Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Jul 30, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #1,966 of 2,327
Muzg has some of the same traits as Orange Duals, however everything is in HD quality, less saturation
Thanks! Helpful! I know you ordered 4 more but where did you prefer to place your one pair of Muzg? I currently have it in the voltage gain and it sounds good but want to try other configs once I get more extenders to attempt (again) to put the 2590s into the voltage.

Jul 30, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,967 of 2,327
Thanks! Helpful! I know you ordered 4 more but where did you prefer to place your one pair of Muzg? I currently have it in the voltage gain and it sounds good but want to try other configs once I get more extenders to attempt (again) to put the 2590s into the voltage.

https://muzgaudio.com/en/shop/

there is a backlog, so there's a little wait for these

Jul 30, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #1,968 of 2,327
https://muzgaudio.com/en/shop/

there is a backlog, so there's a little wait for these
Yeah, I’m aware. Last time I ordered, Konrad said they were available but that he showed backordered because he was on vacation. A week later, he shipped them out to me.

Wondering where you found the one pair of Muzg you have the best in the 3X GT?

Jul 30, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #1,970 of 2,327
Aug 7, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,971 of 2,327
PXL_20230807_132822126-removebg-preview.png
time for research 👀

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #1,972 of 2,327
Looking forward to your impressions, @sawindra!

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,973 of 2,327
Sadly, I succumbed to every temptation to sell my legacy GT and buy the 2023 GT. This hobby truly is heroin and I recommend it to no one.

That out of the way, for the rest of you junkies, my 2023 GT arrived today and will undergo my typical burn in protocol. As you can see in my signature I am no fan of Burson op amps. But for the heck of it I powered up the unit and sampled the experience at T=1 minute of ownership using all stock V6 Vivids. Subjectively, it was a step backwards and I can increasingly see why non-op amp rollers are often nonplussed right out of the box by a GT. One thing is clear, the new 2023 stock is NOT above a mod'd legacy GT. So, if you are worried it might be, it isn't.

So down the road we go. My op-amp collection is sufficiently burned in. I'll give the amp unit a solid week, and then swap out the stock V6 op amps for my op amp jewels and report back.

I fully admit this is NOT the A/B test even I called for in a previous post to determine superiority. I'll be going on audio memory. I'll do my best to be honest, and nothing else in my signal chain has changed. I did not have to spend much to do the swap so money spent won't be a biasing factor. I've made dumb decisions before. I won't hesitate to confess to another one if it comes to pass. Stay tuned.

P.S. The cooling fan sounds slightly less audible with my headphones off and me sitting 3 feet away. I never thought the fan to be a problem before. But it does seem to be a bit quieter in the 2023 model. I believe this could be due to the placement of 3 modestly sized foam strips that are attached to the inside of the lid in the 2023 unit. The legacy GT did not have them. In theory they would have some sound absorbing properties. That all said, you can still hear fan noise though for those who demand silence from a metal box.

P.S.S. The functional volume range seems to have been reset. I had to push further into Medium gain to get the sound level I expected. What was once a 18-20 setting is now 45-50. I think this is a nice positive as more useful range to a volume spin really helps the listener precisely dial in the volume level they enjoy.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,975 of 2,327
Guys, I have a question to the owners of Hypsos Ferrum - what settings do you have to run the GT?

I got one linear power supply unit for the test from a local enthusiast.
It could not start the GT. It is 24V, 5A.
Very high starting current of the GT?

Thanks.

Aug 18, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #1,976 of 2,327
Aug 19, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #1,977 of 2,327
I’ve been running the SS2250s in the volume control, SS3306s in the input buffer, and the Muzg in the voltage gain with pleasing results (good balance of warmth, stage depth, bass slam, and details).

I finally got some more extensions and was able to try some new combinations.

I initially tried the following:

Input: SS2250
Volume: SS3306
Voltage: Muzg

The tonality became much more neutral with a treble emphasis that quite frankly made the music sibilant to my ears. Stage depth seemed wider but less accurate (for example, audience noise from live music felt pushed back but less holographic…like the sound was coming from one distance but far away). This config had good attack and fast transients at the cost of musicality (it felt less engaging because the sounds were less connected). Bass slam was also deceased. While not terrible, I did not like this config.

I then switched to the following:

Input: SS3306
Volume: Muzg
Voltage: SS22509

Ironically, this is the config I tried to do but the Burson extensions are too short and made it difficult to get a proper connection in my amp, especially with the 2023’s silent power modules taking up a bunch of space. What you see in the picture are with AliEx-purchased extensions, which are much longer than the Burson.

This configuration is much more intimate with a boost in miss. The stage feeling is little narrower but more detailed with better imaging. Highs are rolled off nicely (better than the original config stated above), especially when female vocals get loud.

Compared to the one I’ve been running (first one stated above), bass sounds about equal: good slam and extension. Similarly, I think it has good balance across the board with my chain. Where it surpasses the original config is in mid details, something my HEKse needs help with. It’s very subtle to my ears but I think I like this config the best so far. I could see myself swapping between this config and the original where the Muzg and SS2250 switch places.

Attachments

• IMG_9374.jpeg
    IMG_9374.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #1,978 of 2,327
What are people’s thought on the electrical isolation at play when you lay those big ss2590 op amps over on the board using extensions? If that PCB is actually touching other discreets or passive chips, are we sure there is no interference?

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #1,979 of 2,327
I was a
What are people’s thought on the electrical isolation at play when you lay those big ss2590 op amps over on the board using extensions? If that PCB is actually touching other discreets or passive chips, are we sure there is no interference?
I was actually thinking exactly the same thing. I would have tried to isolate that a little.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #1,980 of 2,327
Just out of curiousity, why most people change the opamps. I tried changing the opamp in the buffer gain stage with the orange v6 (just out of curiousity)

It was not like I did not like the full 6x vivid v6. I ended up changing it back, missing some of the lowend (loved the smooth midrange of it though)

So what does the other opamps give, does it really change a lot? Or is it still small steps? I can’t imagine anybody hating the full v6 vivid setup

I am too curious about the ss25 and 33, but it is quite expensive if bought and don’t like the setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back