Support up to 24bit @ 192Khz with 10ppm low jitter clock
Asynchronous Transfer Mode

[size=10.5pt]DAC Specification[/size]
Channel Separation: 140 dB @ 1KHz, 130 dB @ 20KHz
THD+N: 0.0005% @ 1KHz, 0dBFS
COAX & Toslink / SPDIF : 32 bits / 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176.4K, 192KHz

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #813 of 1,995
Quote:
Guys, the DAC in Conductor is very good . You have to pay a lot more to get something better. 

Yeah, I agree.  My post before was more along the lines of, "you should think of it as a $1k DAC" since Andrew was surprised I prefer the M51 (although people who like really strong bass may not).

Anyways, I'd be compelled to ask "what's the point" from the performance of that Tenor chip.  Not that ti doesn't sound good, but it's been so buggy for me I basically can't use the Conductor without an external USB -> SPDIF: The Tenor wasn't recognized sometimes, would randomly slow down and distort all the audio, freaked out in all but a very recent version of J-River, my computer would not go to screen saver with it on, sometimes wouldn't boot if it's on, and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.  I tried reinstalling and getting the new drivers and all that. No dice.  My experience does seem exceptionally bad, though, given what I've read here. 

Regardless, I'd consider what I'm hearing now worth the price of the Conductor + the USB -> SPDIF I had to get and have far more expensive gear for reference, so take that as you will.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #814 of 1,995

Yeah, I agree.  My post before was more along the lines of, "you should think of it as a $1k DAC" since Andrew was surprised I prefer the M51 (although people who like really strong bass may not).

Anyways, I'd be compelled to ask "what's the point" from the performance of that Tenor chip.  Not that ti doesn't sound good, but it's been so buggy for me I basically can't use the Conductor without an external USB -> SPDIF: The Tenor wasn't recognized sometimes, would randomly slow down and distort all the audio, freaked out in all but a very recent version of J-River, my computer would not go to screen saver with it on, sometimes wouldn't boot if it's on, and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.  I tried reinstalling and getting the new drivers and all that. No dice.  My experience does seem exceptionally bad, though, given what I've read here. 

Regardless, I'd consider what I'm hearing now worth the price of the Conductor + the USB -> SPDIF I had to get and have far more expensive gear for reference, so take that as you will.

Sorry in advance if my terminology/understanding is really bad, it's all been acquired through here and sparse internet articles.

Question: when the Tenor chip does function appropriately, does it do its job effectively, or would a USB/SPDIF converter still be recommended on top? I noticed in your gear set you have a Musical Fidelity V-LINK II, Stello U3, and JKSPDIF MK3.

Just curious because the AudioGD Digital Interface uses the same chip, and I was considering buying that to accompany the conductor but if the Burson has a functioning jitter-reducer, then an additional one of similar specs = superfluous?

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #815 of 1,995
Quote:

Have you tried Foobar2000? And does the newest JRiver version work ok? I want to try it again.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #816 of 1,995
I was warned by the previous owner of my Conductor that the Tenor chip was the weak link in its chain, but aside from not being recognised by my laptop when I first got it, I've had no issues whatsoever. The connectivity issue turned out to be a dodgy USB cable. I use Windows 8 on a new-ish laptop with the latest firmware from Burson's website. I think the problems some are experiencing could be computer related rather than a fault with the Tenor chip. It's one of the most hassle-free USB implementations I've used. And yes, JRiver with the Conductor's ASIO plugin works perfectly.

And I take back my earlier post about the SQ via the USB connection not being up the standard of my CD player. That was remedied by altering a few settings in JRiver.

It must sound absolutely fantastic with a good SPDIF converter like the Audiophilleo :)

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #818 of 1,995
I was warned by the previous owner of my Conductor that the Tenor chip was the weak link in its chain, but aside from not being recognised by my laptop when I first got it, I've had no issues whatsoever. The connectivity issue turned out to be a dodgy USB cable. I use Windows 8 on a new-ish laptop with the latest firmware from Burson's website. I think the problems some are experiencing could be computer related rather than a fault with the Tenor chip. It's one of the most hassle-free USB implementations I've used. And yes, JRiver with the Conductor's ASIO plugin works perfectly.

And I take back my earlier post about the SQ via the USB connection not being up the standard of my CD player. That was remedied by altering a few settings in JRiver.

It must sound absolutely fantastic with a good SPDIF converter like the Audiophilleo
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not the Tenor chip (hardware) but rather the Tenor USB driver (software) that is the problem. Burson is aware of the problem and is working to get it resolved.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #820 of 1,995
Quote:
Yeah, you're right :)

The problem is with the drivers from Tenor from my understanding.

Guys, did anybody notice a change in Burson Conductor's specs on their website?

Output power: 4W at 8 Ohms

I remember it to be 4W at 16 Ohms.

Actually I found a message that I sent them on Facebook asking them something about the output power, where I copy pasted this from their website, a few months ago : 

Output power: 4W at 16 Ohms

The measurements on innerfidelity shows that the "old" measurements that I know are closer to the truth :

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Summary_Soloist_Innerfidelity.html

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #821 of 1,995
Wasn't it originally rated 4W @ 32Ohms?

Whatever it is, it is more than sufficient to power the LCD-2.

I think this is my endgame PC rig (however I may get HD-800 down the track). Whilst I haven't a great deal of headphone experience, I am not convinced that audio can get that much better without massive diminishing returns.  

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #822 of 1,995
Quote:
Wasn't it originally rated 4W @ 32Ohms?

Whatever it is, it is more than sufficient to power the LCD-2.

I think this is my endgame PC rig (however I may get HD-800 down the track). Whilst I haven't a great deal of headphone experience, I am not convinced that audio can get that much better without massive diminishing returns.  

It was rated @16 Ohms in the specs, I am sure of that. It has 1.28W at 50 Ohms and LCD2 need > 1W to be at it's full from my knowledge. And it is ok from innerfidelity's measurements as it turned out to have 2.2 @ 32..

About the diminished returns...I had the same theory until recent events .... :|

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #824 of 1,995
Don't think so

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #825 of 1,995
Quote:
Have you tried Foobar2000? And does the newest JRiver version work ok? I want to try it again.

I don't have foobar, but the version of J-River I have now (not the fancy new one you have to pay extra for) works fine. 

I don't think the problems I've experienced are computer related since I've owned several USB audio devices and the Tenor's unique in all its problems.  IDK, maybe mine's just defective.  I'd send it back, but I'm pretty happy just using an external USB -> SPDIF for the improved SQ anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back