Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Mar 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #1,621 of 1,995
To all of you purchasing new conductor's congrat's.

I'm old school and the quality of the amp alone would have cost over $1500 a couple of decades ago.
Back then I paid a $1000+ just for a decent pre-amp.
We hunted the really good cd players because the expense of a Transport and Dac was prohibitive. Nada.
Then add a pair of really good interconnects...... You get the idea.

The Burson Conductor is quite the value.

Of course if you were willing to add another $1000 and get the Part's Connexion Signature Mod.,,
You would have something that holds it's own against much more expensive systems. (My opinon is $5000 or more).
Of course Canada may be half a world away for some. It's a half a continent for me. But....

Please forgive me, sometimes I do sound egotistical when I talk about the Signature Burson. But,
it's my passion and my zeal overflow's at times until .... thing's get kinda messy.'

I have been wanting to give an update though. In case anyone might would like to consider the
mod and it's results.

~~The Signature Burson is more than just a beefed up power supply. The 48 step Khzomo attenuator is a big step up from the stock one. In 15 month's of daily use it has performed flawlessly, with no maintenance and no popping as being reported here with the stock one.
   The RCA Jack's are upgraded to the Vampire "Direct Gold over copper". (Stock ones are Nickel over brass.). The 4 "most important" signal path resistor's are upgraded as are other critical resistors. Of course the power supply is a big part of the mod.
    It goes from 4700uf to 10,000uf and the quality of the caps are upgraded. You may wish to see a complete list of the mod's so just pm me or let me know in the thread. The upgraded components don't read like just a bunch of higher cost parts, but instead must be chosen to compliment one another. You would have to talk to Chris at Part's Connexion about it as this is his baby and beyond my limited scope.

I attempted to write a bit about the sound previously but ran into a few problems. I know now that for one, I had the wrong driver installed, 32 bit instead of 64. My cables had not yet broken in. And even the Burson Conductor took much longer than I knew.

Now, I whole heartedly recommend the Signature mod.

You should be aware though that to get the best out of it your going to want the best cables and interface you can buy.
Something like the Hydra X, or Audiophilleo w/pure power.
Not that it doesn't sound great like it is. No, it's because you really need to hear what it's capable of.

It come's with the ESS Sabre 32 9018. No need for the SL 1793.

It has the ESS 9018's dynamic and detail but also the SL 1793's smoother
sound. The lack of grain means the music has a new level of purity. Something
that you can build on with cables and interfaces like the Audiophilleo, or Hydra X.
The mid's are warmer and the high's less aggressive, and easier on the ears.
It's more musical and a weightier more natural tone. I can not recommend it
enough if you want to take your Conductor to a whole new level.

With the Lcd's it's a dark burgundy bottle of Merlot; ultimately satisfying. The Sennheiser Hd 650's a bottle
of lively Champaigne; a frolic, but with either the liquid is a lovely opaque revealing what's on
the other side.

Whether it's the detail and intimacy of a silver/copper cable or the more round and robust
of copper. A word of warning though. Pure Silver made my ear's hurt for a month.
Platinum hurt's also. Presently I'm still looking for my Holy Grail headphone cable. I know the one I'm using
is close but the pursuit of audio perfection go's on. But, it's really cool to know I'm 99%.

Adding the Audiophilleo made an incredible difference in the amount detail from the Sabre 32. My jaw literally hit
the floor. Now, this is the real high end sound we're all looking for!

Best Wishes,

"But it's expensive Ruby" "Yes, It is."  So is selling your used Burson for a loss. To move up you will be looking at purchasing
a dac, possibly a preamp. And a better amp alone will probably cost what you paid for the Burson to begin with.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,622 of 1,995
Rats!!!!! Triple Rats!!!!!!! and Madness!!!!!! I just ordered my Conductor from Chris!!!! He didn't mention a word about some Signature Conductor!!!!! Mine is supposed to get to me Wednesday or Thursday... It just left the shop today!!!!! Schiit Schiit Schiit!!!!!! - I guess I'll have to live with the regular Conductor for now and if one day I feel the need for an upgrade then I'll know exactly what to do.... Please send me the upgrade specs and parts list so I can let Chris know exactly how he should right this most egregious boondoggle... I thank you for your candor and willingness to share. However, as you egotistically sip your wine with your LCD's on while listening to your Signature Conductor know what you have done to disturb our listening experience has not gone unnoticed....LOL!!!!!!

