Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Nov 18, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #2,776 of 3,128
Quick question guys ---

Is there a sound difference between the Soloist 3XP and Conductor 3XP?
or how good a unit Conductor 3XP is being all in one or better go for a individual Soloist 3XP with a DAC to enjoy the signature sound?

Nov 19, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #2,778 of 3,128
Soloist 3XP is more powerful @ 8W vs 3W in the Conductor 3XP, this will affect the sound quality of harder to drive headphones.
Hmmm... I understand what you mean to say but I also understand the addage that more power does not mean a better sound (I mean kind of. Never liked the A90 or the A90D)

For context here, I am looking at a pairing with the HEKV2 and Edition XS and some dynamics like the Focal MG and TH900.

Features excluding between the two, if there is then how much of a difference there is, between the Conductor 3XP and Soloist 3XP and that is in context to sound exclusively .

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #2,782 of 3,128
Guys, what would be a good match with the Soloist 3XP, the Gustard X18 or the SMSL VMV D1se?

Giving weightage to a smooth musical airy soundstage.

Or if none of the two DACs will fill in the bill, then what other DAC would be a good choice?

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #2,783 of 3,128
Guys, what would be a good match with the Soloist 3XP, the Gustard X18 or the SMSL VMV D1se?

Giving weightage to a smooth musical airy soundstage.

Or if none of the two DACs will fill in the bill, then what other DAC would be a good choice?
If smoothness, musicality, and stage is what you're after, have you considered the Bifrost 2/64?

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #2,785 of 3,128
If smoothness, musicality, and stage is what you're after, have you considered the Bifrost 2/64?
I do have the Bifrost 2/64 in consideration but its not my first choice atm as I have already gone too far with my intended budget that I was wanting to spend initially while building the system.

Currently with the Hifiman EF400, I love it for its musicality, but upgrading to the Soloist for want of that commanding richness and slam and hard hitting heavy dynamics, which the EF400 kind of lacks a bit, especially for genres like EDM or Electronic Ambient or Trip hop or may be in general when listening to drums and strings.
Hence shortlisted these two DACs considering my budget atm.

If Bifrost 2/64 fills the bill, may be I search some old pants in my closet for the extra bucks and get it!

But can you tell, if the Bifrost 2/64 gives that holographic airy 3D kind of stage with the Soloist 3XP (main cans being HE1000v2)? I read that the BF 2/64 lacks the width but can have a bit more depth. I know its all subjective and each to his ears but what would you say about your ears?

Nov 30, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #2,786 of 3,128
Quick question guys ---

Is there a sound difference between the Soloist 3XP and Conductor 3XP?
or how good a unit Conductor 3XP is being all in one or better go for a individual Soloist 3XP with a DAC to enjoy the signature sound?
My opinion, based on all the reading I've done on this website, and from personal experience, it's better to get separates rather than all in one. But that is just a generalization on my part, and I've never compared the Soloist with the Conductor. I think you'd be happy with either way you go though. Burson makes some nice products!

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #2,787 of 3,128
I do have the Bifrost 2/64 in consideration but its not my first choice atm as I have already gone too far with my intended budget that I was wanting to spend initially while building the system.

Currently with the Hifiman EF400, I love it for its musicality, but upgrading to the Soloist for want of that commanding richness and slam and hard hitting heavy dynamics, which the EF400 kind of lacks a bit, especially for genres like EDM or Electronic Ambient or Trip hop or may be in general when listening to drums and strings.
Hence shortlisted these two DACs considering my budget atm.

If Bifrost 2/64 fills the bill, may be I search some old pants in my closet for the extra bucks and get it!

But can you tell, if the Bifrost 2/64 gives that holographic airy 3D kind of stage with the Soloist 3XP (main cans being HE1000v2)? I read that the BF 2/64 lacks the width but can have a bit more depth. I know its all subjective and each to his ears but what would you say about your ears?

