Burn-in two portable amps in chain set-up, can this be done?
Jul 13, 2007 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Wotan1

100+ Head-Fier
Because of a 'small' shoot-out i'm now in the position that i need to burn-in both a Hornet and a Move. If possible i want to use my radio as the source.

Is it possible to use the following set up?

Radio>line-in Hornet>HP-out>line-in Move>HP.

The Move will receive an amped signal from the Hornet. My feel is this can be done, but better be save then sorry? Please be so kind to share your thoughts.

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 10
I can't see why you can't..
icon10.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 10
Why would you want to is the question. You dont need to actually connect anything to an amp to burn it in, just turn it on.

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you want to is the question. You dont need to actually connect anything to an amp to burn it in, just turn it on.

Some feel that the amp has to be actually driving cans to break-in properly.
I know I do. Fluctuating current flow and all that...as opposed to just sitting there at a constant state. Seems logical to *me*.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Why wire in series? Why not just use a Y adapter and run them in parallel from the same source?

I agree that burn in definitely needs a load and that it's risky to run the Hornet output into the Move. Keep em in parallel (a Y adapter and a basic mini-2-mini are not expensive.
wink.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wotan1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of a 'small' shoot-out i'm now in the position that i need to burn-in both a Hornet and a Move. If possible i want to use my radio as the source.

Is it possible to use the following set up?

Radio>line-in Hornet>HP-out>line-in Move>HP.

The Move will receive an amped signal I guess from the Hornet. My feel is this can be done, but better be save then sorry? Please be so kind to share your thoughts.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 10
You definitely need a source and headphone connected to the amp. Check Ray explaining on this post.
I think it's OK to connect the Hornet headphone out to the MOVE line in. You won't get a good audio quality out of the MOVE, once the signal would be amplified twice. But, as long as you don't listen to the headphone connected on the MOVE, you're good ...

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 active ground channel amps in series might not be a good thing. From what I've read a bit ago, I think the only scenario you would want to avoid is using a buffered virtual ground amp as a preamp.

I think that's only the case if the amp is connected to a power cord. I don't see how there would be a problem if the amps are running on battery power, and there is no other ground connection (through the amp chassis, etc).

That said, the amp that's only passing the signal to the other amp won't be seeing much of a load. So in this scenario, the Hornet would not be properly burned-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back