actually checked, but I believe it's the stock Vivids that are installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back