Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Dec 23, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #2,821 of 3,128
Mine did that I bought new a year ago
Cool. I hear the Burson makes a phenomenal preamp. I hope these adapters do it justice.

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #2,824 of 3,128
It does. I just bought one that I did not keep... But adapters were there...
Thinking about buying a Soloist ... I'm curious why you did not keep yours ?

Dec 25, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #2,825 of 3,128
Thinking about buying a Soloist ... I'm curious why you did not keep yours ?

In no particular order:

- The volume knob. It is described as something from way more expensive units and it feels nice but it takes 10-15 360-degree turns to adjust the volume... Extremely annoying. When I am in headphones and I need to turn the volume down I don't want to endlessly spin the knob no matter how nice the knob feels...

- To switch to the line out you have to go through the menu with menu -> rotate -> pre -> rotate -> confirm... My previous amp had a button... Push ones and that's it. It even remembered the volume level for each output... The menu is just not user-friendly... There is a remote control that has a button but I did not try it and it is just too complicated.

- It gets hot. IT GETS HOT! Really hot... I do not need a frying pan on my desk.

- Loud pops. I want to be comfortable when I am paying these crazy prices... I can't believe they could not do something about those pops.

- It is musical and sounds marvelous but the other unit that I was considering was just wider and fuller and hit harder... I preferred the other sound signature. I probably would have loved Soloist if did not hear the other... But thinking about it the low end was slightly metallic... Probably depends on what music you listen to... Soloist is fine, but if you are into Jazz, Electronic, or Rock the other option I had sounded better to me. I actually asked my wife which one she liked more and she certainly preferred the Soloist.

- I was planning to use it with the Burson stand and to my surprise when I turned it 90 degrees the menu did not adjust. I was expecting the menu to turn... Maybe there is a way to do it but I did not find it.

Soloist certainly feels like a high-quality device and sounds good (providing that you like the sound signature)... If you can live with a bunch of really quirky things it is a quality amp. Just wasn't for me. I found it underwhelming and way too quirky. I would take it over any Chinese SMSL/Topping any day but my previously owned Audio GD and Questyle devices were better designed. Burson might be great in visual design but they got a long way to go in terms of usability. If power is what you are after it is very powerful. If you want something to look great on your desk it is beautiful. If you want a user-friendly device that sounds great and pleasure to use there are other things out there to consider...

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #2,826 of 3,128
In no particular order:

- The volume knob. It is described as something from way more expensive units and it feels nice but it takes 10-15 360-degree turns to adjust the volume... Extremely annoying. When I am in headphones and I need to turn the volume down I don't want to endlessly spin the knob no matter how nice the knob feels...

- To switch to the line out you have to go through the menu with menu -> rotate -> pre -> rotate -> confirm... My previous amp had a button... Push ones and that's it. It even remembered the volume level for each output... The menu is just not user-friendly... There is a remote control that has a button but I did not try it and it is just too complicated.

- It gets hot. IT GETS HOT! Really hot... I do not need a frying pan on my desk.

- Loud pops. I want to be comfortable when I am paying these crazy prices... I can't believe they could not do something about those pops.

- It is musical and sounds marvelous but the other unit that I was considering was just wider and fuller and hit harder... I preferred the other sound signature. I probably would have loved Soloist if did not hear the other... But thinking about it the low end was slightly metallic... Probably depends on what music you listen to... Soloist is fine, but if you are into Jazz, Electronic, or Rock the other option I had sounded better to me. I actually asked my wife which one she liked more and she certainly preferred the Soloist.

- I was planning to use it with the Burson stand and to my surprise when I turned it 90 degrees the menu did not adjust. I was expecting the menu to turn... Maybe there is a way to do it but I did not find it.

Soloist certainly feels like a high-quality device and sounds good (providing that you like the sound signature)... If you can live with a bunch of really quirky things it is a quality amp. Just wasn't for me. I found it underwhelming and way too quirky. I would take it over any Chinese SMSL/Topping any day but my previously owned Audio GD and Questyle devices were better designed. Burson might be great in visual design but they got a long way to go in terms of usability. If power is what you are after it is very powerful. If you want something to look great on your desk it is beautiful. If you want a user-friendly device that sounds great and pleasure to use there are other things out there to consider...
How is the remote for changing the volume?

What amp did you like better?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #2,827 of 3,128
I send Burson an email asking about the adapters for XLR>RCA. They sent me a an invoice to order them. Then I got another follow up email from them (see below). How are these different from the adapters they normally supply with the Aryas? Or are they to be used in conjunction with them?

