Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,997 of 2,321
I'm thinking with my new longer extensions, it may be possible.

May I ask what brand are they and if you find them to be more, less or equally noisy to the Burson extenders?

I'm not complaining for the Burson lead wires, but I prefer to use a stack of socket risers when applicable to eliminate the very small amount of noise they add.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #1,998 of 2,321
May I ask what brand are they and if you find them to be more, less or equally noisy to the Burson extenders?

I'm not complaining for the Burson lead wires, but I prefer to use a stack of socket risers when applicable to eliminate the very small amount of noise they add.
I got some from AliExpress: https://a.aliexpress.com/_msyo6X4

I also got some from Analog Classics: https://analogclassics.com/product/dip8-op-amp-socket-extender/

I haven’t noticed any issues with noise.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #1,999 of 2,321
I got some from AliExpress: https://a.aliexpress.com/_msyo6X4

I also got some from Analog Classics: https://analogclassics.com/product/dip8-op-amp-socket-extender/

I haven’t noticed any issues with noise.

AC have twice the length of the Burson so if they manage to keep noise at least at the same level that's very good. I'll keep that in mind when the need comes.

I also wonder if and how fragile they are. Burson wires are essentially a one-time arrangement. After using them for a while they'll become really stiff and snap easily near the connection. In order to make them reusable I have to hold them close to a strong heat source for a minute and then rearrange their position quickly before they cool down again.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #2,001 of 2,321
AC have twice the length of the Burson so if they manage to keep noise at least at the same level that's very good. I'll keep that in mind when the need comes.

I also wonder if and how fragile they are. Burson wires are essentially a one-time arrangement. After using them for a while they'll become really stiff and snap easily near the connection. In order to make them reusable I have to hold them close to a strong heat source for a minute and then rearrange their position quickly before they cool down again.

Thanks for the link.
Just use a heat gun (carefully from a distance) on the wires, and they become soft again (remove the opamp first ofcourse). And ofcourse take them out of the amplifier

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #2,002 of 2,321
Anyone who's still in the market for some Sparkos opamps. Promo code: GEMINI25 gives you 25% off. Just scored a pair of SS2590's w/ the DIP 8 adaptor installed for $94.

https://sparkoslabs.com/shop/

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2,003 of 2,321

Thanks for the link.
I noticed with these longer ones, there's just much more to work with in terms of bending into place. Less likely for the contacts to break since less or no pressure is applied.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #2,004 of 2,321
I noticed with these longer ones, there's just much more to work with in terms of bending into place. Less likely for the contacts to break since less or no pressure is applied.
Can they sustain the weight of the SS2590 without touching anything when stretched sideways to their max?

Possessing the shorter wires too seems to be a must for more options and better layout. When Burson eventually release their DAC/amp combo with the Noctua and the power modules it is going to be one hell of a challenge.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #2,005 of 2,321
Can they sustain the weight of the SS2590 without touching anything when stretched sideways to their max?

Possessing the shorter wires too seems to be a must for more options and better layout. When Burson eventually release their DAC/amp combo with the Noctua and the power modules it is going to be one hell of a challenge.
If you look back a page or two, you'll see a picture of my current config. It's not pretty, but I haven't run into any issues with the op amps potentially making contact with other parts of the amp. Knock on wood, but I'm not that concerned. I like to live dangerously.

The longer extensions actually are more flexible than the Burson ones, so you can bend the op amps into place easier. That said, there is a bit of dangling going on.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #2,006 of 2,321
If you look back a page or two, you'll see a picture of my current config. It's not pretty, but I haven't run into any issues with the op amps potentially making contact with other parts of the amp. Knock on wood, but I'm not that concerned. I like to live dangerously.

The longer extensions actually are more flexible than the Burson ones, so you can bend the op amps into place easier. That said, there is a bit of dangling going on.
Yeah I had to rest an SS2590 on top of a capacitor to make a full Sparkos configuration work inside the C3 Reference. No problem with that. I just wanted to know how strong they are. Thanks again for the input.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #2,008 of 2,321
Sep 1, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2,009 of 2,321
Testing out the SIL 994 in this config. For those wondering why I’m using extenders on the SS2590s…it’s because the pins don’t seat perfectly on the Burson input. I actually had a scare of my headphone drivers seemingly blowing out. I unplugged immediately and put in the extenders. No issues now.

Attachments

• IMG_9474.jpeg
    IMG_9474.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 1, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #2,010 of 2,321
Testing out the SIL 994 in this config. For those wondering why I’m using extenders on the SS2590s…it’s because the pins don’t seat perfectly on the Burson input. I actually had a scare of my headphone drivers seemingly blowing out. I unplugged immediately and put in the extenders. No issues now.
Looking forward to hearing your listening impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back