Peace....
L3000.gif

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,623 of 1,995
Thanks for your great little write up and picture of the Signature, Ruby :)
I'd be very curious to hear it. Being in Australia with very limited means, I won't be sending it to Canada.

What mods have brought the best bang for your buck on the Conductor?
Has anyone installed different caps? Any others to recommend?
Would changing a few resistors make a real difference?

So far, I've popped in the CM Media board, a Synergy Hifi fuse and Eichmann gold over copper RCAs sockets. The better USB board sounded better than my friend's original Audiophilleo (the only comparison besides the Tenor). Fuse rolling is highly recommended. The benefits of changing the RCAs was not nearly as obvious, but thought it worthwhile too.

I've been pretty darn happy with the sound I'm getting with Audirvana... but always wonder if there is more delicacy and texture to be had. The 1793 might be fun to try, but not sure if I'd be losing so much of what I love about the Conductor. I'm not looking for anything smoother, per se. Although, it's hard to know until you hear it, isn't it?

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,624 of 1,995
Is the CM Media board that much of a difference? or is it just more stable?

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,625 of 1,995
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR] most here suggest there are many better options out there.
I should clarify that I've not compared the CM Media board directly with anything else. I had my friend's original Audiophilleo in my system a couple weeks before installing the CM Media board. As they say, aural memory is notoriously poor. So I'd put more stock in opinions based on direct comparisons.

But from my dodgy aural memory, the improvement from the Tenor was subtle, but profound. The sound seemed to be smoother with more resolution. The $70 feels like a total bargain given the increase in my enjoyment of the music.

Does anyone know if the CM Media board outputs to I2S or SPDIF?

I'd assume it's the former, but haven't had that confirmed.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,626 of 1,995
  Rats!!!!! Triple Rats!!!!!!! and Madness!!!!!! I just ordered my Conductor from Chris!!!! He didn't mention a word about some Signature Conductor!!!!! Mine is supposed to get to me Wednesday or Thursday... It just left the shop today!!!!! Schiit Schiit Schiit!!!!!! - I guess I'll have to live with the regular Conductor for now and if one day I feel the need for an upgrade then I'll know exactly what to do.... Please send me the upgrade specs and parts list so I can let Chris know exactly how he should right this most egregious boondoggle... I thank you for your candor and willingness to share. However, as you egotistically sip your wine with your LCD's on while listening to your Signature Conductor know what you have done to disturb our listening experience has not gone unnoticed....LOL!!!!!!

Peace....
L3000.gif

If you were to decide on getting the mod now; I'm sure Chris would swap out with you. Alas, it's an extra $1000.00.
Congratulation's on you purchase though. I think you will find the 'as is' Conductor's performance extraordinary.
We all know it out performs' anything in it's price range. It's for this reason the Signature mod is so effective.

The Signature mod takes away all the edginess and grain. As an audiophile my mind will pick out every weakness
where ever it may be and I can't enjoy the music. It's like a horse that has a burr under the saddle. A bee flying around
in the room. A fly that keeps landing on my nose. An itch I can't scratch....
confused_face(1).gif

No, the Burson Conductor is not that bad. Not at all. Still, with the Signature mod the music is more translucent,
more transparent. So very smooth. I can let my mind drift deep into the soundstage. Pick something out; focus on it
and everything else just fall's in place. I'm transported into the music. Nirvana ... (I've fallen asleep with headphones on a few
times.)

In regards to the above the difference is not subtle. You can hear the difference immediately.

Many of the more expensive solid state amp's operate
in class A for the first few watts and then A/B for the rest (or at least they used too).

That Class A sound is very addictive. Once you've heard it nothing less will do. And the Signature Burson has it in spades.
Can a resistor have a sound signature? Best to ask other's but I think so. I built a passive preamp once with only a resistor
and it was ..colorful.

