Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Feb 6, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #1,486 of 1,995
Popping noise? I have heard no popping noise with mine, and I constantly am adjusting the volume. Seems like a lot of people have problems with the volume know on their Conductor's but mine has worked perfectly fine for me so far.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #1,487 of 1,995
yes, i trimmed it now before powering on, and it helps, maybe it needs its contacts cleaned, or just to see more use

not a big issue for me, pause the music, set the volume, hit play again, that's it, but that's on a computer

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #1,488 of 1,995
ha, i remember watching his gear "show offing", i had only the beyer t1 and a stereo speaker receiver at the time, i was like wow, he's crazy, wasting $$$$, look at me now

trim it? what is that about? edit: oh i saw in the review, it's just to work it out give it a couple of twists while the unit is off

i find myself pausing music when changing volume! to avoid the popping noise!

I remember watching one of his videos where he was reviewing the HD-650 with WA6-SE and thinking that it was overkill. Look at me now lol.

The clicking makes you worry for your headphones but I'm sure it's harmless. I should maybe have cleaned it before I shipped it out.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #1,489 of 1,995
actually the clicks are loud as much as the music being played, so even if it's harmless for the headphones it really irritates my hearing, that's why i pause the music, i saw posts about cleaning the attenuator, maybe i'll do it if trimming doesn't help on the long run, but it seems working for now

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #1,490 of 1,995
  the stepped attenuator noise issue is troubling for me! I mean how many of us will remember to trim it everyday?

i already changed for a Khozmo 48 step attenuator but theres still a little poping sound when turning knob but its not annoying like the Burson's i guess its like that with stepped attenuators .                                                        

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #1,491 of 1,995

I thought the Conductor/Soloist was 4w into 8 ohms, which makes it less than 1w into 50 ohms???

Output power: 4W at 16 Ohms
At 50 ohms it outputs more than 1W.

And I can confirm it, it controls LCD-2 like no other headphone amp does (for me, at least)

doesn't seem to lag behind the v200 in power

a look quick at the manual and this shows up

Quote: from conductor manual
With 1Khz line level input with 30ohm output impedance

Pre Amp Output
Headphone Amp Output

Low
7.7db
0.18W
Medium
13.7db
0.7W
High
18.2db
4W

so at 50 Ohm at high gain should be around 2.68 watt

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #1,492 of 1,995
Okay, the Conductor is going back and sadly, I can't recommend the unit or anything else from Burson audio for one reason...The driver that I downloaded seems to have loaded my computer up with all sorts of annoying adware! I noticed it a few days ago - a video ad would open next to a youtube video and start playing extremely loud and they also show up on head-fi (mostly these two sites). Later on, a popup appears (warn1now, I believe it's called...see more info here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/warn1now-com-popup-removal/ ) I also received a BSOD when I went to turn on the Conductor recently, saying something is goofy about the driver (sorry, I'm not going to attempt to recreate this). That is not supposed to happen. Mind you, my computer was fine prior to the Conductor trial period, avast! was usually more than enough to stop most malware. I found a piece of unwanted software I needed to uninstall on 1/30, which was the same date as when I installed the driver. Now that I am putting 2 and 2 together, that is when this adware mess started. Hopefully, I can get this **** off my computer with no more issues.

Screw you Burson. This is unacceptable. I advise people to stay from these products and this company, especially if they value their computers. If I had actually purchased this thing, I'd be chewing one of their reps out until their ears started bleeding right about now. I am beyond furious. I want to take a sledgehammer to this Conductor right about now.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #1,493 of 1,995
  Okay, the Conductor is going back and sadly, I can't recommend the unit or anything else from Burson audio for one reason...The driver that I downloaded seems to have loaded my computer up with all sorts of annoying adware! I noticed it a few days ago - a video ad would open next to a youtube video and start playing extremely loud and they also show up on head-fi (mostly these two sites). Later on, a popup appears (warn1now, I believe it's called...see more info here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/warn1now-com-popup-removal/ ) I also received a BSOD when I went to turn on the Conductor recently, saying something is goofy about the driver (sorry, I'm not going to attempt to recreate this). That is not supposed to happen. Mind you, my computer was fine prior to the Conductor trial period, avast! was usually more than enough to stop most malware. I found a piece of unwanted software I needed to uninstall on 1/30, which was the same date as when I installed the driver. Now that I am putting 2 and 2 together, that is when this adware mess started. Hopefully, I can get this **** off my computer with no more issues.

