Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Jun 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #511 of 1,995
You could try the Wireworld Ultraviolet for the cost of $42.99. If you do not hear a difference then your not out much. But, please come back and tell us your findings. I tried different toslink cables' but never heard a difference. I did hear a  very nice difference swapping the stock coaxial with a  $100.00 Luminous Audio Allegro. It had better tone, deeper soundstage and more detail.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #512 of 1,995
 Hi i'm new to head fi. long time audiophile. i have conductor, dynaudio 110a, akg 701s, sony c555es sacd/cd, onkyo nd-s1 ipod transport tos to conductor, sony is coaxial to conductor. windows vista -usb. i'm having a problem with coaxial. if onkyo is turned on coaxial won't lock on signal. if turn toslink source off/on/off conductor locks on coaxial as long as toslink source is off.  has anybody else had a problem? anybody running a coaxial and toslink source? love my conductor, this is strange. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #513 of 1,995
Quote:
 Hi i'm new to head fi. long time audiophile. i have conductor, dynaudio 110a, akg 701s, sony c555es sacd/cd, onkyo nd-s1 ipod transport tos to conductor, sony is coaxial to conductor. windows vista -usb. i'm having a problem with coaxial. if onkyo is turned on coaxial won't lock on signal. if turn toslink source off/on/off conductor locks on coaxial as long as toslink source is off.  has anybody else had a problem? anybody running a coaxial and toslink source? love my conductor, this is strange. 

I use coax w/t Onix cd and tos w/t Sony. I leave them on all the time and no probs. Also, wish to report no clicking w/t new usb cable. Probably caused by loose ends on cable.co loaners. New Diamond usb has good synergy with Burson.  Manufacture say's 150 hrs break-in.time but I'm already in awe.
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #515 of 1,995
Gonna buy the Conductor soon, but eventually I want to use the pre amp feature and get a speaker set. The best would be to get the Time Keeper and some very good speakers, but for the time being it is a bit expensive.
I have been looking at the new STA-100 power amp from Nuforce. Very little information and reviews as of yet. Just wondering if anybody have had similar thoughts?

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #516 of 1,995
Quote:
Thanks I'll try that. Tos works better than coaxial on everything I've tried. I think I'll try a better cable also.

All so remember to power up your source machine (s) first and your Burson last. Powering down reverse the steps. There is a protection circuit for the expensive Sabre 32 chip and it is also against Burson's instructions (warranty issues). 

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #517 of 1,995
Quote:
Gonna buy the Conductor soon, but eventually I want to use the pre amp feature and get a speaker set. The best would be to get the Time Keeper and some very good speakers, but for the time being it is a bit expensive.
I have been looking at the new STA-100 power amp from Nuforce. Very little information and reviews as of yet. Just wondering if anybody have had similar thoughts?

I know I for one would like to know how good the dac/preamp section sounds with a full size amp and speakers. Please keep us posted.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #519 of 1,995
Thanks. I am aware of power up/down instructions. With 30 min warm up when using usb it's a pain. I like to turn on conductor to warm then computer. Things work better when instructions are followed with conductor.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #520 of 1,995
Hi guys,

I would appreciate an honest opinion / advice.
i started to read this topic from page one (now on page 16)
a lot of info and a good read..

Lots of issues about drivers, sum of you upgrade to expensive high-end fuse and power cords and so on. This initially worried me..

Sinds i want a low maintenance care free package.

i ordered my first high-end headphone 2months ago (still waiting on them).
i opted for a pair of closed back headphone..

i have not had a chance to audition them but i thought that the Beyerdyanmic T5p would be a great choice.

I read manny blogs that say one does not need an amp for these headphones.
But would benefit from an amp..

so i considered the FiiO E17.. And talked to a store selling high-end solidState amps.
And he told me about the "Burson Conductor" ..
it looked nice and the reviews are mind blowing..

Reading the forum and the manual i'm presented with a couple of things that worry me.
- 30 min warm up time (according to the manual)
- if power is disconnected for longer than 1 hour ore more the unit will need break-in period (according to manual)
- The need / must to upgrade components like fuses power cabling..
- The possible issues with Drivers that are made from a 3e party producing the usb component.  

Also do i really need this Titan of an amp with something as easy to drive like the T5p's?
And by need i mean would something like a E17 be sufficient for now..
Until i get my second pair of harder to drive higher impedance headphone..
Perhaps something like HE-500 or LCD2..(don't know if il' go that way without an audition)

i would love to hear from you..

Furthermore i got a deal from a second store telling me they have a Burson Conductor that i can listen to..
And if i get the T5p+conductor they would make me a great deal for the total package..
so T1 or T5p + Conductor for €2275  $3034 …. i could buy the T5p from an other store just by itself
for €900  $1200 ..
Basically i would be getting the Burson for €1375  $1834 now i don't know if that is a great deal ?

