Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Dec 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #1,966 of 1,995

Do you run Vista i had to run it in compatibility mode with Windows XP to get drivers even after this i am missing 2 sample rates 88 and 176 there's several post about this subject in this thread .i have the CM6631 USB module 

Win 7 64 bit. Just updated to the new cm6631 and now I am going to set up next week a dedicated music server running Win 8.1 64 bit.

From what i had heard awhile back they say Win 7 is better than win 8 for audio because i to was thinking of getting  a new PC  for audio and was going to get Win7 .will research this again before buying anyways 

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #1,967 of 1,995
  From what i had heard awhile back they say Win 7 is better than win 8 for audio because i to was thinking of getting  a new PC  for audio and was going to get Win7 .will research this again before buying anyways 

I've heard just the opposite Mike.  There was supposed to be less processing involved on the Win 8 platform.  I'm now on 8.1 and it is quite nice.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,968 of 1,995

I've heard just the opposite Mike.  There was supposed to be less processing involved on the Win 8 platform.  I'm now on 8.1 and it is quite nice.

That's good to know will check it out ,awhile back  was checking out ROK BOX PC'S and they were using Win7 but just noticed they have Win 8.1 also could it be win 8 was more problematic dont remember exactly . Thanks for the update .

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #1,969 of 1,995
I have a Conductor bought in May of 2013. Just wondering which of you in here has the PCM1793 dac? I am considering changing the dac chip as I am curious on the analog sound people say it represent.
Also gonna order the usb module.

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #1,970 of 1,995
I have the PCM board installed. As I use the HD800 + Audio Technica AD900 headphones which are both cold and analitical headphones, the PCM DAC board eases the highs and ads a dose of realism/belivability to the sound. I like the PCM board better than the Sabre one, but as I'm using it for the last 8 months, I'll go back to the Sabre board tonight to refresh my opinion to it. I'll post my opinions by tomorrow

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #1,971 of 1,995
Cool, thanks for chiming in! I have the LCD-3F and I like them very much with the Conductor, but in the last couple of months I have felt a kind of harshness on some recordings. Typically newer albums. Maybe a symptom of loudness but also some highs as you said could ease out with the PCM1793.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #1,973 of 1,995
  I have a Conductor bought in May of 2013. Just wondering which of you in here has the PCM1793 dac? I am considering changing the dac chip as I am curious on the analog sound people say it represent.
Also gonna order the usb module.

Troll Dragon in this review speaks of the ESS sabre dac board and the pcm1793 the amp he reviewed came with c-media 6631 u.s.b.module maybe this will help.                                                                                                                                                                                http://www.head-fi.org/t/693065/burson-conductor-sl-audeze-lcd-3-loaner-program-impression

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,974 of 1,995
  can I ask what usb cable u guys are on the pcm? im running with hd700's

I am using a DHLABS usb cable only because it came with the amp  tried the stock cable same thing .

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,977 of 1,995

I am using a DHLABS usb cable only because it came with the amp  tried the stock cable same thing .

how have u found it any audible difference?

At least for the USB cable, I never felt it did one lick of difference.
I can feel the difference between various RCA and even power cord cables but I never felt that the Usb cable has any audio advantage

i felt the same way but when i replaced my printer cable with cardas it definitely was clearer and I'm not bias in anyway didn't bother either way if there was an improvement or not i just needed to hear it for myself as we all know about the digital debate.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #1,978 of 1,995
At least for the USB cable, I never felt it did one lick of difference.
I can feel the difference between various RCA and even power cord cables but I never felt that the Usb cable has any audio advantage

You might want to try the LH Labs Lightspeed 2G or 10G and the Totaldac D1.  YES, they're expensive but depending on the quality of your connected equipment they shine.  A digital transmission is actually an analog signal (Square wave) that is interpreted into Zeros and Ones.  If that square wave is off or the timing of the signal is off the sound quality suffers.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,979 of 1,995

You might want to try the LH Labs Lightspeed 2G or 10G and the Totaldac D1.  YES, they're expensive but depending on the quality of your connected equipment they shine.  A digital transmission is actually an analog signal (Square wave) that is interpreted into Zeros and Ones.  If that square wave is off or the timing of the signal is off the sound quality suffers.

Concur. Just got a LH Labs Lightspeed 10G (was on sale for Black Friday for a steal) and it's great. Beat out my Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB for reference status in my system. Highly recommended. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #1,980 of 1,995

No thanks, I'n not going back to the Tenor and his upper harshness. Altough, I'm thinking of getting a quality optical cable but I'm still a bit unsure about the sound quality improvement. OPTICAL 4 LIFE, YO!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back