burn-in experiment... (proof)
Feb 10, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #16 of 64
Another point is that, almost invariably, the longer burn in period "required" the more non-neutral the headphone was to begin with. K701's have a crazy long burn in period precisely because they're so tilted towards the high frequencies and they're so artificially detailed. It takes the brain a while to reconcile that. Same thing for Grados. They're not a very neutral headphone and it takes the brain quite a bit of time to reconcile that. The less the sound sounds like your brain thinks it should sound, the longer it takes to adjust it all.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #18 of 64
Darn...when I read the title of this thread I thought there was definitive proof one way or the other.
As such is it just another one of many threads talking about an old debate.
Sighs... and cracks open a can of Coke.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #19 of 64
There are three myths (none has been proven scientifically) of making a headphone sound 'better':

1- Burn-in
2- Cable Upgrade
3- physical modification

There are three facts of making a headphone sound better:

1- A high quality source
2- A headphone amp
3- High Quality recordings

Now its up to the hobbyists whether they wish to start of with the three myths or the three facts. Those who start with three myths, will forever search for the 'ideal sound' while those who have started with three facts find a single headphone which synergies with their system and enjoy their music.

It is as simple as that, but group-think, peer-pressure and not to mention high priests of audio voodoo are the obstacles that must be overcome if one wants to enjoy this hobby rather than obsess about it.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are three myths (none has been proven scientifically) of making a headphone sound 'better':

1- Burn-in
2- Cable Upgrade
3- physical modification

There are three facts of making a headphone sound better:

1- A high quality source
2- A headphone amp
3- High Quality recordings

Now its up to the hobbyists whether they wish to start of with the three myths or the three facts. Those who start with three myths, will forever search for the 'ideal sound' while those who have started with three facts find a single headphone which synergies with their system and enjoy their music.

It is as simple as that, but group-think, peer-pressure and not to mention high priests of audio voodoo are the obstacles that must be overcome if one wants to enjoy this hobby rather than obsess about it.

I really like your post. I think that the quality of the recording, as well as source and amplification will go a long way. However, I would like to disagree with one of your myths. #3 Physical Modification. If you are doing a physical modification, it is most likely going to have some impact to the sound. I.E. adding damping materials, swapping drivers, stuffing pads, changing pads, etc... You are changing the physical design of the headphone, this is going to change the sound.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #22 of 64
Here is proof from a recent thread:

testfull.jpg

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #23 of 64
I am not going to comment your thoughts about burn-in.

I do strongly believe in burn-in, or what ever you like to call it.

I got the DT770/80 phones in the beginning of january. They sounded great at first, but when i really started giving the sound some more attention, i discovered that the left bass-end was dramatically "resonating". (Sorry for poor describing) I was really afraid, that the element was broken or something, but decided to try to "burn the phones in".
I let them play music for 100 hours, and then gave them a try.
I tested the different requencies by playing single files with only one frequency at a time. I still got this really powerfull buzzz-noise while playing them, all the way from about 20Hz to 4kHz. But it was still only on the left side. I even made sure, that the problem is the element, not my ears, by flipping the phones wrong way, and by listening to one side of the phones at a time (/with a one ear at a time).
After this, I let the phones play some music for another 100 hours. When I next time put them on, I was amazed: the strangely highlighted bass-line was gone, and both sides felt to be in perfect balance. Since that, the frequencies have been in a balance on both sides. I have now listened over 500 hours of music with these cans, and I just couldn't be more satisfied.

(sorry for the possible typos)

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the strongest proof against burn-in is that manufacturers don't do it.

I hate to contradict you, but many manufacturers "endorse" burn in/break in. To name a few: Halcro, Kharma, Spectral, Sonus Faber, Thiel, and I can mention many more...

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #25 of 64
Some people are cynical of burn-in. I on the other hand find it odd how people don't believe it's relevant for some models.

I mean, why do people on the IEM forums consistently cite burn in for dynamic phones, but almost never for balanced armature phones? Why is it some models are said to change substantially with burn in while others aren't.

I think there is certainly a mental aspect to burn-in, but to deny it for all headphones is quite silly imo. Check out the RX700, 95% of the people will cite the effect of burn-in. Heck, some have even A/Bed a burned in RX700 with a non burned in one! With me, i definitely noticed it. My sister never heard about burn in before, and when she head the RX700 the first time she thought the FC700 I had bought her was way superior(so did I). I listened on the burn in process and noticed substantial changes. My sister did not listen, and when she put them on a week later she noted they sounded like a totally different headphone(on the same track mind you).

I really don't get how you can deny burn-in for some cans. Maybe not all of them, but for some I think it's pretty obvious.

To add to the above post, maximo also endorses burn-in =P

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #26 of 64
^ Some people are cynical because every argument made to support burn-in still boils down to human perception. Unless there is physical evidence of changes to the drivers that could account for a change in sound reproduction, skeptics will continue to discredit these theories as psychological.

If you grant that there is a mental aspect to burn-in, then how do you distinguish it from "real" burn-in? You said you listened to the process and noticed changes; that sounds like a paradigm of psychological burn-in. Even if you A/B a brand new headphone with a "burned in" one, you still haven't proven anything. There are just too many intervening variables: aural memory, placebo effect, quality control of the headphone manufacturer, etc.

There's nothing wrong with believing in burn-in, but it's quite understandable that a lack of evidence supporting these claims will lead many to question their credibility.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #27 of 64
Why doesn't anyone compare a burn-in headphone with a brand new one? I think that is the easiest way of proving the burn-in myth.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #28 of 64
I and many other head-fiers have wondered this as well.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #29 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why doesn't anyone compare a burn-in headphone with a brand new one? I think that is the easiest way of proving the burn-in myth.

no two headphones (even same model) sound exactly the same, so that comparison won't be valid.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #30 of 64
The argument that you get used to them is not correct. I have a regular system that I have listened to for years and a pair of HD 580's on loan while my new HD600's were breaking in.

I did not like the 600's at first and preferred the 580's. After a few hundred hours the 600's started to sound like the 580's (less bright, more instrument separation). If I was just "adjusting" I should have started to think that the 580's sounded muffled and that my main system, that I have had for years, should also start to sound muffled as I became "used" to the increased treble. I listened to the 600's, then ran them for a few days, then listened again, then ran them for several more days. If I was adjusting it would be difficult as I was not listening to them for hours every day.

I also listen to a lot of vinyl, so my turntables should also have started to sound muffled because I was "re-learning" to adjust to my new phones.

Manufacturers will not burn in equipment because it is expensive. Ever been to an audio show? Most manufactuers can't get their equipment burnt in for the shows and most room sound terrible (bright). They are too busy and usually just get whatever comes off the assembly line, fresh out of the box. Shows are notorius for having bad sound, and there are a lot of shows where I live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back