Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Jul 31, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #1,487 of 2,327
Got some TH900mk2s, what do people recommend I swap the Op amps out with, and what effects would they have? I love me some juicy base, Is there a guide on a lot of these op amps somewhere maybe?
@lightoflight created a great comparison/op-amp configuration chart here. Check it out to get started. It’s very detailed.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #1,489 of 2,327
Superb! I'll need to start grabbing some of those extensions it looks like so I can fit the op-amps, they be pretty fat
Yep, depending on which configuration you settle on you’ll need them.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #1,490 of 2,327
While listening to the GT with my HE1000se, I find myself enjoying the distortion of the high gain mode with op-amps configuration A. The bass thump in high gain is outstanding too. Moreover, I definitely got my EQ settings right on the spot after countless days of adjusting. :relaxed: Now, if this summer heat would go away, I can do more listening with the GT.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #1,491 of 2,327
While listening to the GT with my HE1000se, I find myself enjoying the distortion of the high gain mode with op-amps configuration A. The bass thump in high gain is outstanding too. Moreover, I definitely got my EQ settings right on the spot after countless days of adjusting. :relaxed: Now, if this summer heat would go away, I can do more listening with the GT.
You don’t think that there’s too much power? On medium gain with my HEKse I can barely get to 30 on the volume dial without GT blasting my ears.

My SIL 994’s are in route, but I like configuration A myself. Most of my headphones have great soundstage already. So I’m looking for more bass and dynamics. Having the SS2590’s in the Volume Control Buffer gives me that.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #1,492 of 2,327
You don’t think that there’s too much power? On medium gain with my HEKse I can barely get to 30 on the volume dial without GT blasting my ears.

My SIL 994’s are in route, but I like configuration A myself. Most of my headphones have great soundstage already. So I’m looking for more bass and dynamics. Having the SS2590’s in the Volume Control Buffer gives me that.

Oh yeah, it's a lot of power but I like the sound. On high gain with the HE1000se, I listen at 80 dB at 22 digits on the volume dial. I'm also using EQ with -15 dB preamp.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #1,493 of 2,327
Finally got my SIL 994’s in. I inserted them into the Input Buffer with the SS2590's in the Volume Control Buffer. First impressions were too much bass. The bass dominated the sound with my Solitaire P's. So I switched them around and put the SIL 994’s in the Volume Control Buffer and SS2590's Input Buffer. The sound is much better balanced with incredible resolution and snappy transients. The soundstage got wider and the air is back in the sound. Bass is fast and tight with very good impact.

Like so many others, I think I'm going to settle on this configuration as it provides the most detail, speed, clarity, staging, resolution, and bass response with impact. This configuration also works very well with all of my headphones.

Aug 10, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,494 of 2,327
Hello!

About to become a BAS 3X GT + SC 5A PS owner. Trading in my a90/d90mqa stack + focal clears towards getting them. Also, trading in my sundaras to Hifiman for credit towards HE1kSE. My setup for the past year has been the stack listed above with the Focal Clears + Senny HD800S. I debated just saving for the susvaras and being at or certainly close as hell to endgame (I hope!), but hifiman customer service offered me a solid value for the trade in towards the HE1kSE. I figure I'll enjoy them and my HD800S while upgrading my setup to higher end amp/dac/ddc stack + the HE1KSE. Perhaps in the future I'll request to trade up for the Susvara.

I'm still going through this thread, so I apologize if someone has answered this particular dilemma. I'm currently at the "clean" power aspect of the amp/setup. Prior to this, I was just going to connect the setup to a surge protector I have that also has my PC + myriad of other components attached to it. Alas, I arrived at power conditioners. My question is if having an electrician come to my house to add an outlet that would solely power my audio gear would be better than investing into a power conditioner. Would I still need the power conditioner or be better off doing both? The more I read into this thread the more I feel my end game setup requires an additional component to ensure the optimal conditions for it to thrive.

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #1,495 of 2,327
Both Abyss and PS Audio say plugging directly into the wall is best in most cases. The added resistance that comes from conditioners often does not "clean up" the signal but strips it bare. A regenerator would be ideal.

Just paraphrasing what Paul said.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #1,496 of 2,327
After having gone through several power hygiene products I agree that some of them aren’t very good when connected to a highly resolving system. But the good ones have been fantastic. Plixir and Shunyata Hydra (the latter being a passive conditioner) have been audibly great with my chain (TT2 - GT - Susvara/TC).

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #1,497 of 2,327
Hello!

About to become a BAS 3X GT + SC 5A PS owner. Trading in my a90/d90mqa stack + focal clears towards getting them. Also, trading in my sundaras to Hifiman for credit towards HE1kSE. My setup for the past year has been the stack listed above with the Focal Clears + Senny HD800S. I debated just saving for the susvaras and being at or certainly close as hell to endgame (I hope!), but hifiman customer service offered me a solid value for the trade in towards the HE1kSE. I figure I'll enjoy them and my HD800S while upgrading my setup to higher end amp/dac/ddc stack + the HE1KSE. Perhaps in the future I'll request to trade up for the Susvara.

I'm still going through this thread, so I apologize if someone has answered this particular dilemma. I'm currently at the "clean" power aspect of the amp/setup. Prior to this, I was just going to connect the setup to a surge protector I have that also has my PC + myriad of other components attached to it. Alas, I arrived at power conditioners. My question is if having an electrician come to my house to add an outlet that would solely power my audio gear would be better than investing into a power conditioner. Would I still need the power conditioner or be better off doing both? The more I read into this thread the more I feel my end game setup requires an additional component to ensure the optimal conditions for it to thrive.
I have dedicated power line for my audio gears, and still I use Isotek Evo3 Aquarius for digital source. It gives you blacker background, better separation, cleaner treble, deeper and bigger staging image. Yes, for power amp or pre amp, I use Furutech power strip plugged to its non filtered outlets.

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #1,498 of 2,327
Considering you are getting your power line upgraded at home, I think it is a good idea to have a seperate line for your audio equipment. I would not get into the power conditioner debate till you get your audio chain set up, that is a deep rabbit hole.

I went from the HE1000V2 to the HekSE and now the Susvara. Best wishes on your journey, it is a fun adventure, there is no destination, the journey is what matters 😉

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #1,499 of 2,327
I have dedicated power line for my audio gears, and still I use Isotek Evo3 Aquarius for digital source. It gives you blacker background, better separation, cleaner treble, deeper and bigger staging image. Yes, for power amp or pre amp, I use Furutech power strip plugged to its non filtered outlets.
I need to contact local electricians and see how much they'd charge me to run a new line specifically to be used by my audio gear. I figure if it's too pricey I may just put that $ towards a decent power conditioner. But as stated above, I should definitely focus on solidifying my audio chain first and then focus on other things to clean up the signal. I'm sure the audio chain upgrade will be a far greater SQ improvement than interconnect cable upgrades + clean power improvements. 1 step at a time :)

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #1,500 of 2,327
I need to contact local electricians and see how much they'd charge me to run a new line specifically to be used by my audio gear. I figure if it's too pricey I may just put that $ towards a decent power conditioner. But as stated above, I should definitely focus on solidifying my audio chain first and then focus on other things to clean up the signal. I'm sure the audio chain upgrade will be a far greater SQ improvement than interconnect cable upgrades + clean power improvements. 1 step at a time :)
I don't see any source components in your signature, I assume you're using your "normal" PC as player/streamer, right?
My advice, buy a DDC to clean up your USB out to DAC. It will significantly improve SQ. Some DDC that have good reviews are from Denafrips, AudioGD and also Singxer.👌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back