Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Aug 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #827 of 1,995
Quote:
I just paid for JRiver last week. They've just sent me an email to say that I can now download JRiver 19 free of charge. Don't know if I want to as it might mess up everything I have in place.

It wont.  The only thing that pissed me off was I had to re analyze my entire library, because of the new way they do the replay gain or something.  Took two days,,

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #828 of 1,995
Just a note to everyone that I just tested out the SL1793 DAC PCB for use with the Conductor and the results were excellent.  It's detailed but not quite as much, specifically with transients, as the SABRE32 PCB. It's very smooth, musical, non-fatiguing and analog like.  It's an alternative for those of you who feel the ESS SABRE32 chip is too analytical and depending on your source and source material could be more pleasurable.  It's very easy to swap out.  Just remove the top cover, remove the four screws securing the DAC PCB and lift the PCB straight up and out.  Just reverse the order to put either board back in.  Just make sure the unit is powered off before doing any of the swapping. 
beyersmile.png

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #829 of 1,995
Just received my Hydra X and connected it to the Conductor. However, every audio source I play, the conductor makes a clicking sound from the unit. This can in some cases skip the first few seconds of whatever is playing. Is there any fix to stop the conductor from clicking?

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #830 of 1,995
Just received my Hydra X and connected it to the Conductor. However, every audio source I play, the conductor makes a clicking sound from the unit. This can in some cases skip the first few seconds of whatever is playing. Is there any fix to stop the conductor from clicking?

Unfortunately no. I get the same clicking too but no skipping.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #831 of 1,995
Just received my unit. Zero burn in and listening at the moment. I can already hear distinct superiority to the NFB10SE I run on balanced. Can't wait to hear this baby after 100-200 hours of burn in

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #832 of 1,995
Quote:
Just a note to everyone that I just tested out the SL1793 DAC PCB for use with the Conductor and the results were excellent.  It's detailed but not quite as much, specifically with transients, as the SABRE32 PCB. It's very smooth, musical, non-fatiguing and analog like.  It's an alternative for those of you who feel the ESS SABRE32 chip is too analytical and depending on your source and source material could be more pleasurable.  It's very easy to swap out.  Just remove the top cover, remove the four screws securing the DAC PCB and lift the PCB straight up and out.  Just reverse the order to put either board back in.  Just make sure the unit is powered off before doing any of the swapping. 
beyersmile.png

Received mine too yesterday. I am going to test it soon :D

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #833 of 1,995
Quote:
beyersmile.png

In case anyone missed that, Mike did comparison of both DAC boards on Conductor a while back

Burson Conductor ESS9018 vs PCM1793

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #834 of 1,995
Aug 22, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #836 of 1,995
I have to maintain the diminishing returns position at least until my wallet recovers:) Whilst I don't doubt that improvements can be found, I am currently more than content with the LCD-2/ Conductor rig. After a solid month of listening for at least 3 hours per day, it continues to allow music to take over and blow my mind on a regular basis.

Dan, I would like to thank you for influencing my decision to get this rig, via your Journey. Your combination of descriptive writing and emotive imagery is very clever and compelling.

However, my wallet will not allow me to read any more of your Journey:)

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #837 of 1,995
Quote:
I have to maintain the diminishing returns position at least until my wallet recovers:) Whilst I don't doubt that improvements can be found, I am currently more than content with the LCD-2/ Conductor rig. After a solid month of listening for at least 3 hours per day, it continues to allow music to take over and blow my mind on a regular basis.

Dan, I would like to thank you for influencing my decision to get this rig, via your Journey. Your combination of descriptive writing and emotive imagery is very clever and compelling.

However, my wallet will not allow me to read any more of your Journey:)

I am really happy you like your rig . Thank you for reading and trusting "The Journey" :D 

Don't get me wrong, I have Conductor too :D . I still love it, and still think of it as a wonderful peace of gear, the best combo at that price (still haven't listened to a better solid state amp or found a dac to be better than it and not being at least 2x conductor's price).

What ruined my diminished returns theory is the Msb Analog Dac, which will remain a nice dream for now, as it is expensive as a car here :))

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #838 of 1,995
I couldn't help myself, I had to google the Msb Analog Dac. Wow!!! This hobby could get very expensive.

I am intrigued by the ability to swap out the conductor DAC. I wasn't aware that the Conductor was upgradable (even if it appears a side-grade, if not down-grade). If Burson created a DSD card, I would definitely be interested.

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #839 of 1,995
Quote:
I couldn't help myself, I had to google the Msb Analog Dac. Wow!!! This hobby could get very expensive.

I am intrigued by the ability to swap out the conductor DAC. I wasn't aware that the Conductor was upgradable (even if it appears a side-grade, if not down-grade). If Burson created a DSD card, I would definitely be interested.

I will write about the dac swap soon, with pictures and how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back