Building a Headphone Measurement Lab
Apr 13, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #46 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I'll be drilling small holes in people's head and peering in to see what's goin on in there while you listen to headphones.

You'd be surprised to see what is going on inside my head.
tongue_smile.gif

You don't want to know.
confused_face.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #48 of 355
Quote:

I think it was Dread who asked about the effect of the chamber walls on open headphone acoustics, where reflections might get back into the cans and they certainly do. Just not a lot.

Yep, you can see those reflections in the impulse response.
Some interesting graphs you posted there, thanks!

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #49 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, you can see those reflections in the impulse response.

headscratch.gif

I don't think I posted any impulse response curves.

But it's a good idea, next time I do an impulse response curve I'll see if I can open the window far enough to see the reflection off the wall.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #50 of 355
Quote:

headscratch.gif

I should have written "you could see them in an impulse ...".

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #51 of 355
Ah! Cool.

I ran a complete headphone measurements series using HeadRoom's test procedure, It worked well. I'm going to do some fine tuning today and I'll post results.

If I've got time I'll see if I can run that impulse response out to see the reflection.
thumb.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #52 of 355
Apr 15, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #54 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamey Warren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your graph links seem to be requiring sign in at google sites. Maybe these docs need to be made public to be able to view them?

Thanks Jamey. Thought I did that but I guess it didn't stick.

Can someone try to download again and let me know if it works?

Thanks.
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #56 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
works fine now, thanks.

thumb.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #58 of 355
Well done Tyll.

V for 90 dB seems to be a bit off and I wonder why it varies so much between the measurements.
I think that adding a bit more foam will further improve the accuracy of the results! (Though it could get a bit too tight and hot for you in there.
wink.gif
)

Do you have any ideas why the square waves look so different?
And could you do the isolation response without headphones on the dummy head?
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #59 of 355
Another metric that I don't think anyone considers...consistency? Does one brand new pair of HD650's measure the same as another brand new pair? What if you only put hours on one pair, then A/B measurements would rule out changes in measuring tools and test environment. How about wood cups, like AH-D5000s? Are they consistent, being an organic material?

Once your test procedures are efficient enough to allow 'willy nilly' testing, I'd love to see what difference member's DIY mods make. You could be the definitive 'dyno tester,' to borrow from another DIY hobby. I'd make a reasonable donation to your non-profit to see how my rig specs out, I'm sure a lot of head-fiers would.

PS- Thanks for your contributions to the world of headphones. Even though I didn't make all of my purchases through Headroom, I've always referred to the data there when considering a new set of phones, comparing prospective purchases to things I already had. Matter of fact, it was Headroom where I read that my first headphones (senn HD250's) were "Big and light, but far too bright," kickstarting my pursuit of better cans to see what I was missing.
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back