It's very responsive to cable changes. But, the biggest bang for my
buck was the Audiophilleo 2 w/pure power. If your not using the rca inputs then you could try shorting plugs
for a very cheap and slight increase in image density.

Peace and Love, Ruby.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #1,628 of 1,995
Thanks ruby :)
I may have to pop the hood and crank up the soldering iron.. and I hope it doesn't go all pear-shaped...

I have great peace of mind in knowing Part's Connexion warrant's their work.
But if you are confident in your tech abilities and don't mind voiding your (I know you have already thought about this.)
warranty then.........

I have a question. Has anyone here tried different supports under the Burson Conductor with good results?

I used to cut racket balls in half and spray paint them. It worked very good.

I'm thinking of trying a slab of granite with three pointed cones underneath. On top small zip lock bag's of sand within a
wooden frame and  the Conductor resting upon them.

Then try adding small pieces of metal (added weight) on top a little at a time. Or I could save up for this...

http://www.brightstaraudio.com/Store.html

Any thought's? I'm very near completion of my system and as far as my 'holy grail' cable it's being custom built.

Ruby.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #1,629 of 1,995
Sorry had to get a new modem from Time Warner......The old one is on the Fritz.... Looking at getting the ifi iUSBPower and that's about it (maybe the shorting plugs as well). As luck would have it Today of all days - My office Mom ask me to help her carry some packages home from work and I say "Yes" of course and I know I know where is all this leading and what in the world does this have to do with Head-fi...  Read On..... NeWayz I get this - "What Can Brown do for You?" vibe and lo and behold the dude from the mailroom shows up with a box and asking for my signature!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! This can't be happening not Today!!!!!!

Schiit  Schiit Schiit!!!!!!!! I can't take her(The Burson) home 'cause I have to take her (my office Mom) home!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just can't let her sit in the box so I crack her open...

Set her up loading the drivers and starting foobar instead of eating lunch... Food???...Sustenance???? Who needs that!!!!
I only have my Beats Pros and my AKG K555's at work no Audeze and no HD 650's - I must say not a bad first impression.... I was hearing things on some tracks that I never heard before and can't wait to bring her home.... Which leads me to the hardest decision I've had to make in my short but illustrious career - I actually let my co-worker take the Burson Home and give her a twirl... I couldn't just leave her at work like that.. With my luck the building would have burned down overnight.... I'll get her back after the Head-fi Meet in Babylon, NY this weekend and report on my findings: Hopefully he will too...

Peace....
L3000.gif

P.S. Thanks again Ruby for the spec sheet and additional tips...

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #1,630 of 1,995
Nice pictures, sucks you had to pass it on today, but I'm sure it will bring you plenty of listening pleasure in the future :)

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,631 of 1,995
My new Conductor arrived yesterday from Parts Connexion.  Came with the CM6631 USB board installed.  Also ordered a Hi-Fi Supreme fuse and upgraded power cord.  Paired up with my LCD-Xs and iMac running Audirvana+ and hi-rez music.  Obviously has some break-in time ahead however already loving the sound this combo produces.  No drivers necessary for Mac OS and volume and track changes are smooth and silent.

Also evaluated the Benchmark DAC2 HGC which was super in its own right but I felt that the Burson edged it out from a sound and build quality perspective.  Looking forward to sound improvement as things settle in over the next few weeks.

Now contemplating upgraded headphone cables.  Anyone have opinions on brand, copper-vs-silver, etc.?

-a

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #1,633 of 1,995
  my future combo
why did it come with the new usb board?
i bought mine one month ago and was with the tenor
i ll will ask to my dealer

Knowing I wanted the upgraded USB module I first contacted Burson directly to ask them if the latest iteration came with the Tenor or the newer module.  They quickly got back to me and said that the Tenor was the default configuration.  I then reached out to Chris at Parts Connexion and inquired about the upgrade prior to ordering and he assured me that the unit he shipped me had the CM6631 module already installed.  This was confirmed when I hooked it up and it worked flawlessly without any drivers on my iMac.  This may be something that PC does independently of Burson but it's certainly a whole lot easier than ordering and installing yourself if you're buying new.  

PS: I highly recommend Parts Connection as they really know their stuff, have excellent service and are competitive.

-a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back