Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #1,981 of 2,327
What are people’s thought on the electrical isolation at play when you lay those big ss2590 op amps over on the board using extensions? If that PCB is actually touching other discreets or passive chips, are we sure there is no interference?
I’ve tried putting electrical tape over the contacts but it honestly made no difference to me. What exactly is the concern?

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #1,982 of 2,327
Just out of curiousity, why most people change the opamps. I tried changing the opamp in the buffer gain stage with the orange v6 (just out of curiousity)

It was not like I did not like the full 6x vivid v6. I ended up changing it back, missing some of the lowend (loved the smooth midrange of it though)

So what does the other opamps give, does it really change a lot? Or is it still small steps? I can’t imagine anybody hating the full v6 vivid setup

I am too curious about the ss25 and 33, but it is quite expensive if bought and don’t like the setup.
This whole thread describes what you’re asking. The consensus is that the stock 6x Vivids are the least desirable setup. It’s not bad but swapping even one pair out makes a positive change.

There’s no shame in sticking with the stock op amps. I think the reason people change is because they can. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #1,983 of 2,327
Has anyone tried sticking two pairs SS2590s into the amp? I'm thinking with my new longer extensions, it may be possible.

Aug 26, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,984 of 2,327

Interesting segment on the upgradeable Silent Power modules.

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #1,985 of 2,327
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,986 of 2,327
Yep Sandu and Lachlin are my fav reviewers.Each so thorough and a fair evaluation for each product. Sandu’s written reviews on soundnews site are next level

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #1,987 of 2,327
Interesting reviews, altough Sandu is a little too much a "FOTM" guy... :beerchug:

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #1,988 of 2,327

Interesting segment on the upgradeable Silent Power modules.

Considering my 21' GT has been bone stock since the day I bought it, this new 23' version with S2 power modules and upgraded op-amps (SIL994's & S2590's) would be a noticeable step up it seems. Really tempted. If I can score a 23' GT used, think I may just take the plunge.

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #1,989 of 2,327
Has anyone tried sticking two pairs SS2590s into the amp? I'm thinking with my new longer extensions, it may be possible.
In case anyone is wondering, I've decided to NOT get an extra pair of SS2590s but instead got some SIL 994s. I want to see if I can bring out some more mid-bass extension; my current setup seems a bit lacking (albeit, my headphones aren't best at it). I'm thinking the Muzg may be the culprit. I think it's more on the clinical side with great emphasis in resolution, but at the cost of some warmth. I could be wrong. We'll see.

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #1,990 of 2,327
In case anyone is wondering, I've decided to NOT get an extra pair of SS2590s but instead got some SIL 994s. I want to see if I can bring out some more mid-bass extension; my current setup seems a bit lacking (albeit, my headphones aren't best at it). I'm thinking the Muzg may be the culprit. I think it's more on the clinical side with great emphasis in resolution, but at the cost of some warmth. I could be wrong. We'll see.
If you don't feel you get the effect from the SIL's that you are looking for, you might consider 1 pair of V6-Classic's in the voltage stage. I found a significant dose of warmth was the consequence when I made that swap and then A/B compared vs. the Vivids in the same position.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,991 of 2,327
I've made dumb decisions before. I won't hesitate to confess to another one if it comes to pass. Stay tuned.

The SP-02 modules will make your purchase worthwhile I believe. For an extra $300 of course.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #1,992 of 2,327
Went ahead and took the plunge. I was already considering the 23' Soloist after watching the recent reviews, but after seeing the promotion Burson has on their website figured why not. SP-02 power modules and 5A supercharger included free of charge for 10 units until September 1st.

Once I get my OG to sell, I'll knab some of those SIL & Sparkos op-amps that everyone loves and call it good for awhile. Should be a worthwhile upgrade over the stock OG Soloist GT.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #1,993 of 2,327
Went ahead and took the plunge. I was already considering the 23' Soloist after watching the recent reviews, but after seeing the promotion Burson has on their website figured why not. SP-02 power modules and 5A supercharger included free of charge for 10 units until September 1st.

Once I get my OG to sell, I'll knab some of those SIL & Sparkos op-amps that everyone loves and call it good for awhile. Should be a worthwhile upgrade over the stock OG Soloist GT.
100% is. I stand by the op amp swaps.

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #1,994 of 2,327
I've had enough time with my 2023 3X GT to share some thoughts. I stand by the idea that musically it is NOT an improvement in stock form over an older GT in mod'd form. I get that's not really a fair comparison, but I think it is important to firmly establish my opinion that this new amp is NOT a sea change of some sort. Now, once I dropped in all my non-Burson op-amps we got back to a level playing field of comparison. And frankly I heard the BIG step in the right direction replacing all those Vivids...which is what I experienced the first time I did it on my old 3X GT. So to be clear, the new unit benefits from op-amp swaps every bit as much as the old unit did (and I consider that very VERY substantial). You really should roll op amps to get the most out of owning a 3X GT from any year.

