Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Feb 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #226 of 1,995
Quote:
Tomorrow I am sending the Conductor back to the shop, since the loan is over.

All in all, I think highly of the amp section of it, but unfortunately the DAC has some issues and the sound from the DAC is not to my liking even though it has a quite high level of clarity/purity. The emphasis on the treble is not dominant, but enough for me to look elsewhere. I already have the Soloist, and I am now going for a separate DAC to pair it with. At the moment Metrum Octave is on the radar, but it is about two years old, so I expect there will be a successor this year - so I am going to be patient.

Goodbye and good luck to you all.

Good luck in your search for a DAC Lars!

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #227 of 1,995
To further elaborate on the heavy noise issue that sometimes would happen when listening to songs; for me this only happens in 24/192 bit rate. Anything less and I get no issues at all. It would sometimes happen when I would be watching a video on Youtube and then play music from my music player(Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 or Foobar2000). I'd have to restart the song or the player sometimes. But maybe this will go away seeing as I just got my unit last night. I don't have any music over 16/44.1 so I can't speak on music issues when playing  high end files.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #228 of 1,995
The intermittent clicking for me has ceased, not sure why and how but i'm not going to complain.

I have an HA-160D to compare the conductor to. I have found that the conductor is far superior in everyway except it seems to lack the warmth and bass of the 160D.

However, the Conductor is barely worn in, probably has around 20 hours. Where as the 160D is way over 200+.

I like the conductor but I really miss that amazing sub-bass that the 160D can produce. Does anyone know whether it will begin to return with further usage?

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #229 of 1,995
Quote:
The intermittent clicking for me has ceased, not sure why and how but i'm not going to complain.

I have an HA-160D to compare the conductor to. I have found that the conductor is far superior in everyway except it seems to lack the warmth and bass of the 160D.

However, the Conductor is barely worn in, probably has around 20 hours. Where as the 160D is way over 200+.

I like the conductor but I really miss that amazing sub-bass that the 160D can produce. Does anyone know whether it will begin to return with further usage?

ALL I can say is: just warm it more and after 100 hours of burn-in return back and report :)
Most changes I heard at around 60 hours, and from there on it starting to lay down and settle.
Conductor it is the only audio equipment that absolutely changed from first minute to curent state.
The bass will be hitting harder and the highs will be tamed, I for one love how my Conductor sounds now and it is here to stay for a long time.
I also was a bit shocked how Conductor sounds with HD800, at least 2 times better compared to how my previous HA-160D did, I'm loving it !

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #230 of 1,995
Sorry to say I returned mine today also. 
I was missing my tube sound too much I guess. If you are a solid state person, the Conductor and Soloist that I also auditioned are very fine units. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #231 of 1,995
150+ hours in, I'm beginning to really like the Conductor. The treble is finally smoothing out. I would be wary of judging it prematurely.

I am not totally satisfied by the sound I'm getting, but agree that it is significantly better than the HA-160D here (including bass. It took about 100 hours before I liked the bass and mids, but more than 150hrs before I liked the treble).

Can anyone recommend a good fuse I might try?

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #232 of 1,995
Quote:

Try this one:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-996-hifi-tuning-fuses-silverstar-small-fast.aspx

Make sure it have the same values as the stock one. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #233 of 1,995
Quote:

Try this one:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-996-hifi-tuning-fuses-silverstar-small-fast.aspx

Make sure it have the same values as the stock one. 

I would recommend the BEST one available: HiFi Tuning Supreme 3 (the black one)
@vegan you will need a 250V, 3A, Fast Blow, 5x20 mm type if you have 220-250V in your wall wart.
or 120V, 3A, fast blow, 5X20 mm if you live in USA, or any other country with 120V wall wart.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #234 of 1,995
Quote:

I currently use the HiFi tuning fuses in my Marantz SACD player from more then a year and I am more than happy with the result I got, it was easy to describe the difference straightaway with the first sounds. To be honest I wanted to see if this is not the case of the placebo effect so I put the stock fuse back (I do this twice) and the difference was always clear for me. These fuses really do this job.

I will use it in my conductor too together (until i finish my DIY power cable with built-in mains filter)

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #235 of 1,995
Thanks guys!
Good to hear what's worked with the Conductor.
There is a mindfield of opinions out there. Never having heard the benefits myself, the return policy of Synergistic Research is appealing... Please chime in if you have compared a few fuses :)

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #236 of 1,995
Does anyone have any experience with the Conductor and the Beyer T1?

I'm looking for a high end can. I've had the LCD-2 in the past, sounds amazing but just too uncomfortable. The HD800 just doesn't seem appealing to me.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #237 of 1,995
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the Conductor and the Beyer T1?

I'm looking for a high end can. I've had the LCD-2 in the past, sounds amazing but just too uncomfortable. The HD800 just doesn't seem appealing to me.

The T1 became a fan favorite with the Soloist. You could check out the soloist thread for comments:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613800/burson-new-soloist-headphone-amp/705#post_9160796

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #238 of 1,995
I'm loving my Conductor and LCD-2 set-up.

Question about the driver: I was just looking at the Burson Conductor page and noticed that there seem to be two links for the Windows 7/XP driver. Where it says "MS Windows 7 and XP driver" the "MS Windows 7 and XP" part links to a driver named "Burson_USB_Win7_Xp.zip." But the last part of the link text ("driver") links to "Burson_USB_Win_(1.130).zip."

Are these two different drivers? If so, what's the difference? Is one an updated version? I don't see anything about it on Burson's site.

EDIT: Nevermind, the second link doesn't work. But now I'm wondering if the driver was at some point updated and whether I'm using the current version. I'll investigate further, I guess.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #239 of 1,995
Burson_USB_Win7_Xp.zip seems like the newest.

http://bursonaudio.com/Zips/

The Burson_USB_Win_(1.130).zip was on their page a couple weeks ago, but they removed it for whatever reason.  I think it's probably the same file as Burson_USB_Win7_Xp.zip just renamed.

I'm away until next Sat, but I can check the md5s of the 2 files when I get home.  I still have the 1.13 on my pc.

The 1.13 compared to the original didn't seem like it added anything besides Windows 8 support.  The non-idle issue still exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back