"Burn In" for New Denon D2000
Aug 26, 2010 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sludog1

New Head-Fier
simple question that no doubt has been answered on here before, but...

Just got my new Denon's and lovin them.  Hooked through to my STX, these things are better than I could have imagined.  Alot of peeps got different opinions on this "burn in" process, so I'm just wondering a couple things for these d2000s

a)  how long
b)  best audio to use

thx
peace
slu

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Just play any kind of music you like at normal volume levels. You will start hearing improvements when they reach 50 hours of burn in. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 5
Use normal music at a normal volume.  If you want you can use some bass heavy music, but again at a normal listening volume.

I think if there is a burn-in effect with the Denon that it is done by the 40 hour mark.  I think there might be a difference in bass accuracy and detail after the burn-in, but I'm not sure.  Just my ears listening to them back when I had them new.

My advice would be to burn them in while listening.  It's more fun that way.  See if you notice a difference between what they sound like now and what they sound like after 40 hours. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 5
good stuff, thanks alot for the advice.  These are my first REAL set of headphones and I'm impressed with them right out of the box.  I was thinkin that normal volume would be best but its hard to keep it down when all the tunes sound so good, dam, there earlier I could feel the bass thumpin on the side of my head haha! lovin it!  but I am kind of interested to see if there will be a difference with them after the burn in.

again thx

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 5
Careful with the volume.  If you can feel the bass pounding (it tickles) you can easily be in the 90dB to 100dB range or  even more.  The D2000 can tickle the ears and the side of the head, but it's too loud if it does.

If you want some fun try Angel by Massive Attack.  At 100 dB it tickles the jowls.  But be careful, the Denon can get way over 110 dB with that song if your amp can do it without clipping.  I'm using C-weighting (dBC) because C weighting covers the bass frequencies.  A-weighting would give a lot lower dB level for that song.

For bass changes listen for how long the bass lingers after a note or attack.  Also listen for how quick the bass on the attack of a note.  The hope is that burn-in gets the bass to linger less and be faster on the attack.  Find a song that has clear bass where you can hear the finger plucks on the strings or similar details in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back