Burson Composer 3X Performance (ESS9038, DSD512, Bluetooth, balanced output...)
Sep 16, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #121 of 175
I bought a Bifrost 2 a few weeks ago, to use it while I was in the US working. I had left my Composer at home in Spain, and now that I'm back I've been comparing them for a week or so.
I use a Schiit Sys to switch inputs, with both dacs running SE into a Soloist 3XP.
When switching the signature sound of each of them is so obvious, that it's super easy to know which one you're listening to.
The Bifrost 2 has a taller but narrower sound, with a thick midrange that makes it very nice and exciting.
The Composer has a wider soundstage and it's more detailed. Depending on the kind of music you're playing, the difference in detail is more or less obvious, but it's obvious enough.
The rendering of vocals is better in the Composer. Not a little, but a lot better in my opinion.
There seems to be a much lower noise level in the Composer that allows sounds to be more distinct, where it can be a bit blurry in the Bifrost.
Not that I don't like the Bifrost. It's an awesome DAC.
EDIT: I forgot to mention texture. Texture is another area where the Composer excels in comparison to the Bifrost 2.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #122 of 175
More about the comparison between Bifrost 2 and Composer:
I connected the Composer and the Bifrost 2, again single ended, through a Sys, to a Jotunheim 2.
The problem with the Jotunheim 2 is it loses clarity in single ended input (the Soloist is better in SE too than the Jot2), so some of the differences are less obvious.
But take a good recording, with lots of spatial information and air, and the Composer will render all that better.
A couple of albums I've been using are:
Jim O'Rourke – Simple Songs (ALAC, from O'Rourke's Bandcamp store).
Cowboy Junkies – Trinity Sessions (from Tidal).
Both sound very good, specially O'Rourke's.
Where the Bifrost 2 seems to have a slight boost in the lower midrange, the Composer is more neutral. The air that comes through the Composer is nowhere near as present with the Bifrost 2. The echo of piano keys in a song like Half Life Crisis feels more real and physical in the Composer, where it comes off as a bit blurry on the edges in the Bifrost 2.
Differences are more apparent than I'm used to when comparing dacs.
When I use balanced, I can only rely on my memory, I have no A/B balanced switch. I still need to do more balanced comparisons.
So far, I could be happy with any of them. But I think I'd keep the Composer and sell the Bifrost 2. Not that I care for the bluetooth input, I couldn't care less about that. Opamp rolling and the amazing volume control of the Composer are fantastic advantages over the Bifrost 2 (not to mention, of course, the sound).
But both are terrific, TERRIFIC dacs.

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #123 of 175
And here's my last post about the comparison of the Composer to the Bifrost 2.
This time, after doing a long listening session with both dacs in balanced, connected to the Soloist 3X.
I used these albums:
John Barbirolli with the New Philarmonia Orchestra - Mahler's fifth.
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine (remastered)
Mink DeVille - Le Chat Bleu (unremastered Capitol CD)
In Mahler's fifth, I think the Bifrost 2 was more precise in the layering of the orchestra. It offered a better sense of depth. Lachlan, from Passion for sound, says the same in his review of the Bifrost 2. I agree with that.
The Composer was slightly more compressed in depth, but it offers a better and more realistic timbre for instruments.
Devin Townsend's album, I chose it because some tracks are incredibly saturated with guitars. Here the Bifrost really struggled. Where the Bifrost 2 just gave a thick wall of sound, the Composer had no problem separating instruments. The difference wasn't exactly subtle. The Bifrost just couldn't keep up. It still sounded enjoyable, though.
Mink DeVille's album is great, and I love the texture of those tracks. In this case, the Composer rendered better the decay of notes, the echos of guitar sounds in the studio, the air in the recording.
For example, the piano and percussion of Slow Drain sound natural in the Composer in a way that comes off as blurry and airless in the Bifrost 2.
The Composer shines in this aspect. There's really no competition. The Bifrost can sound airy sometimes because details are sometimes blurry, and that blur may come off as "air". But it's not.
My conclusion is:
  • Layering - it is really recording dependent, but with some symphonic music, Bifrost 2 does depth better.
  • Detail, air in the recording, timbre, separation... - all that goes to the Composer.
Which one is better, though? It depends on what you favour, of course. If you don't need the level of detail and you want something thicker, the Bifrost is for you.
If you prefer detail, separation, texture, etc., then the Composer is the one.
And I haven't mentioned dsd, which of course the Bifrost 2 doesn't decode. In dsd, the Composer shines like a motherfxxx. Too bad I only have a handful of dsd recordings. I don't care that much for dsd, so it has never pushed me in any dac's direction. Same with mqa.
Anyway, this is all for this comparison.
Next, me selling the Bifrost 2. It was a pleasure. I've really liked it. But I don't see the point in keeping two dacs.

