Burson HA-100: When the "king" of discrete touches headphone.....
Jan 25, 2009 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

WindowsX

Member of the Trade: Fidelizer Audio
In case you guys didn't notice, I'm posting this as new thread so it can contain more information

What is Burson? They produced world's best discrete opamp and I witnessed cheaper Audio-GD's discrete opamp for its goodness. If you guys remember Stello HP100 quite well, they claimed they use full-discrete class A but that's only for preamp not headphone. They use IC discrete opamp which is not full discrete like Burson or Audio-GD. Too bad, I didn't find this amp much promising for $600 price range and now it's increased to $1k.....

Now the most promosing discrete company making headphone amplifier. This product is just introduced in this month so not many people would know this item or even its company for headphone amplifier field. I'll try to put hilights from his website so you guys don't need to read all stuff and organize its information below:

Hilights
-employs an advance discrete power supply and power filtration network
-the Burson opamp technology has been channelled into a head phone amplifier
-completely free of ICs (integrated Circuitries)
-built with a differential input stage
-no decoupling capacitor on its signal path
-Powered by 2 pairs of top quality Toshiba transistors delivering up to 700mW of driving power into 300ohm!
-The entire head amp is configured in Class-A operation to remove any cross over distortion that may otherwise occur..

You can find more information here HA-100 Head Amp They're selling it for $1,150AUD (About $760USD)

They offered introductionary price in eBay in Burson HA-100 Headphone amp suit Sennheiser AKG SONY - eBay Other Amplifiers, Amplifiers, Audio, Electronics. (end time 26-Jan-09 02:32:28 AEDST)

Specifications
Input impedance: 47 KOhms
Frequency response: 5Hz (-0.3dB) to 35 kHz (-1dB)
Signal to noise ratio: >98dB at 0dB gain
THD: <0.001% at 6mW/300 Ohms
Channel separation: >70dB/10kHz
Output power: 650mW/300 Ohms, 800mW/60 Ohms
Output impedance: line out 60 Ohms, phones out 5 Ohms
Power dissipation: <10W, internal, regulated power supply
Dimensions: 280 x 110 x 44mm3 (case only)
Connectors (audio): Neutrik phone jacks 6.35mm
- 1x parallel to line out
- 1x line out muting
- gold plated RCA connectors with Teflon isolation
Weight: app. 3 kg
Colour: silver anodized aluminium

I hope this time it'll be something better than my last ones for discrete headphone amplifier.

wp428be06f_02.jpg

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 34
FYI: Burson discrete opamp alone sells for over $100

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 34
lol, now I understand where you're coming on from your post in my thread
smily_headphones1.gif

It does look beautiful if a bit pricey.
thanks for the info on the stello though. I'm quite disappointed in the marketing there.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

If you guys remember Stello HP100 quite well, they claimed they use full-discrete class A but that's only for preamp not headphone. They use AD opamp which is IC opamp not discrete.

WHAT THE ****!? Oh my god, you are correct. I just opened up my HP100 to check this and there are two TL071CP opamps at the headphone output.

What the hell is up with companies lying about their products? First CIAudio having vague descriptions that sort of mislead people think that their headamp isnt exactly opamp based. But now Stello too.

Now, I have nothing against opamp and know very well opamp amplifiers can be extremely good and high end, where discretes design is no way indication of quality. Good discrete designs also tend to cost a lot compared to opamp ones with somewhat equal specs.

However, I had an intention on building full discrete system with no opamps and thats why I ditched VHP2 and bought HP100, and was going to accompany it with DA100 that also has (supposedly) discrete output. I feel so bulls***ted now...
mad.gif
Guess if I will ever buy DA100. Great job stello...

*resigned sigh*

*edit* I wonder if those burson opamps can be used to remedy this situation. Too bad stellos opamps are soldered and while I can solder, I am not so certain I can make good solders in that cramped place.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAT THE ****!? Oh my god, you are correct. I just opened up my HP100 to check this and there are two TL071CP opamps at the headphone output.

What the hell is up with companies lying about their products? First CIAudio having vague descriptions that sort of mislead people think that their headamp isnt exactly opamp based. But now Stello too.

Now, I have nothing against opamp and know very well opamp amplifiers can be extremely good and high end, where discretes design is no way indication of quality. Good discrete designs also tend to cost a lot compared to opamp ones with somewhat equal specs.

However, I had an intention on building full discrete system with no opamps and thats why I ditched VHP2 and bought HP100, and was going to accompany it with DA100 that also has (supposedly) discrete output. I feel so bulls***ted now...
mad.gif
Guess if I will ever buy DA100. Great job stello...

*resigned sigh*

*edit* I wonder if those burson opamps can be used to remedy this situation. Too bad stellos opamps are soldered and while I can solder, I am not so certain I can make good solders in that cramped place.

Can you take some close-ups so we can have a look? I would like to see what they call discrete.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you take some close-ups so we can have a look? I would like to see what they call discrete.

I just closed it, but for you I open it up again. Stay tuned...

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 34
Here they are. Overall picture, picture of the preamp out, picture of the headphone out with two different lighting, and finally macropicture of those two... things...

Overall
HP100001.jpg

Preamp
HP100002.jpg

Headamp
HP100003.jpg

HP100004.jpg

And finally

HP100005.jpg

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 34
Thanks Maza, I see some op-amps in my DA100 Signature too. FMWR Looks like HotRodAudio Mods can add or sell you drop in Burson replacements for the TL07. I sent him an E-mail, I will let you know what he says.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 34
Even the GS-1 has opamps though - but i think that is for DC input - we're sure these are for the headphone out?

Damn bastards!!!

Thankfully I'm not the only one who is interested in seeing what the fuss is about with fully discrete.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even the GS-1 has opamps though - but i think that is for DC input - we're sure these are for the headphone out?

Damn bastards!!!

Thankfully I'm not the only one who is interested in seeing what the fuss is about with fully discrete.

True. I wonder if those opamps on HP100 are on output path? Cant say as I cant really read circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back