Burn-in myth
Jan 23, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #61 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people even say that you have to let a cable or cord re-burn in after you unplug it for countless hours.

Well, you have to reheat french fries after they get cold so why not cables?
rolleyes.gif

I just ran pink noise through my K701 and HD650 for a week. I just put on some music and I did notice a difference. The difference was that the music I listened to sounded better than pink noise.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #62 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn in just does not exist. I burnt in my new Audio Technicas for 24 hours and they sound much worse. At 450º -- am I doing it wrong?

my k518 needs about 2-3 weeks of burn in to be noticed so dont expect to hear burn-in from only 24 hours

they sound worse? now there's something wrong there

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #63 of 150
Quote:

I don't know if you meant that as a joke or not, but I have a friend (a serious, knowledgeable audiophile) who says something similar, in all seriousness. His answer is that it's not the component that changes, but rather it's the perception of the sound that changes. In other words, you become accustomed to the sound and begin to appreciate it. The changes are in your brain -- in your perception of the sound -- rather than in the sound itself.

Anecdotally this is unlikely. Lots of people have auditioned well-worn test units or well-loved cans from there friends, and end up buying a new pair. The new pair sounds nothing like what they auditioned, then they burn them in for a week and viola there is the coveted sound of their memories!

Oh, and clergymen should be run out of business, I believe they are useless.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #64 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Agree. What we have here is a bunch of groupthink and it stinks. Burn-in could be real. I have no idea. I don't much believe in it, but what do I know. What I do know is that we have people here saying the equivalent of "Burn it in until you agree with everyone else. And if you don't agree with everyone else, then not enough burn-in."

It needs to stop.

What the hell? I'm the only one in this entire thread that gave any scientific evidence......

As long you have evidence (that's not anecdotal and subjective) to back up your claims / beliefs.....

I'm the only one that's done that tbh in this thread.
It is real but as Mr. Green said, it's very much log in pattern (in terms of dynamic transducer based systems).

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #65 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about them exactly?

What you think burn-in is contradicts what chinesewiki's links suggest. I was wondering if you had anything to say about that.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #66 of 150
Quote:

Burn in just does not exist. I burnt in my new Audio Technicas for 24 hours and they sound much worse. At 450º -- am I doing it wrong?

Hint: you're not supposed to use a toaster

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #69 of 150
Quote:

No sir, you've just proven burn in does exist. For the sound to change at all shows that burn in exists. Simply chuck the headphones and get another pair that suites your tastes better.

Thank you for once again proving that burn in exists.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #70 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my k518 needs about 2-3 weeks of burn in to be noticed so dont expect to hear burn-in from only 24 hours

they sound worse? now there's something wrong there

he was being sarcastic my friend

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #71 of 150
Quote:

My favorite Picasso painting is the Three Musicians.

But I am unable to provide scientific evidence for this.

Subjective opinion is one thing.
Stating that subjective opinion as scientific fact without scientific evidence is another.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #72 of 150
This has been hashed over a thousand times before...please stop the madness!

But for the record I do believe in burn in...I've heard a difference in all my new cans and speakers that I've bought over the years...couldn't help myself...now let's please move onto something more interesting!
confused_face.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #74 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen! (i.e. just ignore this thread, easy to do but curiosity is annoying isn't it? :p)

It's what killed the cat!

Curiosity...not headphone burn in!
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #75 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard burn-in on headphones yet, but even just with the theory of burn-in, frequency response is about the least likely measure of sound quality to change over time with the same headphone. Ham Sandwich has it -- if burn-in is caused by the mechanical parts of a headphone driver loosening up, then the most likely aspect of the sound to change is the timing of the sounds: the attack, the sustain, and so on.

Now this makes sense to me!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back