Burson HA-100: When the "king" of discrete touches headphone.....
Jan 26, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
op-amps used in Stello HP100 are discrete
those are TL071CP - LOW-NOISE JFET-INPUT op-amps. So these are used for input, output is pure A Class discrete design.

I think Maza and I can exhale now. Can you tell us why using them on the input stage is ok?

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

op-amps used in Stello HP100 are discrete
those are TL071CP - LOW-NOISE JFET-INPUT op-amps. So these are used for input, output is pure A Class discrete design.

tadaaa - disaster in faith averted!!!

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #18 of 34
*holding up exhale*

Yeah, why its okay to use opamps in the input stage, or why they are used in there in the first place? I thought fully discrete have no opamps in the signal path?

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 34
GS-1 uses basicaly same op-amps
http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gs1...module_med.jpg
and it is discrete too
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #21 of 34
Is the price tag of the Burson affected by being manufactured in Australia?

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #22 of 34
Man, something is wrong for being "class A discrete design" and "full discrete class A".

Discrete design = It can be IC following discrete curcuit design
Full discrete = It's IC free and no such trivial for all circuit stuff in one small box. (Burson opamp is full-discrete having no IC in his module)

HP100 is not IC free. It uses discrete design principles using opamp while it claims for full discrete class A which is in preamp part.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I didn't mean to make hp100 fellow feel wrong with this product but truth must be told and cleared.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #24 of 34
I hope this thread can escape from "should or shouldn't" discussion. I don't want to see this topic misled to believer war.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #25 of 34
Yeah, I just want another HA-100 on ebay at 750AUD!!!!! who cares about the opamps. And if it's terrible I can just upgrade to a rudistor and sell the HA-100 on here for 1100AUDinc shipping
tongue.gif

Got to say at the level of Slee solo SRG, NPX-03, Stello HP100 and HA-100 which all clock in at high prices I'm sure the sound is stellar whichever amp, the degree of stellar is just in the subtle nuance.

It's at the price levels of Slee novo and Corda arietta (which are both apparently amazing) that care has to be taken. Not every £200 amp is as safe a bet as the higher priced ones....perhaps that's because nobody will admit that £350+ on a home amp was a wasted purchase in case they decide to sell in the FS thread...
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even the GS-1 has opamps though - but i think that is for DC input - we're sure these are for the headphone out?

Damn bastards!!!

Thankfully I'm not the only one who is interested in seeing what the fuss is about with fully discrete.

Quote:

GS-1 uses basicaly same op-amps
http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gs1...module_med.jpg
and it is discrete too
wink.gif

The opamps you see in a GS-1 (or GS-X) are for the DC servo only. They are not in the audio path (they only ensure that the outputs remain at 0Vdc).

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #30 of 34
Those same ones are in the headamp GS-1, and they're not part of the normal amplification circuitry, they're for some other purpose.

Edit: Ti Kan says: The opamp in the dynalo and dynahi are used for DC servo. It has no effect in the audio band.

Those are the TL ones you see on the board. It's entirely discrete, believe me.

Edit: Beaten to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back