Burson HA160 + Senn HD650 = a great match?? other amps that going well with HD650 are also welcomed
Oct 4, 2010 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

melville

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

As you see I'm still a newbie, need some helps & English is not my mother language, please pardon me beforehand.

I have Sennheiser HD650 and looking for a good(great) amp that synergize well with HD650.

I got my eyes on Burson HA160, anybody out there got experience with this amp? Particularly in used with the Sennheiser HD650. Please share your impressions and experience.

I mainly listen to pop, rock, and RnB such as Bon Jovi, Green Day, Muse, Linkin Park, Black Eyed Peas (yeah I'm still a teenager).
Does Burson have enough power, impacts, and speed for my musical taste? 

Do you guys think Burson is a bright amp and boost the treble of HD650? Does it solve/lift the HD650's veil and darkness?
Do you think it's forward sounding amp and will alter HD650's laidback?

Sell my HD650 and change into another cans is unfortunately not an option.

Thanks so much, I hope you guys able to help me. Any comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. Other amps recommendations are also welcomed and please stated your impressions.

Cheers,
Alex

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 22
Oct 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 22

Quote:
No need to sell the senn. HD650. : ) if it sounds bad now its because you haven't got the right amp yet. The HA-160 was designed specially for the HD650...

QFT

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 22
Hi Grokit.

As for QFT :

In a recent email I got from Burson Audio (in response to a question I had about the stepped volume) :

" . . . and you will find the step attenuator perfect for the HD-650 as we have initially designed the HA-160 to match it."

. . . as for the OP's question of HD650 with Burson combo . . .

I also own HD650's and I have a Burson HA160D dac/headphone/pre-amp on the way to me for next week!   YAY!
I will let you know how it goes.

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 22
I have a NuForce HDP and I find it to be a great match with the Senn HD650.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
I have a NuForce HDP and I find it to be a great match with the Senn HD650.

Same here.  I think there is very good synergy between them plus the HDP includes a high quality (according to reviews) DAC+HPAmp+pre-amp in a nice small desktop unit, so it's also a very good value considering all that you get.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 22
my HD 650 sounds good with my HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC. may be on the pricier side compared to others, but it's sounding great. also offers crossfeed and 2 different filters to increase treble if needed. i use the crossfeed along with brightness filter 1.

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 22
Ok . .. so just got the HA160D home on loan . . .it has done about 30 hours of use before I received it, so has had some time to start to break in.
I am only going to give initial impressions so far . . .more detail in the coming weeks . . . 

Firstly, as a headphone amp via USB from computer -

wow . . .excellent tone, detail and sound stage that is rock solid and stable
. . . gain on volume is fine too, no probs there (I was a little skeptical about a 24 step volume . . but it has so far not been an issue)

Quickly as a DAC via SPDIF coax into my hifi rig . . . .. 

wow . . . absolutely first class soundstaging makes your jaw drop (I have a Sony CDPXA5ES c.d player as the transport)
there simply is sound hanging in the air in a solid, palpable sense of live anticipation and realism.

So far I am very impressed, this sounds far better with my Senn HD650's than the Lehmann Black Cube, 
the DAC section seems so far to sound better on my HiFi rig than either the Musical Fidelity V-DAC or Cambridge Audio DACmagic.

As a USB DAC/Pre-AMp for my active studio Monitors (Dynaudio), again, the Burson continues to impress the hell out of me with its solid, robust but flowing organic control of the sound - and it's massively natural effortless solid sound staging abilities.

***** The Burson HA160D definitely does 24bit 96khz over USB *****

(in my Sony VAIO Windows PC set up using Sony Sound Forge or Sony Acid Pro as playback programs)

I must go and listen to some more music now !!!

More to come . . . 

May 3, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 22
I use Little Dot MKIII to power my HD650. So far I can say it is warm sound. But not so impressive actually, even I used some new tubes.

May 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 22
I run my hd650 through a lafigaro 332s it was an upgrade from the ld mk III. Lafigaro designed the 332s with the hd650 and the synergy is great it drives the hd650 with plenty of power in reserve. With power comes detail and clarity a much stronger fuller sound than the mkIII. With tubes comes warmth and character. I would definitely recommend tubes over solid state for the hd650.

May 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 22
Hello guys,

As you see I'm still a newbie, need some helps & English is not my mother language, please pardon me beforehand.

I have Sennheiser HD650 and looking for a good(great) amp that synergize well with HD650.

I got my eyes on Burson HA160, anybody out there got experience with this amp? Particularly in used with the Sennheiser HD650. Please share your impressions and experience.

I mainly listen to pop, rock, and RnB such as Bon Jovi, Green Day, Muse, Linkin Park, Black Eyed Peas (yeah I'm still a teenager).
Does Burson have enough power, impacts, and speed for my musical taste? 

Do you guys think Burson is a bright amp and boost the treble of HD650? Does it solve/lift the HD650's veil and darkness?

Sell my HD650 and change into another cans is unfortunately not an option.

Thanks so much, I hope you guys able to help me. Any comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. Other amps recommendations are also welcomed and please stated your impressions.

Cheers,
Alex

Hello melville.

The Burson is more than capable of driving the HD 650s to their full potential. I did not find it too bright or forward-sounding. As far as my ears can hear the pairing seems quite neutral. The HD 650s properly driven are a completely different beast than unamped.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:

I would like to know this as well (as I hear the Sennheisers are kinda slow and dull with lesser amps).
Does it make the HD 650's fast enough to work wonders with electronic music genres like goa trance and dark psytrance?
And how is the neutrality with this pairing?

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 22
I read in the 6 moons review of the Burson that the HA160 was voiced specifically with/for the HD650 if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back