Build your own high quality CD player
Apr 27, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #48 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naruto
WoW Some people just got way too much money and free time 8 )

Free time. Too much money. Ha! Ha!
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #50 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygies
Don't they? Mine's AC, what's yours?

My Physics professor was doing a class about AC circuits, and in one of his usual tangents started talking about power lines and the nuances of reactive power (he kept saying "the imaginary part") and its use in maintaining the power grid rather than being for end-user consumption. So he got to the end of that and said, "you know, they [power companies] should start charging for imaginary power." All of us knew what he meant, but the way he said it was the amusing part. In other words, if you said that to a layman he or she might have a fit at the idea that they should be charged for power that (they'd think) doesn't exist.

Semantics joke. I don't know whether power companies charge for the reactive power required to maintain transmission networks, but my professor seemed to think they didn't.

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #51 of 92
First post updated, basically gives the full rundown on building the CD player and DAC together (save cleaning up the clock signal). Will be adding the headamp section soon, which will probably be brief considering there are plenty of threads and webpages around here I can reference. In other words, I'm not going to go into grand detail explaining how to build a Dynahi. Just don't have the time.
biggrin.gif

edit: just added a preface to the thread also, in regard to using more expensive parts for the job.

Apr 29, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #53 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Semantics joke. I don't know whether power companies charge for the reactive power required to maintain transmission networks, but my professor seemed to think they didn't.

I believe, but don't swear to it, that if you power factor correct your home, your electric bills go way down.

Jun 26, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #55 of 92
Rotary switch and stepped attenuator coming this week -- should be done in time for July 4th. Scrapping plans to reclock the player, simply don't have the time this summer to design what I want.

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #57 of 92
Nice work Jason... I can't wait to hear it.
340smile.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #58 of 92
strohmie, that is simply beautiful!
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #59 of 92
I only have one thing to say right now...

5660cdp1.jpg

[size=x-large]I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back