To my ears, I sense that the BF2/64 with Soloist does give a good airy and more holographic presentation, much more than anything in the mid tier range of D/S DACs I had tried before at least. I recently got the Modi+ and tried it out with the 3XP. The difference between it and the BF2 was quite noticeable. The staging was much more narrow from the Modi, and the overall presentation was less smooth than when using the BF2. I haven't had any D/S DACs around in a while, so I can't really compare the staging of the BF2/64 with anything in the more immediate or lower price range.

I don't have the HEKv2, but I do have Arya Stealths on hand. I do feel that the stage opens up and the imaging/instrument separation/layering is much more distinct and separated when I run the Arya through the 3XP <- BF2 stack. It does gain some width, but I sense that the layering gets deeper than the stage widens.

From my understanding, the R2R DAC in the EF400 ain't a slouch either - I still haven't been able to try it out. Does the EF400 DAC not sound good with the 3XP?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #2,788 of 3,128
I have not tested the BF2 or BF2/64 yet, but usually you sacrifice resolution, tightness, precision and detail retrival with such DACs. This can be ok for you, if you already have a hp with a really good resolution detail retrival and if your music does not require this on a really high level, because musicality and long term suitability is more important.
He mentioned EDM etc ... I think such DACs are "to much" for such genres. I still think there is not 1 direction to go and everyone is happy. It really depends on your personal taste, your music genres and your headphone.

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #2,789 of 3,128
I have a Soloist 3Xp arriving tomorrow. Should I leave the unit on all the time, or turn it off when not in use? Also is there any special use advise that is not in the manual?
Edit: I gave up googling, then found some answers after posting. It sounds like turning off daily, or standby mode would be best. I still want to hear some feedback. :)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #2,790 of 3,128
To my ears, I sense that the BF2/64 with Soloist does give a good airy and more holographic presentation, much more than anything in the mid tier range of D/S DACs I had tried before at least. I recently got the Modi+ and tried it out with the 3XP. The difference between it and the BF2 was quite noticeable. The staging was much more narrow from the Modi, and the overall presentation was less smooth than when using the BF2. I haven't had any D/S DACs around in a while, so I can't really compare the staging of the BF2/64 with anything in the more immediate or lower price range.

I don't have the HEKv2, but I do have Arya Stealths on hand. I do feel that the stage opens up and the imaging/instrument separation/layering is much more distinct and separated when I run the Arya through the 3XP <- BF2 stack. It does gain some width, but I sense that the layering gets deeper than the stage widens.

From my understanding, the R2R DAC in the EF400 ain't a slouch either - I still haven't been able to try it out. Does the EF400 DAC not sound good with the 3XP?

Thanks for the views on the BF2/64. Makes sense.

The EF400 as a single unit is seriously good performance for the money spent. As I said before, its musical fluid with a nice soundstage (things can go quite far left right with the correct recordings and also has some sense of depth) and good enough resolution. When I paired the EF400 with the A90D (which I did not like the sound of. too dry and sterile and no 'life' in it), I could appreciate a bit more resolution and a bit more slam in dynamics. But sold off the A90D, and now a Soloist 3XP is on the way just to see how much more performance can be squeezed out of the HE100v2..

So I will pair Soloist 3XP with EF400 once I get my hands on it but also want a good alternative DAC as well. Hence looking for options.

I have not tested the BF2 or BF2/64 yet, but usually you sacrifice resolution, tightness, precision and detail retrival with such DACs. This can be ok for you, if you already have a hp with a really good resolution detail retrival and if your music does not require this on a really high level, because musicality and long term suitability is more important.
He mentioned EDM etc ... I think such DACs are "to much" for such genres. I still think there is not 1 direction to go and everyone is happy. It really depends on your personal taste, your music genres and your headphone.

Absolutely, there is not one that is the best or work for all solution, its all about the taste.

So you say DACs like BF2, multibit/R2R, sacrifice resolution and tightness and also say that these are 'too much' for genre like EDM - dint get this statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back