Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
May 23, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #2,313 of 2,327
Thanks, almost wondered if I should find another amp for more power but that is enough for the susvara.
Susvaras can scale more than with 6wpc, there are better amps. But the gt runs the susvara at least effortless, engaging and with a soundstage size enough big to smile. I have also a tooping a90 and the difference is huge. I think the gt is good enough to enjoy a lot but not an end game. But great for its price.
Another thing to consider is that it is clase A and i think this is why the gt hits so hard.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #2,314 of 2,327
Susvaras can scale more than with 6wpc, there are better amps. But the gt runs the susvara at least effortless, engaging and with a soundstage size enough big to smile. I have also a tooping a90 and the difference is huge. I think the gt is good enough to enjoy a lot but not an end game. But great for its price.
Another thing to consider is that it is clase A and i think this is why the gt hits so hard.
Just out of curiousity, what would you call a better amp than a soloist 3xr gt😉

May 23, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #2,315 of 2,327
I agree, its a pretty affordable amps compared to the end game amps. Next one I am looking for is the feliks envy but that will not be for a while.

May 23, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #2,316 of 2,327
The power has zero to to l do with it. Zero. Nothing. If you put 1mw @ 60ohm into the Susvara, it will play at 83db. I've driven them with 1500wpc and the HE6 with worse results than a $250 headphone amp. High power amps do hold together better, but you can't put even a 5 watts into them and still listen to them without blowing your eardrums out.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #2,317 of 2,327
The power has zero to to l do with it. Zero. Nothing. If you put 1mw @ 60ohm into the Susvara, it will play at 83db. I've driven them with 1500wpc and the HE6 with worse results than a $250 headphone amp. High power amps do hold together better, but you can't put even a 5 watts into them and still listen to them without blowing your eardrums out.
Did you use the speakers out? Because the power of the headphone out of an amp has nothing to see.
Anyway i respect your opinion. Mine is that power is main thing in susvaras. Hifiman made the ef1000 amp to pair it with susvaras and is 20w into 35 ohms. Once achieved the power then of course there are a lot of things about sound quality. But underpowered susvara will sound bright and congested, bass light and thin. Thats what sounds with the a90. Only the detail retrieval was good. But even in detail retrieval and clarity the gt wins by far.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,318 of 2,327
Did you use the speakers out? Because the power of the headphone out of an amp has nothing to see.
Anyway i respect your opinion. Mine is than power is main thing in susvaras. Hifiman made the ef1000 amp to pair it with susvaras and is 20w into 35 ohms. Once achieved the power then of course there are a lot of things about sound quality. But underpowered susvara will sound bright and congested, bass light and thin. Thats what sounds with the a90. Only the detail retrieval was good. But even in detail retrieval and clarity the gt wins by far.
I use a pair of Parasound A21+ to drive the HE6 and Susvara. They're rated at 1100wpc and measure in the real world at about 2000wpc. Yes, they like powerful amps but there's a fact in the way and that is that you can not feed them all of that power. It's not an opinion. I would put the pair of A21+ at like a 96/100 and the 2023 Soloist GT at 95/100. I've tried hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of amps to find things that drive them well and almost all speaker amps I tried up through around $6000 were no better than a mid-fi headphone amp. What I'm trying to get across is that power figures mean literally zero, it's much deeper than that. Damping factor is usually pathetically low on speaker amps as is channel separation. The benefit the high power speaker amps have is massive power supplies that have a far lower power droop with load than almost any headphone amp and that's great, but they almost always fall short in every other metric making the raw power irrelevant.

May 23, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #2,319 of 2,327
I use a pair of Parasound A21+ to drive the HE6 and Susvara. They're rated at 1100wpc and measure in the real world at about 2000wpc. Yes, they like powerful amps but there's a fact in the way and that is that you can not feed them all of that power. It's not an opinion. I would put the pair of A21+ at like a 96/100 and the 2023 Soloist GT at 95/100. I've tried hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of amps to find things that drive them well and almost all speaker amps I tried up through around $6000 were no better than a mid-fi headphone amp. What I'm trying to get across is that power figures mean literally zero, it's much deeper than that. Damping factor is usually pathetically low on speaker amps as is channel separation. The benefit the high power speaker amps have is massive power supplies that have a far lower power droop with load than almost any headphone amp and that's great, but they almost always fall short in every other metric making the raw power irrelevant.
Ok now i understand what you mean and i agree. I meant when i said more power, headphone amps like the ef1000 or aic-10 or primavera, not speaker amps. In fact i was going to say that the detail retrieval of the topping (the only good) you wont get it with a speakers amp.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #2,320 of 2,327
Ok now i understand what you mean and i agree. I meant when i said more power, headphone amps like the ef1000 or aic-10 or primavera, not speaker amps.
Yeah if I ever win a billion dollars I'm going to do all the measurements that actually matter with all the high end gear and figure all this stupid stuff out once and for all. Why nobody measures the important metrics, I'll never know. It sure would be nice to be able to just look at a spec sheet and know what you're in for. Unfortunately that isn't the world we live in.

May 24, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #2,322 of 2,327
Yeah if I ever win a billion dollars I'm going to do all the measurements that actually matter with all the high end gear and figure all this stupid stuff out once and for all. Why nobody measures the important metrics, I'll never know. It sure would be nice to be able to just look at a spec sheet and know what you're in for. Unfortunately that isn't the world we live in.
Even with hundred of metrics, i think the most important thing is to listen to that gear and buy it if you like it, whatever mesures. The goal is to have fun listen to the music. Im planning to leave the gt in my summer house, and in september, go to Madrid to listen to feliks envy and cayin ha300 and choose one of them. I think i would end buying the standard envy and a pair of WE 300 tubes. Its 8k€ the combo, im not still sure lol.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #2,324 of 2,327
I emailed Burson and they said 4W at 64ohms, a little lower than I expected.
I dont understand why they told you 4w
In the specs they put 4w at 100 ohms. 3,8 exactly. 8w at 32 and 3,8 at 100ohms. I figured 6 based in that info. And some more, its told that burson specs are alway less than real power. Some amps like soloist 3x got like 40% more of power than what burson declares, in reviews with mesures (asr). And in soundnews they say ferrum oor has more power in specs but it feels like the gt is more powerful.
Sorry for my english, i wish all i say could be understood 😂. I speak spanish.

Attachments

• AA6897C1-6F34-48C8-B019-1E4CDDA278FA.jpeg
    AA6897C1-6F34-48C8-B019-1E4CDDA278FA.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #2,325 of 2,327
I found another quote from soundnews in the 3x review (not the gt)
“My instincts are telling me that Soloist is a lot more powerful device than the specified 8 Watts of power…

I feel the same. I dont need more power. I need tubes maybe, but the gt runs susvara efortless. Also it depends too of the voltage out of the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back