Building a Headphone Measurement Lab
Apr 10, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #32 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need to test the impact of beer on headphones too, so pack a keg.

eekers.gif

Can't believe this isn't already on the list.

Fxt!

drink.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #33 of 355
This is going to be a great tool for those of us who don't get to hear a headphone before getting them, and also to get to know our headphones better. Nice to see you in action Tyll.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #34 of 355
Measurements of Stax, AKG K1000s, Sony QUALIA 010, JH Audio phones???

How long til you ready to post curves?

-

Who is this, if not Wolfgang, Hans, or Fritz? Maybe Jack?

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #35 of 355
Looking forward to the outcomes of this project, keep up the great work Tyll!

A thing that I would be interested in, that partially touches the burn-in measurement request, is measurements of several phones of the same type, to see how large the variations are. Differing views of the sound quality and charateristics can often be explained by different ears and needs, but sometimes I get the feeling that variations in phones might be the explanation. The unique graphs you can get for the HD800s at least tells a story in that direction.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #36 of 355
Tyll, just a thought: Have you contacted John Atkinson at Stereophile magazine for measurement advice? Stereophile has been supportive of the headphone hobby over the years and I bet John would be willing to help in some way! He's been measuring exotic stuff forever!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #37 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll, just a thought: Have you contacted John Atkinson at Stereophile magazine for measurement advice?

Or better still... go in the other direction and offer your services to them... with a view to making some money out of it!

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #41 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That almost sounds like you might be willing to make public your captures so anyone can download and check out the raw data, if that's the case, count me as one of the people doing back flips with excitement.

Ahh, yes, well there will be some strings attached to the raw data. I'm not sure exactly what they will be yet, that will have to be worked out in detail with the Board of Directors. There are some non-compete clauses with HeadRoom that will have to be navigated. Also, I paid a good deal for the gear, and while I want it to strongly benefit the community, I will also have to have some income streams as a consultant which may require some protection of the data.

But! There will be access to the raw data by a team of hobbyists who will work to make it interpretable (you may want to participate with that effort), and there may be a limited set of headphones which have raw data published so that a wider number of folks will have a chance to play with the data for themselves.

There will certainly be an opportunity for members to get their own personal headphones measured as a pay service and, of course, then you will get a complete spreadsheet of data.

I know this may sound a bit disappointing, but I promise there are some killer graphing packages out there that will allow hobbyists to do some cool things with the measurements like subtract one graph from another so you can see the difference between headphones.

Check out this website as an example of some of the cool graphing tools that are becoming available.

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #43 of 355
I think it was Dread who asked about the effect of the chamber walls on open headphone acoustics, where reflections might get back into the cans and they certainly do. Just not a lot.

Here's the FR of Senn HD800 in on the head in different positions in the box:

832697222_Gzajz-S.jpg
832696848_2peQ2-S.jpg

832697655_9NM4w-S.jpg

Here's the graph.

835038925_W2Vjt-M.jpg

Here's a day later with the acoustic treatment in the box.

835038860_r4P4v-M.jpg

Looks like there's a bit less bumps and wiggles between 500Hz and 6kHz

Here's FR measurements of four headphones.

835105586_TTANU-M.jpg

The rise in FR between 2kHz and 5-8kHz is due to the Head Related Transfer Function of the head. By the time flat sound in the outside world reaches you eardrums, there's a peakyness to it, just like the above.

We're gonna talk about this frequency response curve a LOT.
nod.gif

I also looked at pink noise generated in the box both with and without the acoustic treatment.

835039065_3wZGR-M.jpg

The foam creates some extra bumps and wiggle from selective absorption and mixing up the modes in the chamber a bit.

With the foam in, I moved the head around the box without any headphones on. Quite a bit of variation.

835039087_Fd9Ue-M.jpg

Then I measured with pink noise in the box and the head in one position with sealed headphones on; then with the headphones off; then with the headphones back on again to see if it was fairly repeatable with replacing the headphones.

835039006_ptvCK-M.jpg

You can see the light blue and red trace follow each other fairly well after replacing the headphones on the head.

Otay, let's see if we get low enough noise floor to see the blips in the harmonic distortion spectra. Here it is with HD800s and the door open and closed.

835086102_ELPDE-M.jpg

You can see it would have been hard to see the harmonics if there had not been a chamber.

Here's the HD800 against the HD201 --- which of course has much more distortion.

835086035_s2NG9-M.jpg

Think the rise between 2.2 and 3.7kHz is from exiting vibrations in the plastic housing.

Looks like the noise floor is low enough to see the needed details.
clap.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #45 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I believe the plan for next year is that you will be building acoustically perfect rooms to host CanJam in?
happy_face1.gif

No, I'll be drilling small holes in people's head and peering in to see what's goin on in there while you listen to headphones.

Norton.gif

lol8.gif

wave.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back