Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Nov 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #61 of 1,995
Where did you hear that? The HA160D is one of the recommended amps/dacs for the LCD-2.

Burson themselves state about the Conductor-

"since the introduction of the HA-160D in 2010, new headphones had flooded the market. We wanted a new headphone amp that can drive them all including the low-efficiency planarmagnetics"

Here - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/burson10/2.html

The 160D outputs .85 watt I believe, which doesn't really cut it for orthodynamics. In the Audeze manual, they recommend an amp at least 1 watt of power and more is even better.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #62 of 1,995
Ok, I have read of many HF users satisfied with the LCD-2 and HA160D combo.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #63 of 1,995
Ok guys,
I have clocked about 100 - 110 hours hours on my Conductor and I cannot believe how good it sounds now even with my HD800 (they on 160D sounded rather tiny and closed in, in comparison).
Conductor really wakes up my HD800 on bass and presence, on LCD-2 Conductor really shines.
Besides that sound is more liquid than before, like a river flowing in the night.
I finished my review, will post it this evening.
Final conclusions ? Conductor is here to stay :)

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #64 of 1,995
Quote:
Does the DAC in the Conductor click at all when switching bitrates? 

Is the Conductor better for planar magnetic headphones like the LCD2s?  I understand the 160D was not very good for those. I'd be interested in hearing some sound quality/impact impressions on the Conductor with various cans. 

Quote:
Where did you hear that? The HA160D is one of the recommended amps/dacs for the LCD-2.

Quote:
Burson themselves state about the Conductor-
"since the introduction of the HA-160D in 2010, new headphones had flooded the market. We wanted a new headphone amp that can drive them all including the low-efficiency planarmagnetics"
Here - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/burson10/2.html
The 160D outputs .85 watt I believe, which doesn't really cut it for orthodynamics. In the Audeze manual, they recommend an amp at least 1 watt of power and more is even better.

Quote:
Ok, I have read of many HF users satisfied with the LCD-2 and HA160D combo.

I'm assuming the Conductor is much better for orthodynamic as well as high impedance cans since it can output 4 watts.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #65 of 1,995
Quote:

I'm assuming the Conductor is much better for orthodynamic as well as high impedance cans since it can output 4 watts.

Compared to the HiFiMan orthos, modern dynamic cans present a very easy to drive load, regardless of impedance. It's all relative though - planar speakers (e.g Magnepan ribbon and quasi-ribbon) represent a whole other level of 'pain' for amp designers. I suspect that current is the key in both cases.  

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #68 of 1,995
Great review Darku!

Having been to many live concerts in my lifetime, I've been around quite a few years 
bigsmile_face.gif
,  this piece of equipment has brought me closer to what I hear at the venue than any other I've placed into my system.  It's very resolving but gets timbre, tone color, right and, as you indicated, is very neutral.  It will also expose badly recorded music for what it is and vice versa it will reward you with much pleasure on  well recorded music.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #69 of 1,995
160D sounded very nice with planar magnetics, but Soloist and now Conductor kicks them in the butt !
Absolute control over drivers using Conductor.
I have never heard such control on my LCD-2 with other amps.
160D is not shy with planars, but Conductor and Soloist are just better for them. More control, more air, more fluid, more of everything.
I fell in love with Conductor, and best words what a reviewer could say it that he (me) bought it :)
That says a lot.

@Germay0653 glad you liked it.
I'm also attending a lot of live concerts around here (jazz, rock, sometimes even local folk) and I agree with you, after the burn-in period, sound becomes lush and smooth, very relaxing, I can listen to hours without any fatigue.

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #70 of 1,995
Why does the Conductor need a special software to be installed on your computer in order for the DAC to work? Seems like a bit of negative to me. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #71 of 1,995
Phototristan,

The software driver is only for the USB connection.  The coaxial and toslink do not require the driver.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #72 of 1,995
Quote:
Phototristan,

The software driver is only for the USB connection.  The coaxial and toslink do not require the driver.

There are plenty of DACs that can connect via USB that do not require third party software though. Why is it needed on the Burson?

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #73 of 1,995
Quote:

There are plenty of DACs that can connect via USB that do not require third party software though. Why is it needed on the Burson?

Good question !

Conductor is using a special USB module, not a simple USB connection with a simple USB convertor.
USB module inside is looking very much like a M2Tech HiFace
They are using custom drivers for their hardware, generic USB drivers of Windows or Mac OS are quite good but are not made for accurate audio reproduction, that is why serious DAC manufacturers are using custom drivers and custom USB modules.
Burson Conductors USB module also is also not powered by USB power (5V), but by a separate discrete power supply, that is a lot more stable than the PCs noisy 5V USB connection.
USB module also has a low noise clock and a jitter reduction circuit, so in this case custom drivers is the best way to go if you want a no compromise solution.
For the 2 weeks that I had the Conductor, I have compared it's USB connection to a HiFace EVO powered by EVO power supply (battery power),
and Conductor sounded as good ! That is a great achievement in my book, as EVO + EVO power supply is among the best transport there is.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #74 of 1,995
Great review Darku!

I back up everything he said. He gave me the chance to listen to the Conductor at his place. 

I have the Ha-160ds. I went there, thinking there will be a difference, but not a huge difference.

I loved my lcd2s on the ha-160ds, but I always felt these cans can do better.

When i started listening the conductor to the music I know i was shocked
confused.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
..  It was almost like I was listening to the lcd2 for the first time (as Darku said when testing the Soloist) .

On conductor i knew the lcd2s gave their best!

You know that most of the time you listen to a better equipment and say...yes..it is better...but not so big as to pay over 2x the difference. This was not the case. The difference was more than obvious, it was like an elephant in the room. It was a "Shut up and take my money" moment :

It was almost the same feeling I had when running my hd650 on an amp could not drive them properly, before i listened to conductor with LCD2
ir

I am not sure which of the amplifier or dac section of Conductor made this huge difference, but I know that the amplifier gives 4W per channel and my DS only gives 1.

The bass had bigger punch, a lot more controlled (as Darku said: It is like an iron hand is controlling it), the sound was much more relaxed, the separation of instruments excellent, MUCH more details, a much wider soundstage. The sound was flowing with such ease.

The interesting thing is that I listened to HD800 as well on Conductor and I liked it a lot! Much more than on 160-ds. It gave it musicality. I started liking listening to rock on HD800. It was no longer bright. It gave it a bigger bass impact.

It made HD800 much more fun than i knew it to be on HA-160D and HA-160DS .

I think Conductor is truly a masterpiece and i will surely buy one soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back