4020944F-60DA-4C2D-8100-7C1DDA01CD8A.jpeg

Jan 2, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #2,828 of 3,128
Hi everyone!
I'm wondering what would be the most advantageous change to make the most of my intended system
imac -> ethernet to Gustard R26 -> RCA to Soloist 3XP -> unbalanced to headphones

I'm trying to skip USB , so that I can avoid those expensive DDC and I2S cables.

1) I know there are ethernet galvanic isolators that can clear up the noise. Also I read about media converters to add fiberoptic to the chain to remove noise
2) Connecting the Gustard R26 to the soloist 3xp with XLR cables, and using a balanced cable to the headphone
3) Or just leave things as I have described above

I've been reading back and forth about balanced or not. Since I cannot test A/B , wanted some input

Thanks

Jan 3, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #2,829 of 3,128
Anyone have any success running their turntable through the Burson Soloist for HP listening?

I’ve tried running two different ways:

1 - TT into my Sony preamp and then REC OUT (line level, no amplification) to the Burson. This is super quiet.

2- TT into my Sony’s Preamp then out the Preamp Out to the Burson (Sony and Burson are at maximum volume). This is barely loud enough.

Any suggestions?

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #2,830 of 3,128
Anyone have any success running their turntable through the Burson Soloist for HP listening?

1 - TT into my Sony preamp and then REC OUT (line level, no amplification) to the Burson. This is super quiet.

2- TT into my Sony’s Preamp then out the Preamp Out to the Burson (Sony and Burson are at maximum volume). This is barely loud enough.

Any suggestions?

Go digital

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #2,831 of 3,128
Go digital
I am digital 90% of the time. But I would still like to solve this issue with vinyl for the other 10% of my listening.

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #2,832 of 3,128

Any suggestions?
I would use a phono preamp. TT to phono preamp into the Burson (or phono preamp into Sony preamp and then out). I'm assuming your Sony does not have a phono preamp built into it.

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #2,833 of 3,128
I would use a phono preamp. TT to phono preamp into the Burson (or phono preamp into Sony preamp and then out). I'm assuming your Sony does not have a phono preamp built into it.
Yes, my Sony has a great Phono Preamp. It works really well. Just doesn't work well when going REC out from the Sony to the RCA input on the Burson Soloist 3XP. This configuration works better going into my Topping A90D, yet is still quieter than I like. I believe the Burson is partially to blame as it is at least 50% quieter in this scenario.

My only suspicion is whether the REC out on my Sony is bypassing the phono stage. Normally that is not the case.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #2,834 of 3,128
Yes, my Sony has a great Phono Preamp. It works really well. Just doesn't work well when going REC out from the Sony to the RCA input on the Burson Soloist 3XP. This configuration works better going into my Topping A90D, yet is still quieter than I like. I believe the Burson is partially to blame as it is at least 50% quieter in this scenario.

My only suspicion is whether the REC out on my Sony is bypassing the phono stage. Normally that is not the case.
I think with REC out, tone and volume controls don't work. Pre-outs, they do, but you said you have that maxed out. But other than that I can't help much, sorry. I'm sure someone on here will have a better answer to solve your "issue".

Jan 7, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #2,835 of 3,128
I have just bought this amplifier to replace my long-time amp - the original Topping A90. I was a little sceptical because my previous, very limited, experiences with other amps - THX 789 and the A90 Discrete - were disappointing. Both of the other two amps, have, however made me realise that the OG A90 was "rounding off" edges of sounds which, although usually pleasant to the ear, sounded rather unnatural where real instruments were being played.

The Burson, to my ears, does not do that. Which, one might think, would be more tiring to the ears. This would have been true...if it wasn't for the Burson's DEPTH. Sounds are no longer coming from a rather flat soundstage where they mostly (by comparison) used to be painted on a 2-dimensional canvas. To stress how impressive that is - I have previously praised the A90 for sounding deep and holographic in comparison to the THX 789 (and even in certain aspects of sound to the A90D). And that is still true. But the Burson is just in a different league.

I am going to post more impressions soon (I am still waiting for the Super Charger to arrive which apparently increases things by a few %), but for now I would say that this Burson is what I had hoped the A90D to be. And it has pretty much brought the same change to my system that the Gustard X26 Pro did when it replaced the Topping D90. I can't help but think that it's got something to do with both devices being discrete Class A and perhaps also the power supplies.

Admittedly, this device is much more expensive than an A90/A90D and I'd think that this upgrade may not be worth it for every type of headphone. But in my system it's yet another game changer I've discovered recently (HQPlayer being the previous one). Fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back