Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Jul 7, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #1,441 of 2,327
I've been messing around with the op-amp configs. I now have:
Voltage gain: V6 Vivid
Input buffer: dual SS2590s
Volume control: V6 Vivid (replacing SIL994)

I honestly cannot tell the difference between having 994s vs Vivids in volume control, when swapping back and forth. What do others think about the 994 signature? What is it really bringing?

The dual SS2590s seem to make the stronger impression than the 994, a bit more bass quantity and more forward mids, but yes the bump in mids resolution is a nice bonus.

Something else I have realized is that the stock tuning with the V6 vivids sounds shockingly similar to the straight out the Hugo TT2 rear XLR ( especially in the bass). I agree with Lachlan from Passion for sound that they are much more similar than different. In my experience, the soloist GT conveys a noticeably wider stage, a slight dryness in the mids and a very miniscule loss of overall cohesiveness, in comparison.

That's the configuration I've settled on too. The 994s are known to boost dynamics and bass impact a bit, when coupled with the SS2590s get a plentiful mix of clarity and dynamics. With the V6 Vivids in Voltage Gain, you get a more spacious soundstage.

The Voltage Gain stage seems to be the most sensitive compared to the other stages so something "vivid" and warm sounding should stay in that stage.

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,442 of 2,327
Configuration: A
  • Input: 994
  • Volume: SS2590
  • Voltage: Vivid
Configuration: B
  • Input: SS2590
  • Volume: 994

I finally made an op-amp configuration change to Config. B after listening to Config. A for a couple of months now. I will be evaluating Config. B compared to Config. A here with the Pontus II and HE1000se.

Configuration B has an increase in the lower mid-range frequencies that produces a warm presentation while pulling back the treble range. Tracks that is airy, clear and defined imaging with Config. A is missing here with Config. B. My perception is that it blunted the sound appearance. Furthermore, the quantity of the low frequencies remained the same with a slight elevation in the 100 - 200 Hz, although it is less detailed throughout the whole low frequency range. Basslines with kick drums are bolder but lack the sonic texture and separation I hear with Config. A. In addition, the soundstage width became a touch smaller and stage depth shifted to an intimate setting, and it was a challenge to discern the instrument depth with Config. B.

It was interesting to hear Configuration B, it was not what I have expected and will be moving back to Config. A.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #1,443 of 2,327

I finally made an op-amp configuration change to Config. B after listening to Config. A for a couple of months now. I will be evaluating Config. B compared to Config. A here with the Pontus II and HE1000se.

Configuration B has an increase in the lower mid-range frequencies that produces a warm presentation while pulling back the treble range. Tracks that is airy, clear and defined imaging with Config. A is missing here with Config. B. My perception is that it blunted the sound appearance. Furthermore, the quantity of the low frequencies remained the same with a slight elevation in the 100 - 200 Hz, although it is less detailed throughout the whole low frequency range. Basslines with kick drums are bolder but lacks the sonic texture and separation I hear with Config. A. In addition, the soundstage width became a touch smaller and stage depth shifted to an intimate setting, and it was a challenge to discern the instrument depth with Config. B.

It was interesting to hear Configuration B, it was not what I have expected and will be moving back to Config. A.

Great! Thanks for the comparisons and analysis (this takes a while I would imagine).
I hear similar things that you are hearing but on the Verite and Gustard X26 Pro, I would definitely stick with Configuration B, the speed, resolution and tonal balance is just too amazing to ignore on the Verite combination.

Jul 7, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #1,444 of 2,327

Configuration B has an increase in the lower mid-range frequencies that produces a warm presentation while pulling back the treble range. Tracks that is airy, clear and defined imaging with Config. A is missing here with Config. B. My perception is that it blunted the sound appearance. Furthermore, the quantity of the low frequencies remained the same with a slight elevation in the 100 - 200 Hz, although it is less detailed throughout the whole low frequency range. Basslines with kick drums are bolder but lacks the sonic texture and separation I hear with Config. A. In addition, the soundstage width became a touch smaller and stage depth shifted to an intimate setting, and it was a challenge to discern the instrument depth with Config. B.

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm going to spend some more time with config. A and see if it fits my tastes better.

Config B sounds better with my Verite (improves the recessed mids greatly and adds depth to the holography), but not as much with my Stealth (reduced width and slightly shouty vocals).

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,445 of 2,327
I got some dip8 extenders and tried some different placements. Broke one within 10 minutes of opening it.

Guess who's buying another extender :V Sucky part is they take like 3 weeks to get here.