And i don't know if i should just go for the T5p and start off with the FiiO E17… 

Hope you understand my dilemma ?? 
Thanks

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #521 of 1,995
Quote:

Thanks

My 2c:
Everyone to his own, but I've owned and sold the T1s, as imho they don't hold a candle to the Sennheiser HD800s. I would never ever choose the T1s over the latter. The other greats are the LCD-3s (and the HE-6s but those won't run properly off the Conductor).

As for the Conductor the SQ you get for the price is brilliant, just don't turn it off at all and plan on buying a decent interface like Stello U3, Audiophilleo 2 or Hydra X. They add considerably to the SQ and you won't have one single thing to be concerned about. If you're like many of us here and will upgrade to the high-end anyway eventually, skipping the middle steps will cost you less in the end.

Fuses, interfaces, cables etc etc, that goes with everything really, but those are tweaks. The main stuff is your DAC, amplifier (Conductor) and headphones. That alone will get you 85-95% there.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #522 of 1,995
Quote:
Hi guys,

I would appreciate an honest opinion / advice.
i started to read this topic from page one (now on page 16)
a lot of info and a good read..

Lots of issues about drivers, sum of you upgrade to expensive high-end fuse and power cords and so on. This initially worried me..

Sinds i want a low maintenance care free package.

i ordered my first high-end headphone 2months ago (still waiting on them).
i opted for a pair of closed back headphone..

i have not had a chance to audition them but i thought that the Beyerdyanmic T5p would be a great choice.

I read manny blogs that say one does not need an amp for these headphones.
But would benefit from an amp..

so i considered the FiiO E17.. And talked to a store selling high-end solidState amps.
And he told me about the "Burson Conductor" ..
it looked nice and the reviews are mind blowing..

Reading the forum and the manual i'm presented with a couple of things that worry me.
- 30 min warm up time (according to the manual)
- if power is disconnected for longer than 1 hour ore more the unit will need break-in period (according to manual)
- The need / must to upgrade components like fuses power cabling..
- The possible issues with Drivers that are made from a 3e party producing the usb component.  

Also do i really need this Titan of an amp with something as easy to drive like the T5p's?
And by need i mean would something like a E17 be sufficient for now..
Until i get my second pair of harder to drive higher impedance headphone..
Perhaps something like HE-500 or LCD2..(don't know if il' go that way without an audition)

i would love to hear from you..

Furthermore i got a deal from a second store telling me they have a Burson Conductor that i can listen to..
And if i get the T5p+conductor they would make me a great deal for the total package..
so T1 or T5p + Conductor for €2275  $3034 …. i could buy the T5p from an other store just by itself
for €900  $1200 ..
Basically i would be getting the Burson for €1375  $1834 now i don't know if that is a great deal ?

And i don't know if i should just go for the T5p and start off with the FiiO E17… 

Thanks

I run the Conductor with a pair of Senns hd800  i open my player after i open my Conductor. I check in my player  preferences if its set to ASIO ,BURSON USB ASYNCHRONIOUS MODE  in my case i put some classical on ,and it will warm up eventually thats it i dont have any problem and it sounds great. Pricewize i paid $1500.00 shipping included here in Canada

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #523 of 1,995
Quote:

As for the Conductor the SQ you get for the price is brilliant, just don't turn it off at all and plan on buying a decent interface like Stello U3, Audiophilleo 2 or Hydra X. They add considerably to the SQ and you won't have one single thing to be concerned about. If you're like many of us here and will upgrade to the high-end anyway eventually, skipping the middle steps will cost you less in the end.

i had no knowledge of the "usb/spdif converter world"

There are even shootouts .. And pricing can get way ,,,way up there…

i also found this article talking about the Hydra coupled with the Burson Conductor..

my thoughts after reading this article is Hydra+Conductor is the best thing since sliced bread !
hahahhaha

i have not had the time to compare this new product world hahaha..
And what it really does and how i'm supposed to connected to my mac-mini +macbook pro..
I thought that spdif was out and usb is the thing…

But i don't understand it 100% ..what i think is that this device solves the driver issues with the Burson.
and apparently ads to the quality of the usb signal? 
i say apparently because this gets way way out there in the realm of Subjective listening..
To me the issue of usb driver is good enough :wink: the rest is icing on the cake ..

What ever i do about this new "usb/spdif converter world" it must be a product that has a EU selling point ..i hate customs bull !!

Thank you for the intro the the usb/spdif converter world..
the Hydra is the only EU brand i can get ..no customs but also expensive..

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #524 of 1,995
Quote:
i had no knowledge of the "usb/spdif converter world"

Thank you for the intro the the usb/spdif converter world..
the Hydra is the only EU brand i can get ..no customs but also expensive..

Oh yes ... the rabbit hole is deep. As they say around here: You're welcomed and sorry about your wallet. :)

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #525 of 1,995
Good news here. I spent two hours on the telephone with a Dell technician yesterday. The problem I was having with Foobar crashing during a listening session turned out to be an improperly installed driver. Foobar now working properly. Now who do you think did that?

deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back