Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Apr 29, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #331 of 1,995
Quote:
Ah, you never can tell with the Audio gd stuff.  Being able to put out 6 wpc into 50ohms and being a fully balanced amp also reading the summary - From first looks it seems like an amp first.  But I could be wrong..

Yep, I saw it as a NFB-7.32 with built-in Master amp. Or a simpler version of both. I actually don't know:
- How the integrated amp compares to a Master 5. I don't know if it has the same input stage (like a good single-ended to balanced conversion for the RCA inputs, etc.)
- How the integrated DAC compares to the NFB-7.32. I know the latter can be modded for volume control so, adding an amp to that should not harm much 
rolleyes.gif

What I do know is that the NFB-27 is beast! Easily trumps any other SABRE-based DACs I owned (which are not many and cheaper: iBasso DX100 and Concero).

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #332 of 1,995
In my personal tests at home DAC section of the Conductor was better almost on every aspect compared to: M2tech Young + Palmer battery supply, Moon 300D, Electrocompaniet PD-1, Chord QuteHD and Chord DAC64 and many other cheaper DACs.

I also consider it slightly behind M2Tech Vaughan, but not by a large margin. Vaughan has a better preamp section and slightly better DAC section than Conductor.
Tested on high end speaker systems and headphones.
Yes, Conductor is underrated.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #333 of 1,995
Quote:
In my personal tests at home DAC section of the Conductor was better almost on every aspect compared to: M2tech Young + Palmer battery supply, Moon 300D, Electrocompaniet PD-1, Chord QuteHD and Chord DAC64 and many other cheaper DACs.

I also consider it slightly behind M2Tech Vaughan, but not by a large margin. Vaughan has a better preamp section and slightly better DAC section than Conductor.
Tested on high end speaker systems and headphones.
Yes, Conductor is underrated.

+1 on that :D

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #334 of 1,995
Quote:
Never heard the Audio gd, but had the ha-160ds and auditioned the 160d. I have the Conductor now and it is much better than bot the 160D and DS. Both amplifier and DAC are great on it. I really think the Conductor is under-rated on headfi and it can trump a lot of more expensive gear :D

Hmmm... I have "Model number: 160D" at the back of my Conductor.
On their website you can see the same labeling on Conductor photos though. Is is another 160D?

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #335 of 1,995
Quote:
On their website you can see the same labeling on Conductor photos though. Is is another 160D?

Because it's probably a 160D conductor? 
Just a guess. 
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #336 of 1,995
All Conductors have this on the back, nothing to worry about, it has the same aluminium chasis as 160D, that is all.

May 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #337 of 1,995
I have a question for the experts here in this forum...

I have a burson conductor pairing with a HD800 in my office. When I try to connect my music through the USB port (from my computer), it generates a faint periodic ticking noise; also, the interval of this noise will change when I change bit rate/frequency settings (e,g. 16 bit 44.1kHz or 24 bit 96kHz). I was thinking this may be due to my computer's USB port, but I run into the same problem when I set it up on another computer. Any suggestions for trouble shooting? Thanks!!

May 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #338 of 1,995
How do the Senns HD800 sound with the Conductor, on the  warm side or on the bright side and what headphone would complement the Conductor best overall .

May 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #339 of 1,995
More capable than a lot of other pairings I've heard, but a bit "hard" sounding, if you get what I mean. 

I think either of the Audez'e headphones or maybe an HE500 (I have them, but haven't used the combo much) would be a better match.

May 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #340 of 1,995
Quote:
How do the Senns HD800 sound with the Conductor, on the  warm side or on the bright side and what headphone would complement the Conductor best overall .

I have tried Conductor with many headphones and with all I had very good results. I love both HD800&LCD2 with it. Sennheiser HD800 was quite a nice surprise on it. I really love it. The sound is quite smooth, bassy & energetic. (My impressions of hd800 with conductor here). I do not find it to be bright. Just very transparent and neutral.

May 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #341 of 1,995
Quote:
I have tried Conductor with many headphones and with all I had very good results. I love both HD800&LCD2 with it. Sennheiser HD800 was quite a nice surprise on it. I really love it. The sound is quite smooth, bassy & energetic. (My impressions of hd800 with conductor here). I do not find it to be bright. Just very transparent and neutral.

Thanks Dan for the imput and i like your reviews very entertaining read as always and after this my wallet might be ambushed im happy to say. 

May 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #342 of 1,995
Quote:
Thanks Dan for the imput and i like your reviews very entertaining read as always and after this my wallet might be ambushed im happy to say. 

Thank you Mike. Really appreciate it. Regarding the ambush, every time I get something new I think this was it, or I could take a pause, but didn't manage to do that.

For example, now because of DarKu and Negura, I want a LCD3, HD800 bigg ass copper cable, and an usb interface :)) (and after that a turntable :p

May 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #343 of 1,995
And IE800 :))

May 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #345 of 1,995
Asked Burson today about the new driver they say was suppose to come out  2 weeks ago .according to Burson they are still waiting for Tenor.Good thing its  just a bit buggy but its starting to get to me !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back