Build your own high quality CD player
Aug 9, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #76 of 92
Nice work.. Just read the whole thread.. Not sure if you decided on a name, but maybe the Strohmbonie?
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to reading about how it sounds once you get all the minor stuff worked out!

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #77 of 92
This puppy is actually fully working at this point, and basically now that I've gotten it all together and completed the proof of concept, I'm going to tear it down again.
biggrin.gif

Here are the impressions I got at the most recent Central Illinois meet:

Audio Addict: "The focus after the break was on Strohmie's hand built CD player / amplifier. Of course, no meet would be complete without a shoot out and this meet was no different. The shootout was Strohmie's priceless unit and a Raptor and Meridian. Stromhie's creation was really amazing. So much so, Ray and Strohmie started talking some secret language that must only be known by electrical engineers. I will say Jane Monheit sounded very sweet. Of course with the external cd going round and round and round, it was very hynotic."

Ray Samuels: "One think got my full attension & surprised me, Jayson's [sic] hand made CD player. I read about it in some threads & many praised it but I never had the chance to see it or hear it until today. Was I in for a surprise. I was truely shocked when I took the line out of his cd player & connected it to both the Raptor first & the Hornet second. Is this really what I am hearing. Jane Monheit sounded so sweet? I sat for a very long time listening to this hand build cd player with out believing what it is outputing at it's RCA connectors. Jason should be proud of what he has accomplished becuase it really sounded great."

recstar24: "Strohmie's cdp was ace, man that thing had some crazy bass through its dynahi, but through the line out RCA's at the back, that thing was on par with the meridian 508.24 to say the least."

So at this point, given the successful build and public auditions, I think this thread has become nearly complete. I'm going to post an updated first post to basically round out the guide once I get back to Maryland later this week. As I do random other things with the player (I'm going to turn it back towards a pure transport/DAC and implement reclocking in the near future), I'll post progress, but at this point I think most people, with the proper motivation, can follow through the basic aspects of each part of the CD player. The Dynahi will be sold in parts to fund moving expenses and pay off the last of my school bills.

I have to give the most credit in this build to Pedja Rogic, who designed one incredible DAC that I used in this project. Ray was incredulous when I told him that the DAC within this player was non-oversampling, and based on a rather old chip in the 1541A. I urge anyone thinking about building their own DIY CDP or DAC to visit his website and read through the theory behind his design. I believe he has some boards still left over -- they're 40 Euro, but the sound it produces with the right parts is worth more than that.

Man am I a geek. Hope you guys out there got as much out of this as I did, and if I have convinced even one person that hi-fi sound is possible with your own hands, then I'm content.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #78 of 92
as a matter of interest what connectors are thoes you used to connect the psu to the main cdp?

Aug 9, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #79 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
as a matter of interest what connectors are thoes you used to connect the psu to the main cdp?

Amphenol, I don't have the actual part number offhand but it's 14 pins at ~22 gauge plus a thicker center pin -- they're available at Mouser.

Aug 10, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #80 of 92
Interesting thanks, I thought they looked like Nutrik Specons (spelling?). While they may be speaker connectors each terminal on thoes supports 30A DC, which is why a few companies (i think music fidelity?) used them for power.

Anyway i'll look into them. They certainly give your CDP the more built for business look
600smile.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #82 of 92
sorry to bump such an old thread but i have been considering building my own cd player similar to this one...

i was wondering if the "Philips CD-Module L1210/65" is as good as the "Philips CD-Pro2M" the 1210 has a tray and is less than a third of the cost of the CD-Pro2M...

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #83 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was wondering if the "Philips CD-Module L1210/65" is as good as the "Philips CD-Pro2M" the 1210 has a tray and is less than a third of the cost of the CD-Pro2M...

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but if it is a modern tray type... chances are, no.

Nov 30, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #84 of 92
May I also mention that is nearly impossible to find a L1210/65 anymore. AudioDIYlab probably won't stock them for quite some time, and daisy-laser never responds to my inquiries, so I couldn't get my hands on one.

I'm going for broke and just buying the real deal, my future self will thank me for doing that. And besides, the CDPro2M looks a lot more sturdy and cooler.
biggrin.gif

~Tom

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #85 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry to bump such an old thread but i have been considering building my own cd player similar to this one...

My old thread, back from the grave (and right as I'd started contemplating selling my now-headampless CD player from this thread now that my setup is mostly digital)...

Offhand unfortunately I don't know the quality of that unit. When I was planning my build I didn't investigate a CD tray unit simply because I had planned an open-spinning CD setup. But my guess is that unit isn't going to be quite as powerful as the Pro2M, though if you're building a strong DAC it might not matter too much.

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #89 of 92
Somewhere on my old computer are all the images from this thread, which got deleted when the gallery imploded. Will have to see if I can track them all down (and figure out which picture is which!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back