Screw you Burson. This is unacceptable. I advise people to stay from these products and this company, especially if they value their computers. If I had actually purchased this thing, I'd be chewing one of their reps out until their ears started bleeding right about now. I am beyond furious. I want to take a sledgehammer to this Conductor right about now.

Seriously?  Out of all the pleased Head-Fi Conductor users, Burson chose YOU to attach malware to the driver?  That's amazingly bad luck.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #1,494 of 1,995
Seriously?  Out of all the pleased Head-Fi Conductor users, Burson chose YOU to attach malware to the driver?  That's amazingly bad luck.

In all fairness he's not the first to complain about it.

The Conductor is a great product but relatively small and easily remediable issues like this need to be ironed out. I wonder how many people thinking about buying a Conductor have been put off by what they read in this thread.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #1,495 of 1,995
yeah its funny how the company make such an awesome amp, great production value and care, yet seem to not be able to design a modern website (not a massive issue) or pay for the bandwidth for direct download of the driver from their site. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,496 of 1,995

There had been others that complained about this. I'm surprised it wasn't fixed by now.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,497 of 1,995

In all fairness he's not the first to complain about it.

The Conductor is a great product but relatively small and easily remediable issues like this need to be ironed out. I wonder how many people thinking about buying a Conductor have been put off by what they read in this thread.

not me, and i read about the buggy usb and popping attenuator before buying (used), and ultimately i'm very satisfied cos of the sound being really special

the issue is that probably burson does not realize (i hope it's not the "doesn't care") that:

1. there are a lot of fishy links and buttons on 4shared, where they host the file download, which only purpose is to lure unaware, inexperienced internet users to download and install malware

2. probably the majority of burson users are not interested in internet, being old school audiophiles, so more likely to fall into installing malicious software lured and deceived by fake links

i agree it's very unprofessional from burson to take the high risk of using unsafe third party services like that to serve their customers

and is certain now that taking that risk, for whatever reason they may have chosen to do so, will not pay out in the long term

yeah its funny how the company make such an awesome amp, great production value and care, yet seem to not be able to design a modern website (not a massive issue) or pay for the bandwidth for direct download of the driver from their site. 

yes, nowadays it's really a matter of a few bucks, how many downloads can they possibly have a month?

There had been others that complained about this. I'm surprised it wasn't fixed by now.

seems like they are not really aware of the internet trends that much, their site looks outdated too

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,498 of 1,995
I have had little sense of what type of company Burson is from reading reviews (though the 6moons ones do feature interviews with the engineers) .. .
are they old school audiophiles? It would fly true with their design philosophy if so of discrete architecture (correct me if im wrong)....

but yeah it just makes no sense that one of their distributors has stepped up with direct downloads (moonaudio) and Burson are still messing 
around with dodgy sharing sites. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,500 of 1,995
My suspicion is the malware was packed into the .zip file and installed when I extracted the drivers. Either that or when I installed it (which is bull, every USB DAC I've used up to this point automatically installs except the Conductor). In any case, I need to see if I can get this crap cleaned up (I uninstalled the driver and deleted the zip, now am running all those tools in the link). Having a USB setup with my computer is useless if it isn't running right. Whatever is in there, there is a LOT of it, none of it was there prior to installing the drivers.

BTW, I got the driver zip file FROM Moon Audio (I never saw the goofy download site that people are talking about, I was trying to avoid going to it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back