Burson Composer 3X Performance (ESS9038, DSD512, Bluetooth, balanced output...)
Feb 28, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #91 of 175
They're rubbish at replying to emails though. Really not impressed at all.

It’s a hit and miss in my experience. There are times when they replied promptly and other times they didn’t reply at all. So yeah they need to improve on that aspect.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #96 of 175
Agreed. Exvellent at responding to emails and service in general
Let me clarify my response. Rapid replies, always helpful and they go the extra yard. You get extra dip 8 connectors with your conductor 3 ref (and probably other op amp using products ) so if you want to use other brands of opamps that aren't dip 8 you can solder them into the spare dip 8 connectors so they become plug and play changable. How many companies whose reputation is built on op amps would encourage and help you to use other brand opamps?

Quietly Confident but understated in the quality of their products. Really honest. Just outstanding to deal with. I don't know where their offices and production is based. I assumed head office is in melbourne Australia. They had a serious lockdown for much of last year so if they took time to reply that could be the reason so I'd cut them some slack. Also time zones. If they are in OZ or hong kong similar time zone.

Then covid. We should cut everyone some slack due to covid.

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #98 of 175
Has anyone gotten the Burson audio driver or the Composer 3XP to show a sample rate other than 44100 hz? I tried a 352khz DSD file today in Foobar 2000 on Windows 10 and I was surprised that the sample rate did not increase at all.

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #99 of 175
Has anyone gotten the Burson audio driver or the Composer 3XP to show a sample rate other than 44100 hz? I tried a 352khz DSD file today in Foobar 2000 on Windows 10 and I was surprised that the sample rate did not increase at all.

I’m using a DAP (Hiby R8) as the digital transport and Composer can play DXD (352kHz) & DSD512.

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #101 of 175
I wonder if it's a limitation of the Windows audio driver then. That's the only way I've fed the Composer and I can't seem to get the driver's control panel to ever show a different sample rate.
Nope, it was user error. Burson got back to me with how to do it. In Windows 10, search "sound", go to "Sound Settings", click "Device Properties" then "Additional Device Properties". On the popup, click the "Advanced" tab, then choose from the "Default Format" dropdown. I'm now running 32 bit, 384 KHz because why not? :)

It's a Windows property that appears to pass through to the Burson driver.

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #102 of 175
Hey all, has anyone used the microphone input on the Composer 3XP? I can't get it to detect any sound from my mic on Windows 10. I see that Windows detects the Composer as a USB PnP Audio Device in the Recording section of the sound control panel and I select it as the default recording device.

Things I've tried:
  1. Connecting the microphone directly to the back of the Composer 3XP.
  2. Connecting the mic directly to the back of the Composer using the included headphone/mic splitter.
  3. Connecting the mic input on the Composer to the Soloist 3XP mic pass-through input on the back with a 3.5mm male to male cable and connecting the microphone directly to the front of the Soloist.
  4. Same as #3 but using the headphone/mic splitter and connecting just the mic to the mic part of the splitter.
  5. Tried it with and without the Burson USB drivers.
    • Note that even with the drivers the recording device shows up as a generic "USB PnP Audio Device" where as the playback device appears as "Burson Audio XMOS USB"
  6. Tested the mic connected straight to the PC to make sure it works and it does.
😅 This is kicking my :peach:

UPDATE (FIXED):

Simply unplugging and re-plugging the USB-C cable from the back of the Composer fixed it. Funny, reinstalling drivers and rebooting the PC didn't fix it but this did. Also, if I disabled and re-enabled the recording device in Windows then it would stop working. Once disabled it wouldn't work until I re-plugged the USB cable.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #103 of 175
So this looks like a very nice unit with great specs and a discrete output stage. I'm sure the sound is fantastic.

Now, what I don't like is the way you're marketing.....by putting down other manufacturers with "...tube output stages in parallel with solid state, and little portholes to peer into to see the glowing tubes, and DSP trickery...etc." You can't lift yourself up by putting others down.

The Performance 3X looks like a dog and it's a no frills/higher performance unit. That's fine! Performance is king. Let your product stand on it's own merit and let the community defend it. You don't have to go on the offensive by getting down in the dirt.
I had the same reaction when I first read the piece. I have no problem comparing a product to the competition. In fact, I would love if more manufacturers did it. What I don't like is the tone in which it was written.

I don't know who writes copy for Burson but the engineers better get someone who can write respectfully. In fact, they should get someone who can write. I was pretty disappointed reading the copy on discreet Opamps https://www.bursonaudio.com/about-us/discrete-circuits/. It is full of spelling and grammatical errors. In some instances it expresses points quite badly. It has the flavor of being translated by computer.

Anyone with decent English writing skills can pick out the errors. Wasn't it proof-read by someone at Burson? That they make great products is without a doubt. I own several. That they are careless in how they write about them is embarrassing. I would venture that whoever wrote the page I linked to above wrote the same copy that tears into the competition. Bad writing is common. Failure to correct it is unbecoming of a professional organization.

May 9, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #104 of 175
The Hiby R6 2020 has one of the same DACs used in the Composer per channel. My question is whether or not there is anything to be gained by using the Composer (single DAC) as a DAC vs the Hiby? If I do not buy the Composer, would connect the Hiby balanced line output to the Soloist's XLR balanced input. If this is not a good idea, the alternate plan is to connect the Hiby coaxial output to the Composer with the obvious connection from the Composer to the Soloist.

Any advice would be appreciated.

May 9, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #105 of 175
DAP is just a DAP, it cannot compete with a good desktop DAC regardless the number of dac chips inside it since implementation is the key as everybody knows. I really doubt that any DAP can outperform the Composer.
I remember I tried cayin n6ll line out with violectric amp in the past - no, it could not compete with violectric v800 dac, no way. I tried idsd Diablo as a pure dac with Soloist - no, Composer is superior.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back