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #125 of 175
20211218_164905.JPG

Testing the Composer 3x with sparkos ss3602. Interesting difference in comparison with burson vivid 6.
I prefer the sparkos ..4k definition midrange..however

The DAC out from my conductor 3X reference has better sound..much more solid mid channel ..at first comparison.

Fyi.

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #126 of 175
I compared Composer 3X (with vivid opamp) and Yggdrasil LIM these days

Composer/Yggy -> Soloist -> HD800S/He6SE/T1/HD600
Composer/Yggy -> Niimbus US5 Pro -> HD800S/He6SE/T1/HD600

I feel yggy sounds more lush, imaging is slightly better, and bass has a bit more detail. Composer sounds more clear and transparent. Dynamics and treble sounds similar to my ears.

It is quite hard to compare dacs. TBH I don't think I can notice much difference if I don't listen carefully. Overall, I would consider Composer 3X a very cost effective dac (it also has bluetooth and can work as a preamp). I even prefer composer over the yggy when pairing with soloist.

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #128 of 175
The DAC out from my conductor 3X reference has better sound..much more solid mid channel ..at first comparison.
Well, I'm not surprised. Dual DAC vs Single DAC.
I'm waiting for a new amp (Soloist 3XP GT) and will keep Composer as a source.
Hope Burson will come up with Composer Grand Tourer (or whatever the name could be) one day, similar to what the did with Soloist 3XP upgrade.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #130 of 175
I just had my Burson Composer 3x delivered and set it up, connected to my Win 10 PC. First thing of note, the remote doesn't work. Great. I opened it up and took a look inside, it seems fine to me, so... Contacted my dealer and Burson about that one.

Second issue, I can't work out how to get the Composer's display of the sample rate to match the files I'm playing. I know this would be much simpler on a Mac, they just have a much better USB implementation for music.
Currently, the Composer simply displays the output sampling rate I've chosen in the control panel. I've tried it in Foobar2000 and VLC. I downloaded the foobar component (WASAPI) that should allow it to have exclusive access to the DAC, likewise I've enabled exclusive mode in the control panel as well.
If I check the Burson Audio control panel, it says ASIO is not active.
Any ideas? Am I just using the wrong app?

Edit: while writing this post I worked it out. Sorry! You have to change the output device to the ASIO or WASAPI device in Foobar2000 via Preferences -> Playback -> Output -> Device.

Final issue - On the display, does the little icon next to the sample rate flicker for anyone else? It's just that icon that flickers, none of the others. It doesn't really bother me, but my gf picked up on it instantly. (stupid electrical engineers)

Edit 2: Yes, it does apparently according to posts #51-54

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #131 of 175
Hopefully it's okay if I make a second post to talk about my setup and experiences rather than gripes and annoyances.

Currently I'm using the RCA out to an inherited integrated amp by Arcam - an FMJ A22, circa 2000. It's rated at about 100W, then to my KEF LS50s which I'm using as desktop speakers. Maybe a bit overkill for nearfield listening and I used to have these KEFs on stands in my living room until I moved. Now I'm thinking of moving again in the near future and going for tower speakers, but that's another story and will require a different setup.
Anyway, I've also bought a Topping PA5, that balanced Class D wonder amp that's making waves over on AudioScienceReview. I know it's a bit weak for the low sensitivity KEFs but I'm hoping it'll be fine when I'm not more than 3 feet from the speaker drivers. I'll switch to XLR cables and then use the Composer's RCA out into my powered sub.

I also plan to get a new headamp to replace my aging Burson Audio HA-160DS. Something lower power than that hot Class A toaster. Something as transparent as possible so the Composer's sound comes through. Pairing suggestions welcome. I will say though, I prefer the volume knob on my older Burson gear. It's not stepped, but it's bigger and Smooth with a capital S.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #135 of 175
First thing of note, the remote doesn't work. Great. I opened it up and took a look inside, it seems fine to me, so... Contacted my dealer and Burson about that one.
Try a new battery. My Conductor 3's remote came with a dead battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back