Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Dec 27, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #1,336 of 1,995
Yes, something like the Hydra or Audiophilleo would do. The Audiophilleo is $579. Don't know about the price of the Hydra in other countries.
As for the difference... Let's just say that I won't be giving it away until I get a much better DAC.
A cheaper improvement would be getting an upgraded USB module from Burson.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #1,337 of 1,995
Yes, something like the Hydra or Audiophilleo would do. The Audiophilleo is $579. Don't know about the price of the Hydra in other countries.

As for the difference... Let's just say that I won't be giving it away until I get a much better DAC.

A cheaper improvement would be getting an upgraded USB module from Burson.

Citraian, thanks for the info! Can you sa specifically how it effects the sound quality? I also have a Conductor that I am using with LCD-2.2's. I haven't had any problems with the default USB module, so at this point I'm just curious, but I know that upgrade bug may be coming around to bite me soon (either that or it's my wife coming to take my wallet away from me so it stops running away from me :)

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #1,338 of 1,995
:) Check Dan's post here http://www.head-fi.org/t/665558/audiobyte-hydra-high-end-usb-interface#post_9473867

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #1,339 of 1,995
I went the cheaper route with the USB upgrade, I'm pretty happy with it
I was about to get the audiophileo, then opted for the Concero, it also doubles as spdif converter if I ever need to use it that way.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #1,340 of 1,995

I was about to get the audiophileo, then opted for the Concero, it also doubles as spdif converter if I ever need to use it that way.

How much was the USB upgrade, was there any noticable sound difference?

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #1,341 of 1,995

How much was the USB upgrade, was there any noticable sound difference?

I noticed more detail and instrument separation right away, I listen to a lot of classical.

and so far a bug free experience :)

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #1,342 of 1,995
was the install easy to do, looks like its only $65, would you say it was worth it?

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #1,343 of 1,995
For me it was worth it, I was having issues with the old Tenor interface, and the sound improvement was instantly noticed.

It's easy to install, you need to take the sides out. But it's all held by a few hex screws hex.
Hard to break anything, this think is a little tank.

The only issue is the way burson ships the card, basically two foams with tape around it. There are some pics in this thread.
Also it seems to have some issues with OSX.

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #1,344 of 1,995
Ok thanks, yeah I haven't had any issues with the Tenor USB module, so I wasn't sure if I should even worry about upgrading it, seems to work great with my computer so far.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #1,347 of 1,995
Congratulations! :) I wonder how you will compare them to HE-500.

The HE-500 are my favourite headphones to date, but they're not perfect. If the LCD-XC can match what the HE-500 do well and improve upon a couple of things then I'm sure they'll keep me happy. I'd like a little more air around the instruments and I'd like them to sound a little more like real instruments. Sometimes music sounds a little congested and artificial with the HE-500.

If the Audezes don't warrant their price tag then they'll be sent back to the dealer. They'd better be nigh on perfect for the money they cost :)

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #1,348 of 1,995
  I've decided low gain doesn't cut it for me on the Conductor with my LCD-3s. 

Rock just doesn't kick quite as much. 

What gain are people using with Audeze?

I'm on high gain with LCD-2's.

+ 100 !

High gain 11-12 o'clock and 2 o'clock for old rock if I want to rock hard with LCD-3
gs1000.gif

I'm about 2 o'clock as well on the Conductor on High Gain. Hope that's not too loud to blow my eardrums out

I'm back to low gain and just turning the volume up a bit more. Reason is in medium or high gain, you loose a bit of quality and get a bit more noise and it sounds slightly more grainy. It's very subtle but I can notice it if I really pay attention to vocals. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #1,349 of 1,995

I'm back to low gain and just turning the volume up a bit more. Reason is in medium or high gain, you loose a bit of quality and get a bit more noise and it sounds slightly more grainy. It's very subtle but I can notice it if I really pay attention to vocals. 

+1
I agree, Low Gain has cleaner sound. High Gain is somewhat foggy or blurred on my Senn HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back