I had the 994 in the voltage gain and wanted to put the 2590s in the input buffer, but with the extender busted it has to go to the volume stage. I like what I'm hearing though. I never had a good experience with the TC's imaging until now...probably placebo :V

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #1,446 of 2,327
Anyone else hearing improved imaging with:
Voltage: 994
Input: Vivid
Volume: 2590
?

I say put your best OP amp at voltage since, like DAP said, that seems to be the most sensitive place as things get passed down to the next stages.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #1,447 of 2,327
Anyone else hearing improved imaging with:
Voltage: 994
Input: Vivid
Volume: 2590
?

I say put your best OP amp at voltage since, like DAP said, that seems to be the most sensitive place as things get passed down to the next stages.
It's hard to replace the Vivids at voltage gain. The spaciousness it conveys is what I love most about this amp

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #1,448 of 2,327
I can see that. I'm more on the side of resolution, layering/separation, and imaging. Those traits are simply greater with the 994s here if you're into this presentation. More experimentation is due though, I'm sure.

All our tastes are different. I was actually unsatisfied with the GT before this swap, but I'm glad you like it.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #1,449 of 2,327
Hey guys have a question, when the Volume Control/Buffer Stage op amp was replaced, do you notice a slight tick noise when move the volume from 19/20 and then maybe around 30? If I leave the Vivid op amp there I don't hear this issue.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #1,450 of 2,327
Hey guys have a question, when the Volume Control/Buffer Stage op amp was replaced, do you notice a slight tick noise when move the volume from 19/20 and then maybe around 30? If I leave the Vivid op amp there I don't hear this issue.

Nope, volume changes are smooth with the exception of a very very teeny bit of added hiss when you get to 40 and above.
Please make sure the op amps you are replacing the Vivids with are inserted all the way in and firmly. Also please make sure they're in the correct orientation and position for the Volume Control Buffer Stage.

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #1,451 of 2,327
Nope, volume changes are smooth with the exception of a very very teeny bit of added hiss when you get to 40 and above.
Please make sure the op amps you are replacing the Vivids with are inserted all the way in and firmly. Also please make sure they're in the correct orientation and position for the Volume Control Buffer Stage.
Appreciate the response. Yea I have made sure they have been inserted and in the correct orientation so I know that isn't the issue. If I go back to the Vivids the issue goes away like I said. So not sure why this is a problem I am having. I have tried Sparkos SS3602, SIL 994s and the Sparkos SS2590s and I always end up hearing the slight tick when turning up the volume. It just raises a concern to the point where I end up going back and just leaving the Vivids in the Volume Control/Buffer Stage just so I don't have to worry about a bigger problem that might occur.

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,452 of 2,327
Appreciate the response. Yea I have made sure they have been inserted and in the correct orientation so I know that isn't the issue. If I go back to the Vivids the issue goes away like I said. So not sure why this is a problem I am having. I have tried Sparkos SS3602, SIL 994s and the Sparkos SS2590s and I always end up hearing the slight tick when turning up the volume. It just raises a concern to the point where I end up going back and just leaving the Vivids in the Volume Control/Buffer Stage just so I don't have to worry about a bigger problem that might occur.

Strange, try using those 2 small dip8 extender pieces that came with your 994s for whatever op amp you're putting in the Volume Control Buffer Stage and see if that eliminates the clicking sound.

Another thing you can try is to use a compressed air or a manual handheld air pump to clean out the socket in the Volume Control stage reciever sockets to ensure there is no dust or any kind of blockage there.

Jul 13, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #1,453 of 2,327
Strange, try using those 2 small dip8 extender pieces that came with your 994s for whatever op amp you're putting in the Volume Control Buffer Stage and see if that eliminates the clicking sound.

Another thing you can try is to use a compressed air or a manual handheld air pump to clean out the socket in the Volume Control stage reciever sockets to ensure there is no dust or any kind of blockage there.
Yea I will give both ideas a try and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #1,454 of 2,327
Dropped in a pair of 2590s into the Volume stage. Have 10 hours on them. With the 994s in the Input stage, I think something magical is happening.

Good lwardy that config sounds good. Bless the wisdom and experimentation of this forum!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #1,455 of 2,327
Dropped in a pair of 2590s into the Volume stage. Have 10 hours on them. With the 994s in the Input stage, I think something magical is happening.

Good lwardy that config sounds good. Bless the wisdom and experimentation of this forum!
Oh yeah, let us know what you think after 50 hours of burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back