Burson Composer 3X Performance (ESS9038, DSD512, Bluetooth, balanced output...)
Jan 14, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #136 of 175
Can anyone who has the Composer tell me how to use it in Bluetooth mode? I currently am using a Chromecast Audio puck via Toslink and streaming wirelessly, but I am curious about Bluetooth - just can't get it to show up. I've attached the supplied antenna.

Also - for some reason when I play a DSD file (via Roon controlled by an iDevice) the screen on the Composer shows PCM. Any idea why it wouldn't be showing PCM? Thanks.

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #137 of 175
did you try to change to the Bluetooth input? Its off until you switch to bluetooth

Jan 23, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #138 of 175
For those who have the Soloist and Composer stack: how are you finding the situation with the remote control? It looks like both devices have an identical remote control so if you have them stacked, you wouldn't be able to operate one without affecting the other. Unless I am missing something, that is pretty silly given that they are meant to go with each other / be stacked.

What also surprised me is that the volume knob of the Composer is actually not meant to control the DAC - only works in pre-amp mode. This is not mentioned in the manual (which is a bit scant) and I thought initially that I got a defective unit! Then I saw that mentioned in a Youtube review (there are not many of them for the Composer itself sadly) when I was just thinking of returning it.

I love the sounds coming out of my new Burson stack but I feel like Burson can do better when it comes to the overall user experience of their service / products.

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #139 of 175
With Soloist + Composer combo you control the volume only of one of them:
- you control Soloist when the Composer in a DAC Out mode
- or you control the Composer when the Soloist in a Headphone power amp mode

The issue can happen in case you want to change a source with a remote control, both devices may react on it)

Jan 23, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #140 of 175
With Soloist + Composer combo you control the volume only of one of them:
- you control Soloist when the Composer in a DAC Out mode
- or you control the Composer when the Soloist in a Headphone power amp mode

The issue can happen in case you want to change a source with a remote control, both devices may react on it)
yes that's it. I guess, it is not a big deal but it is a bit baffling

Jan 23, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #141 of 175
I used 2 layers of black electric tape on the soloist ir port. My soloist is mostly running in power amp mode anyway. But sometimes use the pre out, wish they would lower the amount of time you need to hold down the menu button to switch from normal to power amp mode.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #142 of 175
And here's my last post about the comparison of the Composer to the Bifrost 2.
This time, after doing a long listening session with both dacs in balanced, connected to the Soloist 3X.
I used these albums:
John Barbirolli with the New Philarmonia Orchestra - Mahler's fifth.
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine (remastered)
Mink DeVille - Le Chat Bleu (unremastered Capitol CD)
In Mahler's fifth, I think the Bifrost 2 was more precise in the layering of the orchestra. It offered a better sense of depth. Lachlan, from Passion for sound, says the same in his review of the Bifrost 2. I agree with that.
The Composer was slightly more compressed in depth, but it offers a better and more realistic timbre for instruments.
Devin Townsend's album, I chose it because some tracks are incredibly saturated with guitars. Here the Bifrost really struggled. Where the Bifrost 2 just gave a thick wall of sound, the Composer had no problem separating instruments. The difference wasn't exactly subtle. The Bifrost just couldn't keep up. It still sounded enjoyable, though.
Mink DeVille's album is great, and I love the texture of those tracks. In this case, the Composer rendered better the decay of notes, the echos of guitar sounds in the studio, the air in the recording.
For example, the piano and percussion of Slow Drain sound natural in the Composer in a way that comes off as blurry and airless in the Bifrost 2.
The Composer shines in this aspect. There's really no competition. The Bifrost can sound airy sometimes because details are sometimes blurry, and that blur may come off as "air". But it's not.
My conclusion is:
  • Layering - it is really recording dependent, but with some symphonic music, Bifrost 2 does depth better.
  • Detail, air in the recording, timbre, separation... - all that goes to the Composer.
Which one is better, though? It depends on what you favour, of course. If you don't need the level of detail and you want something thicker, the Bifrost is for you.
If you prefer detail, separation, texture, etc., then the Composer is the one.
And I haven't mentioned dsd, which of course the Bifrost 2 doesn't decode. In dsd, the Composer shines like a motherfxxx. Too bad I only have a handful of dsd recordings. I don't care that much for dsd, so it has never pushed me in any dac's direction. Same with mqa.
Anyway, this is all for this comparison.
Next, me selling the Bifrost 2. It was a pleasure. I've really liked it. But I don't see the point in keeping two dacs.
Thank you very much for the detailed review between Composer and Biforest2. I really enjoyed reading your comparison. And it was exactly what I was looking for when I couldn't decide between composer and Bifrost2. I realized that I'm not going to like Bifrost2 over Composer because I like detailed and wide soundstage with good separation.
My Composer arrived yesterday. Now it is connected with Soloist. This is my end game now:)
Have you tried power amp mode? What do you think? I didn't like it. Normal headphone mode was smoother. Maybe I need to try more or should adjust something in the setting.

