Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Jul 27, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #1,471 of 2,302
Thanks for the share, I ordered the S2590s as well. I will try both the configs you have mentioned. I haven't thought about the 994ench yet, maybe I won't need to try those if the S2590 can do the magic.
I have the 994enh-ticha’s coming. The two together is the secret sauce to next level sound. As good as the SS2590’s are right now in the 3X GT alone I expect another boost in performance when the 994enh-ticha’s get inserted. I’ll play around with the various buffer positions to see which one I prefer. I do believe it’s combination of the two op-amps that everyone seems to be enjoying.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #1,474 of 2,302
NM. Found it lol

Carefully cut the red zipties securing the V6 Vivids you want to replace, I would recommend you keep one pair of V6 Vivids in the Voltage Gain area,

When replacing op amps remember to place the op amps in the correct position and stage (see the Burson manual for a rundown of the op amp stage areas).
Pretty much every op amp manufacturer will put an indicator on one side of the op amp which will let you know that this is the side to match with the DIP8 sockets (which also has an marked and indicated side).

Also when you are testing the op amps and comparing them, remember to put the chassis cover on first, otherwise the amp won't turn on.

Obviously, unplug the A/C power from the amp before you open the chassis cover and mess with the internals.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #1,475 of 2,302
Carefully cut the red zipties securing the V6 Vivids you want to replace, I would recommend you keep one pair of V6 Vivids in the Voltage Gain area,

When replacing op amps remember to place the op amps in the correct position and stage (see the Burson manual for a rundown of the op amp stage areas).
Pretty much every op amp manufacturer will put an indicator on one side of the op amp which will let you know that this is the side to match with the DIP8 sockets (which also has an marked and indicated side).

Also when you are testing the op amps and comparing them, remember to put the chassis cover on first, otherwise the amp won't turn on.

Obviously, unplug the A/C power from the amp before you open the chassis cover and mess with the internals.
Absolutely! Thanks for the reminder. You guys rock!

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #1,477 of 2,302
6 * Staccato OSH-DHb... someone make it happen lol

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #1,478 of 2,302
6 * Staccato OSH-DHb... someone make it happen lol

I tried that op amp with the Sparkos and SIL but the results weren't that special, I was hoping someone would discover a good combination with the Staccatos.

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #1,479 of 2,302
It’s on my short list. The subwoofer out is an interesting option.

Jul 30, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #1,481 of 2,302
How did it compare to the THR-1?
I have the Kinki & will be getting the GT soon, the THR-1 is a bit of a hidden gem amongst head amps. I really like it.
1. Treble : Kinki is brighter, GT has smoother and refined edges.
2. Midrange : GT is smoother, same detail & resolution.
3. Bass : kinki a little bit tighter, same quantity.
4. Staging : GT wider and more hologaphic.
6. Noise : no noise audible from both amps.

Both have weakness in volume pot. With Kinki, I can't listen more than 10 o'clock with Atrium, on the other hand I have to turn 2-3 x 360° to reach my listening level with GT.

Which one I prefer? I choose GT because of my music taste : jazz vocal, sax, guitar, piano and classical.

Having said that, Kinki also a good value amp for $1200.

Jul 30, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #1,482 of 2,302
1. Treble : Kinki is brighter, GT has smoother and refined edges.
2. Midrange : GT is smoother, same detail & resolution.
3. Bass : kinki a little bit tighter, same quantity.
4. Staging : GT wider and more hologaphic.
6. Noise : no noise audible from both amps.

Both have weakness in volume pot. With Kinki, I can't listen more than 10 o'clock with Atrium, on the other hand I have to turn 2-3 x 360° to reach my listening level with GT.

Which one I prefer? I choose GT because of my music taste : jazz vocal, sax, guitar, piano and classical.

Having said that, Kinki also a good value amp for $1200.
Thank you for this, much appreciated.

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #1,483 of 2,302
Happy Saturday folks. As much as I enjoy the GT with V6 Vivid opamps, at time I feel it is a bit too bright. If I would only to replace one pair, which one should I go with to warm it up: V6 Classic, Sparkos 3602 or 2590, SIL994. Meze Empyrean get use most of the time and I also have Focal Stellia. Appreciate for any advice or feedback. I am poor so I can't afford to swap out all 3 stages LOL.

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #1,484 of 2,302
Happy Saturday folks. As much as I enjoy the GT with V6 Vivid opamps, at time I feel it is a bit too bright. If I would only to replace one pair, which one should I go with to warm it up: V6 Classic, Sparkos 3602 or 2590, SIL994. Meze Empyrean get use most of the time and I also have Focal Stellia. Appreciate for any advice or feedback. I am poor so I can't afford to swap out all 3 stages LOL.
A pair of Classics in the Volume Stage will do the trick. I had the very same initial impression of brightness. One pair of Classics rounded off the sharpness.

I have found the other brands/models of op-amps are more about making changes to the sonics in other areas (SILs for example in the lower end).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back