Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Feb 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,501 of 1,995
BTW, I got the driver zip file FROM Moon Audio (I never saw the goofy download site that people are talking about, I was trying to avoid going to it).

lol, now you say that !?! so moon audio is the culprit
biggrin.gif

jokes aside, the windows driver on moonaudio seems a different version, it's not the exact same file as from burson (4shared)

so burson may not be the one to blamed after all

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,502 of 1,995
I emailed Burson (via facebook) once to know if there's an alternative to 4shared, they gladly sent me the drivers using another filehosting. No issues at all. 

They are working on a more serious solution, 4shared is only for temporal use. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,503 of 1,995
  So I've got from Darku the PCM 1793 DAC module, next month I'll buy the update USB module, maybe a Hi-Fi power cord and even a Hi-Fi power fuse and I'll mod the **** out of my Conductor :)

Fun times are coming

I tried an aftermarket power cord (audioquest nrg-2) with my SPL auditor and it really boosted the bass on the amp..to the point where I couldnt enjoy my hd650s with it...but it made the hd800 and my
er4s iems a bit richer and fuller. Worth the cash if you got it! 

I have a merlin black widow cable i dont ever use btw. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,505 of 1,995
  lol, now you say that !?! so moon audio is the culprit
biggrin.gif

jokes aside, the windows driver on moonaudio seems a different version, it's not the exact same file as from burson (4shared)

so burson may not be the one to blamed after all

Then they may want to sent them a nasty letter or something. Not gonna say I was going to buy the Conductor, but it was in consideration up to this point. The performance was fine for what it was, enough that I was keeping it in mind for reference in case the Fostex A8 I ordered turns out to be unimpressive. The HD800 works good from the Conductor on low volume, extremely linear/accurate. The highs tend to be too much after the 9 oclock position on mid-gain.

Regardless, there shouldn't be this much trouble over setting up drivers. Even the CEtrance Dacmini (a unit I was totally unimpressed with) got that right, as did my Marantz SA-8004 and Dac-It.

BTW, 4shared is actually not THAT bad if you know how to navigate it. It's when you start clicking on the goofy links then bad stuff starts to happen. It's one of the safer ad-loaded download sites.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #1,506 of 1,995
since i read about the usb issues (the functional issues, not the malware) before buying from tony1110, i'm using the coax from my pc, and foobar2000 with wasapi on win7

i'm gonna try the usb connection next, and report back

with the violectric there's no driver needed and it works flawlessly out of the box, just plug and play, it also has a tenor brand usb

but i had experiences with other usb devices (m-audio fast track ultra) where i needed to turn the device on/off many times before it was recognized by windows

i had issues with harsh sound when connecting amps to power mains that were not grounded properly, for example if i remove the ground wire from my power main, when touching and stroking the conductor surface, a strange tingling, piercing sensation can be felt on the skin

but yes the conductor is quite brighter, more treble, than the violectric, but not harsh at all for me

EDIT: installed the driver from burson (4shared) for windows, everything is functioning fine, perfect, i tried to recreate any possible situation and the device gets always recognized and works without any problem, and without any noticeable sonic degradation/difference compared to coax/optical (using win7 foobar2000 wasapi/kernel streaming)

EDIT2: mac os x usb drivers from burson (4shared) work great too, no issues at all, perfect

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #1,507 of 1,995
Oh man - I've got the PCM 1793 DAC module in my Conductor for 2 days now. Guys you must buy it and replace the Sabre module if you have the HD800. This is reference sound right here - incredible mids with lifelike voices, bass is the same as the Sabre - quick and powerful, and the highs and the microdetails are still there (let's say -5% lower than the ESS Sabre).
Burson should put the PCM 1793 module as the default one and leave the ESS Sabre as optional for the LCD 2/HD650 users.

The sound signature out of my rig is EXACTLY what my pretentious/elitist ears are looking for, down to a nano meter. The first time you listen to the 1793 module - the "reality" of the music hits you right in your pleasure center of your brain. I still remember from last night - I was listening to the Little Dragon album and the voice of the singer was soo real, so sticky and sensual - it was out of this world. All I can say is - buy the module, try it for yourself if you have colder Headphones like HD800, LCD3 (yes they are pretty cold) and Fostex TH900

Feb 12, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #1,508 of 1,995
  Oh man - I've got the PCM 1793 DAC module in my Conductor for 2 days now. Guys you must buy it and replace the Sabre module if you have the HD800. This is reference sound right here - incredible mids with lifelike voices, bass is the same as the Sabre - quick and powerful, and the highs and the microdetails are still there (let's say -5% lower than the ESS Sabre).
Burson should put the PCM 1793 module as the default one and leave the ESS Sabre as optional for the LCD 2/HD650 users.