Feb 13, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #143 of 175
Surprisingly, not many of us here discuss the sound quality of Composer. Compared to other high end DACs, it is hard to find reviews on YouTube or other resources. I could only find 2 from YouTube (one of them was speaker person, not headphone) and 2 from some website, and probably 2 in here.
I use Composer with Soloist. I use Arya and 800s. I'm satisfied with Composer of course because I'm from an entry level DAC (Zen DAC). How was your experience with Composer compared with other DAC? I have to make the final decision before the 30 days return time is over. I will stay with it for a long time once the decision is made. With my lack of experience, I don't want to regret later. I understand that everyone's listening tastes can be different, but still can anyone share your experiences with Composer regarding the sound quality compared to other DAC in this level?

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #144 of 175
Surprisingly, not many of us here discuss the sound quality of Composer. Compared to other high end DACs, it is hard to find reviews on YouTube or other resources. I could only find 2 from YouTube (one of them was speaker person, not headphone) and 2 from some website, and probably 2 in here.
I use Composer with Soloist. I use Arya and 800s. I'm satisfied with Composer of course because I'm from an entry level DAC (Zen DAC). How was your experience with Composer compared with other DAC? I have to make the final decision before the 30 days return time is over. I will stay with it for a long time once the decision is made. With my lack of experience, I don't want to regret later. I understand that everyone's listening tastes can be different, but still can anyone share your experiences with Composer regarding the sound quality compared to other DAC in this level?
Don’t worry, the Composer 3XP is a competent DAC and you will probably not require another one for a long time. You could always work up your way to more expensive DACs, but the question is, if this worth the price and audible at all. I do have pricier models in my stable, but significant difference(if any) in sound quality is not related to price differences.
I also had several other DACs in similar price range of the Composer 3XP that did not much better or different (sold for example Musician Pegasus, RME ADI-2 DAC, Cayin iDAC-6 MK2, M2Tech Young MKIII). Last but not least the Composer fits optically very good to the Soloist (what a surprise🙄).

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #145 of 175
Don’t worry, the Composer 3XP is a competent DAC and you will probably not require another one for a long time. You could always work up your way to more expensive DACs, but the question is, if this worth the price and audible at all. I do have pricier models in my stable, but significant difference(if any) in sound quality is not related to price differences.
I also had several other DACs in similar price range of the Composer 3XP that did not much better or different (sold for example Musician Pegasus, RME ADI-2 DAC, Cayin iDAC-6 MK2, M2Tech Young MKIII). Last but not least the Composer fits optically very good to the Soloist (what a surprise🙄).
Hi, your signature reads Burson Composer 3x and Gustard X26.Pro both. How would you say they compare?

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #146 of 175
I wonder if Burson will be doing a GT version of the Composer 3X, like they did with the Soloist... Just ordered a Soloist 3X GT and I will probably be looking for a DAC to go with it before year-end.

Apr 10, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #147 of 175
The Composer DAC is great. To do much better is expensive. I have a Chord Qutest in my home office system. If I was going to upgrade the Burson Dac in my loungeroom system I'd get another one. Although People spend far too much time agonising over DACs when they are one of the less important parts of the system to change.

Apr 11, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #148 of 175
I wonder if Burson will be doing a GT version of the Composer 3X, like they did with the Soloist... Just ordered a Soloist 3X GT and I will probably be looking for a DAC to go with it before year-end.
That was my question to Burson too. No clear answer yet...Let's hope and see.)

May 22, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #150 of 175
Hello, I'm using the Soloist 3XP, and Ifi Zen Dac v2 ( as a DAC). I'm currently using a Hifiman He1000v2. I'm looking for a dac upgrade around the Composer 3xp budget. I found the Soloist 3XP+IfiZen to be very harsh on the top end, to the point that it hurts my ears for the first few minutes of using it. They are very resolving but I can feel a bit of sibilant. Would replacing the Dac with the Composer 3XP helps? or should I look for a warmer alternative like the Bitfrost 2 or the Denafrips Ares? thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back