Building Custom Wood Over-Ear Headphones
May 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

flman16

New Head-Fier
New to the site and I have a quick question. My father is a custom furniture maker and we have decided to use the speakers/electronics in a pair of headphones to make a custom pair of wooden over-ear headphones. Is there anywhere to find a how to or tips and best practices. He has and incredible skill to manipulate the wood but this is his first shot at headphones. Any suggestions?

May 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd take a look at a bunch of the grado "woodies" out there and start with something like that.
Here's a good example of *very* well done Grado woodies:
http://www.martincustomaudio.com/

You can pretty much build them from scratch by using Magnum drivers. However, you will most likely have to buy the Grado headband.

If you wanted, you could even make a little business of making Grado woodie cups (or even Denon and T50rp cups) if the price is right. At the moment, it's pretty expensive to purchase them.

May 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Awesome...Thanks for the link. I was told that cup size and dimensions would play a huge factor in the sound quality. Should be keeping similar dimensions to the original headphones.

does anyone know where I can buy the headband and connecting hardware? I was originally thinking that the headband would be wood (this whole idea stemmed from a wine bottle holder that he made that is curved and holds the wine bottle sideways) but now I'm thinking that it would be just as cool to have the ear cups wood and the headband leather, maybe chrome hardware. does anyone know where I could buy the headband and hardware?

May 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Awesome...Thanks for the link. I was told that cup size and dimensions would play a huge factor in the sound quality. Should be keeping similar dimensions to the original headphones.

does anyone know where I can buy the headband and connecting hardware? I was originally thinking that the headband would be wood (this whole idea stemmed from a wine bottle holder that he made that is curved and holds the wine bottle sideways) but now I'm thinking that it would be just as cool to have the ear cups wood and the headband leather, maybe chrome hardware. does anyone know where I could buy the headband and hardware?

Unfortunately, you'd probably have to buy a broken SR60i or something to be able to get the hardware, unless you made it yourself (is there a wood durable enough for that that can also be bent?)
I do believe someone on Head-Fi's for-sale section is selling a headband with gimbals, but that's only half of the full headband assembly.

If you wanted to add a bit of extra comfort and looks to it, I'd also look at a 3rd party leather headband, like the Manta:
http://headphonelounge.com/products/grado-headbands/

Another idea would be making a pair of T50rp woodies. Smeggy makes some beautiful Thunderpants (his rendition of woodie T50rp's):

May 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 8
Another great link. Thanks so much. do you know if the connecting hardware comes with the headband. I think this will be the most challenging piece to the entire assembly. If not, do you know of any where I could buy the whole set or just the connecting hardware?

May 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Another great link. Thanks so much. do you know if the connecting hardware comes with the headband. I think this will be the most challenging piece to the entire assembly. If not, do you know of any where I could buy the whole set or just the connecting hardware?

You mean with the Mantis? Unfortunately it doesn't, it simply comes with the leather headband cover.
I'd look around for someone selling a broken grado for cheap, then work from there. That would give you everything you need and cups to check measurements and such (plus you may need to use the ear-side cup from the stock grado which is what holds the driver). You could put up a wanted ad on Head-Fi if you wanted as well.

For the drivers, you could either use the stock grado drivers, or to bring the sound to the next level, you could pick up a pair of Magnum drivers from Symphones, which should cost around $130 for the pair. You can email rhydon@symphones.ca to get a pair.

May 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 8
So assuming the connection from the ear piece to headband can be build from wood, do you know of anywhere to buy a headband (pad and hardware) It doesn't have to be top of the line just something that will look good with the maple ear cups. I don't think bending the wood would be the most efficient way to solve that. If I could find a headband I could figure out a way to attach it to the wooden ear cups. Preferable matching leather pad

May 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
So assuming the connection from the ear piece to headband can be build from wood, do you know of anywhere to buy a headband (pad and hardware) It doesn't have to be top of the line just something that will look good with the maple ear cups. I don't think bending the wood would be the most efficient way to solve that. If I could find a headband I could figure out a way to attach it to the wooden ear cups. Preferable matching leather pad

Other than buying a broken grado, I don't, sorry. From what I know, that's the only way to pick one up.
The brown Mantis leather pad could match the woodies, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back