The sound signature out of my rig is EXACTLY what my pretentious/elitist ears are looking for, down to a nano meter. The first time you listen to the 1793 module - the "reality" of the music hits you right in your pleasure center of your brain. I still remember from last night - I was listening to the Little Dragon album and the voice of the singer was soo real, so sticky and sensual - it was out of this world. All I can say is - buy the module, try it for yourself if you have colder Headphones like HD800, LCD3 (yes they are pretty cold) and Fostex TH900

Really glad that you are enjoying the PCM1793 module :), don't forget the new USB module too(C-media one) it makes a significant difference too, it's a must buy for USB connection users.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #1,509 of 1,995
hey, guys !

what's your experience with iems/ciems, the like as the sensitive shure se530 paired with the conductor and/or soloist?

i'm getting a static noise, in the left channel for the first half steps on the stepped attenuator, and than for the second half steps on the right channel

anyone else with statics and similar noise?

how is the new dac in terms of audible noise?

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,510 of 1,995
hey, guys !

what's your experience with iems/ciems, the like as the sensitive shure se530 paired with the conductor and/or soloist?

i'm getting a static noise, in the left channel for the first half steps on the stepped attenuator, and than for the second half steps on the right channel

anyone else with statics and similar noise?

how is the new dac in terms of audible noise?

I tried it with the Shure SE535 and had the same problem. It worked well with the Westone 4R though. They seem to be a little less efficient then most IEMs at 31ohms.

I don't think a monster headphone amp like that was really designed with earphones in mind.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,513 of 1,995

Really glad that you are enjoying the PCM1793 module :), don't forget the new USB module too(C-media one) it makes a significant difference too, it's a must buy for USB connection users.

Can you explain why? i gathered the upgrade was more for compatibility issues with certain software like Jplayer

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,514 of 1,995
I will be tryin' the other digital inputs starting with the Optical one. Honesy, althogh I am sensible to any detail, I did not feel much of a difference between the different inputs. And also, I did not have any discernable issues with the USB input. No popping noises whatsoever.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #1,515 of 1,995

Can you explain why? i gathered the upgrade was more for compatibility issues with certain software like Jplayer

I said it multiple times why, I will say it again:

I see 3 clocks on the new C-Media module, compared to just one clock on original Tenor module.
My predictions for newest module: lower noise floor (blacker background) and of lower incoming jitter due to dedicated clocks for 44, 96 khz
So far this module sound promising.
However I don't think this module will be better than top of the line S/PDIF converters, I highly doubt that, but we shall see.

Got my new C-Media USB module two hours ago.
Short impressions: little pops, cracks in the sound, noise and rare crash of the system are now completely gone. After 4 songs I can definitely say that the new module is a little more resolving, has even less digital glare and sounds smoother. It also seems a little airier. 65 Euros well spent, definitely sounds like a good-ish S/PDIF interface.
Edit: I hear new micro-details on some songs compared to stock USB, I'm very pleased by it.

I'm not running JPlay, but I am 100% sure that the benefits of the new USB module will be available for any software player and for any OS. Because the new module from a hardware perspective is just better and more stable. It has 3 dedicated clocks, compared to just one of the original module, It also has a faster, more reliable and stable C-Media 6631A module, compared to Tenor 8802 or any Tenor chip, and it has a better power management. Overall I feel this is how Conductor should be from the start.
I listened another few tracks yesterday and I feel it is just better with this new module: more air = better sense of space and deeper sound, slightly warmer and smoother = less digitus, very easy on the ear.
Will try comparing the two again tomorrow (today after work will shot some strong ales with fellow Dan and citraian), it is kinda a pain in the ass swapping the modules as I need disasembling the top and back cover, take out the DAC module and USB module, listen and then do it again for the next module. 
Conclusion: new USB module sounds like a good S/PDIF interface (in the 100-200 USD range maybe)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back