So now we are down to going on audio memory between two mod'd 3X GTs. Here's what I have to say: The 2023 version is definitely NOT a big jump. And in totally subjective terms, for what I feel I can perceive (and remember) it would be a bit more separation in instruments and a slightly more holographic effect to the stage. On the other hand there may be a modest step back in the lower end by a skoosh. Lachlan talked about this in his review as a "leaning" effect due to the SP modules doing their thing to clean up the power and that separation cleans up the bass, if you will. If you like ever higher levels of resolution you'd be fine with it. But I did like the warmth I had dialed in on my old 3X GT. So one thing I did after my comparisons was roll to a different set of pads I own for my VC's that warmed them up just a touch, and that felt like I was back closer to the old 3X GT on the lower end "oomph". The net effect is a little more detail and stage, a drop less weight to the bass. If I had to quantify it, I would say 3 to 5 points on a 100 point scale. But that's a "subjective" quantification and by no means makes it "better" unless you like every last drop of that.

It's possible there is still some break-in to do here as I have about 100 hours on the new unit. Time will tell what the SP2 modules bring to the experience and I am sure I will get them. Why? Because I need a 12 step program for this hobby.

I stand by my previous comment that there is a very different range in volume in my new unit. About 25 spots higher needed for the same loudness. And, I even find myself using HIGH gain now for some albums to really get the sense of drive I want. I never used HIGH gain on my old unit. Again, I see this as a positive for finer tuning of the listening experience. It's interesting that Lachlan did not mention this at all in his review. Could be my sample? Who knows. I am open to the criticism that without really matching the volume objectively (say 26 position on both units from memory), that my extra step of "finding" the comparable volume on the new unit at say 49, may inject error into the overall comparison effect.

Bottom line for me is the upgrade is sort of "meh". Perhaps the SP2's will be the bigger perceived change in the right direction, although if the sound gets even leaner then I would not be thrilled. It's possible a fresh re-do of where I am using my op-amps and in what combination could create a new eureka moment. I'll play with that next by adding back my V6 Classics at the voltage stage and see what happens. Bear in mind almost all of my listening is classic rock and country. It's possible other genres produce a more significant delta between the units that would be subjectively favorable.

Do I have buyer's remorse? No. But I don't have buyer's joy either from this change in my chain. It's subtle and it's slightly mixed in its effect.

On down the rabbit hole....

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #1,995 of 2,327
I've had enough time with my 2023 3X GT to share some thoughts. I stand by the idea that musically it is NOT an improvement in stock form over an older GT in mod'd form. I get that's not really a fair comparison, but I think it is important to firmly establish my opinion that this new amp is NOT a sea change of some sort. Now, once I dropped in all my non-Burson op-amps we got back to a level playing field of comparison. And frankly I heard the BIG step in the right direction replacing all those Vivids...which is what I experienced the first time I did it on my old 3X GT. So to be clear, the new unit benefits from op-amp swaps every bit as much as the old unit did (and I consider that very VERY substantial). You really should roll op amps to get the most out of owning a 3X GT from any year.

So now we are down to going on audio memory between two mod'd 3X GTs. Here's what I have to say: The 2023 version is definitely NOT a big jump. And in totally subjective terms, for what I feel I can perceive (and remember) it would be a bit more separation in instruments and a slightly more holographic effect to the stage. On the other hand there may be a modest step back in the lower end by a skoosh. Lachlan talked about this in his review as a "leaning" effect due to the SP modules doing their thing to clean up the power and that separation cleans up the bass, if you well. If you like ever higher levels of resolution you'd be fine with it. But I did like the warmth I had dialed in on my old 3X GT. So one thing I did after my comparisons was roll to a different set of pads I own for my VC's that warmed them up just a touch, and that felt like I was back closer to the old 3X GT on the lower end "oomph". The net effect is a little more detail and stage, a drop less weight to the bass. If I had to quantify it, I would say 3 to 5 points on a 100 point scale. But that's a "subjective" quantification and by no means makes it "better" unless you like every last drop of that.

It's possible there is still some break-in to do here as I have about 100 hours on the new unit. Time will tell what the SP2 modules bring to the experience and I am sure I will get them. Why? Because I need a 12 step program for this hobby.

I stand by my previous comment that there is a very different range in volume in my new unit. About 25 spots higher needed for the same loudness. And, I even find myself using HIGH gain now for some albums to really get the sense of drive I want. I never used HIGH gain on my old unit. Again, I see this as a positive for finer tuning of the listening experience. It's interesting that Lachlan did not mention this at all in his review. Could be my sample? Who knows. I am open to the criticism that without really matching the volume objectively (say 26 position on both units from memory), that my extra step of "finding" the comparable volume on the new unit at say 49, may inject error into the overall comparison effect.

Bottom line for me is the upgrade is sort of "meh". Perhaps the SP2's will be the bigger perceived change in the right direction, although if the sound gets even leaner then I would not be thrilled. It's possible a fresh re-do of where I am using my op-amps and in what combination could create a new eureka moment. I'll play with that next by adding back my V6 Classics at the voltage stage and see what happens. Bear in mind almost all of my listening is classic rock and country. It's possible other genres produce a more significant delta between the units that would be subjectively favorable.

Do I have buyer's remorse? No. But I don't have buyer's joy either from this change in my chain. It's subtle and it's slightly mixed in its effect.

On down the rabbit hole....
I feel like you're too honest with yourself. You should try denial once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back